Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What if Reality isn't reality

Aosera

What if we are like "Sims". Its a simulation, so to us it is reality in the place we live in.

I was looking up Matrix and the movie on wiki was mentioning plato theory of "people living in a cave" theory, and was watching this video. Considering reality doesn't make too much sense, but for us it does make sense when we use logic to it. But its a insensical world because is reality sane?

The only thing that is real is math... but what if the real thing behind it is created and isnt real.

We can understand our world through science, our physical world. But what about reality, can we understand if real... is real.

Edited by Aosera
  • Brohoof 5

Naturally, if this is a simulation we lack the capacity to determine it is without interface from an entity capable of observing existence outside of it.

Regardless, we lack the capacity to fully understand our personal reality at any given moment. Our brains essentially jettison information they are not programmed to notice. We can collectively record information and use it to affirm the likelihood of our understanding of observable reality being accurate.

Logic cannot be used to infer things which exist outside of its parameters. We all develop systems of logic in response to observations in order to function. 

(This is why people who pride themselves on being logical are largely idiots, by the way. Congratulations, you process information according to your observable environment. So does everyone else and all their fleas.)

• Brohoof 2

Well, think about it like this. If we are all programs inside a simulated reality which is dictated by the laws of the reality behind it, that makes it a subdomain of that reality, meaning the simulation itself (and by extent us) is subject to that reality. 

To explain it in other words, if set x contains y, and y contains z, then x also contains z. In this case, X is reality, Y is the simulation, and Z is everyone in it. Even while operating under different sets of laws, we're still a subset of reality in general.

• Brohoof 4

Yeah to be honest my mental system is so big to the point that there's like another universe of logic and physics in there that run me! So with my theory everything is inside one big reality simulation system called the DATANET and it's located in the one and only real universe. Plus I can imagine equestria being created by humans in the far future to! :)

• Brohoof 2

5 hours ago, Aosera said:

What if we are like "Sims". Its a simulation, so to us it is reality in the place we live in.

I was looking up Matrix and the movie on wiki was mentioning plato theory of "people living in a cave" theory, and was watching this video. Considering reality doesn't make too much sense, but for us it does make sense when we use logic to it. But its a insensical world because is reality sane?

The only thing that is real is math... but what if the real thing behind it is created and isnt real.

We can understand our world through science, our physical world. But what about reality, can we understand if real... is real.

It's so cool of you to bring up such a deep topic. It's cool to talk about these things aside from the daily jibber jabber. I like the fact that this conversation is even excisting, because it makes me wonder why we question things out of our spectrum of power. Maybe it's not. Maybe there is something else we don't get that we can or cannot. 

Life could be a simulation. The very beings supposedly simulating us could themselves be simulations (maybe the word simulation isn't even appropriate due to that). Maybe we are a dream or imaginative concept within the mind of another being living in the real real universe (assuming there is one and assuming there aren't more than one).

The whole reality is an illusion concept is cool to think about. Even standing aside from that, there are many ways to imagine how the universe works. Maybe considering how it works is stearing us away from a real truth about something we can't get that would alude to some form of answer (assuming the ideas behind the words real, truth, things, and answer are even correct assumptions on what those words are actually refering to).

I myself am an overthinker (guilty XD, but I love it regardless), and I have about 4 theories on just how time works.

The amount of times I have considered how the universe works amounts to a scary and funny number XD.

So here you are reading my comment, possibly thinking about how certain things work, or thinking about how uncomfortable the chair is that you are sitting on. While you are reading it, I'm probably doing something else away from my phone. My life is not the same as yours, and yet we can both understand things that the other can explain, and yet there is a part of each others experiences that we can never know, or maybe we can.

I not only greet you in this brief time and in this long message, but I would like my consciousness and my soul to say hello too to you.

"Hello :)".

• Brohoof 1

If reality wasn't reality as we know it, then nothing about religions really exists, but at the same time, all of the religions exist. Because we all just exist in this world, and not even question reality, or at least not that often, we really don't know what 'reality' really is. If people would go to the ends of space, past everything and never stop, where do you think they'd end up? Do you think they'd eventually fall off something, or bump into something that may or may not be invisible? Would they just keep going for eternity and eventually grow old and die out in space? Then again, time passes differently on every planet, so what about just out in the vast space? Would it change with every planet you pass, and would your age fluctuate? We claim that we know how life works, but really, I haven't heard of anyone that came back to Earth, announcing that they've found the ends of the galaxy. That means that they've really never tried (probably because it would be suicide), or that they died trying. 

• Brohoof 1

I have thought in the past, even now that I could be in a coma right now, and this place isn't real, and one day I will wake up out of my coma and everything will be completely different. or something like that :derp:

• Brohoof 2

Well if that is the case.., it's likely that I have an asshole monitoring my life that whole time then. Go figures.

Edited by TBD
  • Brohoof 1

I just thought, if we were in a game like the sims, and then we play a game like the sims... and then the sims we are controlling in the game plays sims aswell.

Twilight_and_Pinkie_Pie_surprised_S4E14.thumb.png.f986c6ad9644f4f969a836b352cf5464.png

• Brohoof 3

Life could definitely be a simulation, but a problem is poses is "Is the universe that created the simulation real or inside of another endless cycle of simulations?"

Edited by Nerdy Luigi
  • Brohoof 3

Cool theory but even if our percieved reality is not the "true" reality it doesn't really matter. We are unable to influence it whatsoever so instead just focus on the reality u accept as the truth and enjoy it as long as it lasts.

