Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Drawing Ponies?

Fluttershyy

Hey everypony, I've seen a few YouTube videos of people drawing/coloring ponies on their computers. I'm just wondering what program to they use to do this? Paint.NET? PhotoShop?? Or something else??

Thanks.

Hey everypony, I've seen a few YouTube videos of people drawing/coloring ponies on their computers. I'm just wondering what program to they use to do this? Paint.NET? PhotoShop?? Or something else??

Thanks.

Link the video and I will tell you xD

Thanks.

Depends on what you're going for. For practice, just open up MS Paint and get working on practicing anatomy and getting used to drawing with a mouse/trackpad. Once you can do that there, a nice free alternative to PS is The GiMP.

Thanks.

For vectoring, photoshop or Inkscape.

For coloring, I tend to just use Gimp.

(edited)

Every time people say photoshop, I cringe. xD Illustrator is so much better.

EDIT: I use PaintTool SAI for everything, it's better then gimp that's for sure.

Edited by Bohtty

Ok, thanks!

Depends on what you're going for. For practice, just open up MS Paint and get working on practicing anatomy and getting used to drawing with a mouse/trackpad. Once you can do that there, a nice free alternative to PS is The GiMP.

Thanks, i'll try this out.

Every time people say photoshop, I cringe. xD Illustrator is so much better.

EDIT: I use PaintTool SAI for everything, it's better then gimp that's for sure.

I'm not a professional, so I can't be bothered to check to see what's the "best" for me. If it works, it's fine with me.

I use GIMP to sketch characters and to paint backgrounds personally. PaintTool SAI is really good too though not as cheap as GIMP is, GIMP being free and all. Photoshop has considerable advantages over GIMP but one would hope so for the amount of cash you need to shell out for a legitimate copy of the software.

Inkscape is a fantastic program for cleaning up drawings because it gives you line-weighting presets (these are especially good for drawing the FiM characters), it's vector-based and it's free.

My process hasn't always been the same and probably will change in the future but, for now, it goes like this:

1. Rough sketch in GIMP.

2. Clean line work in Inkscape.

3. Colouring in Toon Boom Studio 6.

Toon Boom is technically an animation software but that doesn't mean you can't create still images with it. It's also pricey (~$200) but worth it if you've chosen animation as a career path.