Playstation 5.

CastletonSnob

PS4 came out in 2013?! 

Well...I feel so old now T_T 

Back on topic, That seems likely considering the pattern but I think they might postpone it to 2020 just for the Marketing and Hype

2020 is my guess. It's a big, bombastic sounding date. Would look perfect on all the adverts.

Playstation 5

02/20/2020

True Power Awaits

12 TFlop GPU 

12 GB GDDR5X VRAM

4.5 Ghz CPU with 16 cores

2TB PCIe NVMe SSD

Ultra HD Blueray optical drive

Price tag: $999.99

It will either be a PS5 OR another upgraded model, so an enhanced PS4 Pro I suppose. I suspect that to be announced at least in 2019, but most likely 2020. Microsoft is trying to shift away from 'console generations' so I am curious if Sony will follow in the same way.

57 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

It will either be a PS5 OR another upgraded model, so an enhanced PS4 Pro I suppose. I suspect that to be announced at least in 2019, but most likely 2020. Microsoft is trying to shift away from 'console generations' so I am curious if Sony will follow in the same way.

^No way would they scrap the console generations. That would be a travesty. I already suspect Microsoft isn't going to hold to that claim several years down the line. After all, they certainly changed their tune about the whole frame rate parity thing between the Xbox One S and the Scorpio (X).

7d71a686a9c6fd6155e9b2ef47f8a426154ee49e

^Also, this. I don't think Sony will renege on that stance. It would be a self cannibalizing move, tbh. For Xbox it is fine... for now. It's their best move they can make at the moment since they don't want the consumers who bought their original Xbox to feel like they got shafted. Sony is in a position where they are leading the industry of console gaming. Basically, they have the ability to start a new console generation outright instead of stealth releasing a new console gen like Microsoft :o 

• Brohoof 1

The PS5 will be the PS4 with slightly upgraded specs, a "slimmer" design, no more buttons, and a heftier price tag.

I wouldn't expect anything lower from a company who calls its critics racists and sexists. 

2 minutes ago, TheGOAT said:

The PS5 will be the PS4 with slightly upgraded specs, a "slimmer" design, no more buttons, and a heftier price tag.

I wouldn't expect anything lower from a company who calls its critics racists and sexists. 

^LMAO wtf!? [citation needed]?

Would you care to elaborate on that >.>;

6 minutes ago, TheGOAT said:

How are technology decisions connected to someone's social views? Also, are you referring to SIE or the film studio?

Anyway, 2020 seems like a good round number, however iterating on the PS4 may have extended the lifespan a few years. 

As far as features, we are at a point in the industry where it's hard to determine if hardware and software can be synergistic anymore. If they can simplify asset creation ... perhaps. It's almost like we will need a development paradigm shift at some point ... and that alone is likely the greatest threat to console gaming in general. I do think they'll win out in the end. As far as the PS5 I believe they will continue to iterate from here on out until creation and development goes through an an abstraction and simplification shift (similar to what happens routinely in web development where layers of abstraction are added). 

• Brohoof 1

• 4 weeks later...

I doubt it'll come out before 2020. The system will only be 5 years old next year, and that seems a little too quick for Sony to change, especially after releasing the PS4 Pro. I think the PS4 lasts at least 7 years before it's replaced. Unless the Xbox One X ends up dominating in sales.

On 6/14/2017 at 9:14 AM, K.Rool Addict said:

2020 is my guess. It's a big, bombastic sounding date. Would look perfect on all the adverts.

Playstation 5

02/20/2020

True Power Awaits

12 TFlop GPU 

12 GB GDDR5X VRAM

4.5 Ghz CPU with 16 cores

2TB PCIe NVMe SSD

Ultra HD Blueray optical drive

Price tag: $999.99

"True power awaits"

Still waiting on "Greatness".

Honestly, it really feels like only now the PS4 is really picking up, I remember being pretty underwhelmed by it's first couple of years as far as exclusives go

The current generation can't even be called old yet. There's no reason to even be thinking about the next one.

The big companies have also said something along the lines of making the current one last a bit.

With the more powerful PS4 still fresh from release I'd agree with others that we wouldn't see hide nor hair from a new Sony console until at least 2020. Which I always consider a good thing. To be honest I always prefer "longer" periods between console releases because it makes me feel like i'm getting the most out of the money I spent on that generations console. Sony has always been surprisingly consistent with this.

PSone: December 3, 1994 - Last game: Fifa 2005 (October 12, 2004) 11 years

PS2: March 4 2000 - Last game: Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 (11/8/13) 14 years

PS3: November 11 2006 - Catalog still ongoing after 11 years

This is what made Nintendo great too, but I noticed ever since the N64 their console lifespans started taking a dive

NES: July 15 1983 - Last game: Wario's Woods (December 1 1991) 8 years

SNES: November 21 1990 - Last game: Frogger (1998) 8 years

N64: June 23 1996 - Last game: Tony Hawk Pro Skater 3 (August 14 2002) 6 years

GameCube: November 18 2001 - Madden NFL '08 (August 14 2007) 6 years

Wii: November 19 2006 - Just Dance 2018 (October 2017) This ones a little weird. 12 years