• Brohoof 2

"There is no spoon."

*Matrix intensifies*

Well I mean, there are videos talking about how it's been "proven" that the Universe is just a hologram. Whether it's true or not, it doesn't matter that much, considering we'll likely find out eventually.

Although, speaking of the Matrix, so-called "glitch in the matrix" events could well be literal glitches.

• Brohoof 2

I've wondered about this stuff for a while, and my intro to philosophy class brought it up as well when discussing the nature of reality. I admit it's very intriguing. What if we're in the Matrix and a God figure is the administrator, developer, or both? Some Eastern religious traditions like Buddhism have also posited that reality is but an illusion. Maybe not specifically a simulation, but regardless, it's a similar idea.

• Brohoof 2

Some scientists think that we're mere numbers. ... That when we die, we might go into a temp_bg phase until we're reused and become something of the same kind. Reality is basically what we make it. A dreamworld within ourselves. ~

• Brohoof 1

what if our brains are just brains kept in jars on the outskirts of space and are being monitored by sentient polyps who program random a random simulation where anything can happen

I think reallity is in Equestria, and some pony that understands that are connected in this forum. Our lifes as we see it every day is just an illusion. What brings us toghether here has a deeper meaning in the future and you all will be aware later. Oh shit I´m royaly drunk so don´t listen to my lies *giggle* 

But honestly I would like to begin my life as an pony right now ! Because I´m more a pony than a human.

Celestia will show you the way, just be open to it....

On 09/11/2017 at 8:20 AM, General Solar Magus said:

It's so cool of you to bring up such a deep topic. It's cool to talk about these things aside from the daily jibber jabber. I like the fact that this conversation is even excisting, because it makes me wonder why we question things out of our spectrum of power. Maybe it's not. Maybe there is something else we don't get that we can or cannot. 

Life could be a simulation. The very beings supposedly simulating us could themselves be simulations (maybe the word simulation isn't even appropriate due to that). Maybe we are a dream or imaginative concept within the mind of another being living in the real real universe (assuming there is one and assuming there aren't more than one).

The whole reality is an illusion concept is cool to think about. Even standing aside from that, there are many ways to imagine how the universe works. Maybe considering how it works is stearing us away from a real truth about something we can't get that would alude to some form of answer (assuming the ideas behind the words real, truth, things, and answer are even correct assumptions on what those words are actually refering to).

I myself am an overthinker (guilty XD, but I love it regardless), and I have about 4 theories on just how time works.

The amount of times I have considered how the universe works amounts to a scary and funny number XD.

So here you are reading my comment, possibly thinking about how certain things work, or thinking about how uncomfortable the chair is that you are sitting on. While you are reading it, I'm probably doing something else away from my phone. My life is not the same as yours, and yet we can both understand things that the other can explain, and yet there is a part of each others experiences that we can never know, or maybe we can.

I not only greet you in this brief time and in this long message, but I would like my consciousness and my soul to say hello too to you.

"Hello :)".

Unfortunately/sadly, the fact that this conversation exists at all has stirred up some rather unwanted "drama" IRL. People have killed others, and they claimed that they "saved them from being deleted [from a simulation], or that they "woke them up". I don't even need to post any evidence here. Crazy stuff happens in the world...

I cannot remember the name of this theory/philosophy (some people even call it a religion), but the basic concept is as follows: we each exist in our own universe, and once we die, that universe ends. It's all very complicated - too much for any mortal mind to fathom.

I don't even want to try to figure out how this works... o_o

• Brohoof 1

4 hours ago, Feather Scribbles said:

Unfortunately/sadly, the fact that this conversation exists at all has stirred up some rather unwanted "drama" IRL. People have killed others, and they claimed that they "saved them from being deleted [from a simulation], or that they "woke them up". I don't even need to post any evidence here. Crazy stuff happens in the world...

I cannot remember the name of this theory/philosophy (some people even call it a religion), but the basic concept is as follows: we each exist in our own universe, and once we die, that universe ends. It's all very complicated - too much for any mortal mind to fathom.

I don't even want to try to figure out how this works... o_o

I don't take it to a level of religion. Religion is about belief, so I understand where those kinds of people could be coming from, but obsessing won't change what is therefore I choose to think about this stuff with joy and interest. Maybe one day such things could be changed, but people shouldn't harm their lives over it. There are more things to do and the human mind and body are capable of doing more than one life interest or task.

Thibking about these things does have a purpose in the way I see it. Just because we can't do anything about it now (assuming some can't already) doesn't mean we can't later ;). Dreams turn into goals and goal to realities. I kinda see it as evolution :).

• 3 months later...
(edited)

It's pretty interesting concept though I lean more towards the notion that there is no such thing as collective reality and we as ourselves are actually the only ones that exist everyone one else from you is their own reality as you are yourself we all were born from reality one just as we and the goal is to continue the cycle

Edited by New display name

superficial human scum... They mistake the definition of "real" even if we are a simulation, who's to say that all of existence, even the world in which are creators live, isn't also a simulation by law of natural order. Why worry about it? You make your own reality. Perceive the world as real and it shall be. If it is ever proven otherwise, then it still doesn't matter. What you do with your henceforth artificial life becomes what defines it. Real is relative to the person. From a certain mindset, the Universe simulates itself in a way. So, just don't worry about it.