Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What is the current canonicity of Bat Ponies?

flutterbard

Well they have appeared in the show once, were slated to appear again before getting cut due to time constraints, and appeared to be cannon to the novels. They were given the name Thestrals by Lauren Faust in the S2 script. 

So while they do exist in universe, there isn't much to go off of. Many thought it was gonna be Hollow Shades, but that was just the home for the pony of shadows. 

An unfortunate case of an interesting concept, but largely unexplored. They are indeed canon, but there doesn't seem any interest in expanding the lore of 'em bats :dry:. I hope we get some of that in the upcoming episode 200

• 2 years later...

Unfortunately we know very little about the actual canonicity of the bat ponies. All we really know is that some are Luna's guards. Although even that hasn't been explored much. Everything else about batponies is pretty much just left up to head-canons. It's really too bad. Batponies had a ton of potential, but the show never really gave us anything about them. They are still my second favorite creature in the show though.

I think everyone's already covered a lot of the technical stuff about the canonicity of the bat ponies, so I just want to pop in to say, I still *cannot believe* Fluttershy is canonically at least part bat pony after that apple-eating bat episode, and they just left us with that cliffhanger and it never came up again lmao