Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

In Rememberance

SharpWit

In the States today is Veteran's Day, and the marking of the one hundredth anniversary for the ending of the Great War, better known these days as World War 1. The official signing of the armistice between the remaining Central Powers and the Triple Entente took place upon the eleventh hour of the eleventh day of this the eleventh month of our calendar year within France. I intend to stay up for this historical moment, and honor those whose lives were lost in this tragic conflict with a moment of silence. No just for my own countrymen, not just the soldiers, but everyone of the millions of people who suffered. The hand strikes in just over an hour. I ask that all willing do the same when they get the chance. Thank those who have so bravely served and continue to serve whether by choice or to put it plainly, having had a stroke of bad luck. thank them for their sacrifice and be thankful for the time you have with friends and family. Times can be tough, times can be good, and it's those whom we love so dearly that see us through the darkness. Those we love from the moment we set eyes on them to those we love out of blind comradery. Come together this day as a reminder that though so many are gone that the passage of time has not weathered our appreciation or memory of them.

In commemoration of this day I will include a playlist consisting of the anthems from the time of the participant nations in the war. They are played in order of when the nations became involved relative to each other. The playlist does not consist of every participating nation but primarily those who had boots on the ground in mainland Europe and were directly involved in the main fighting. It does not included the broader scope of nations and peoples under greater empires or colonial rule. This was done out of personal preference and by no means belittles or diminishes the effort and lives given by those who played a role from the far or even near reaches of the globe. Feel free to post additional anthems and related songs, maybe even wartime stories you've heard from relatives or somehow connected with you.

Related image

• Brohoof 6

The one conflict that completely changed the attitudes of the entire human race towards warfare. War was almost treated like a sport for thousands of years. It was a way of life. People were celebrating when the first great war was declared. The fact that they were in tears when the second one started shows just how impact the first world war was. 

A video to help visualize the abhorrent loss of life. 

Also I'd like to thank the band Sabaton for their tributes to those who fought and the battles that took place. 

• Brohoof 3

1 hour ago, Team Clayne said:

Huh... and here I always thought Veteran's Day honors all veterans, no matter what war they were in. D:

It does, but that tradition came after WWII. Before that it was armistice day. And while all veterans are to be honored, this day especially marked the end of the first world war and the end of the heinous loss of life never before seen up to that point. With the second war, the first is often overlooked and this day reminds us never to forget what was arguably a more grim and brutal war than what came after. 

• Brohoof 2