Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2016 Hasbro font lawsuit

Dowlphin

The issue lies a bit in the past, so I'm wondering if more info has come to light by now. This article is the best I found so far:

https://www.fastcodesign.com/3056037/hasbro-sued-over-my-little-pony-font-piracy

I find it peculiar considering how rigidly Hasbro themselves tend to protect their stuff. Font licensing is such a basic topic for marketing people, I can hardly believe they made a grand scale basic mistake. And with the licensing system claims seeming very believable considering it's normal for commercial fonts to differentiate use scenarios, I find especially this line peculiar:

"According to the Font Brothers, they were in touch with Hasbro about the unauthorized usage of Generation B before filing a lawsuit, but the My Little Pony makers refused to license the font for commercial use."

That would mean they absolutely knew what license was asked for for using that font on a mass scale on merchandise packaging, but refused. And I'm wondering why. Hell, even if Hasbro lawyers found some loophole that made it legal for them, it would still be kind of a dick move. The kind that Hasbro themselves are typically trying to shield themselves from quite aggressively.

Edited by Dowlphin