Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

animation Naruto censorship

Yashiru

On 11/13/2018 at 10:53 PM, cuteycindyhoney said:

I think that the most evil person/movement in human history appropriated the mark. It is forever tainted. No one could ever see it and not think of thousands of innocent people being slaughtered. I also think it's rather naive to pretend not to understand why millions of people world wide see it as the ultimate symbol of HATE from the darkest period of human history. It has no place in a children's cartoon. It had no place in the manga as well. Presenting it as a mirror image is a pathetic attempt to give it legitimacy. I truly think the original artist should be ashamed of trivializing it this way.

So are you going to tell devout Buddhists that they must change the art and symbols of their temples that have stood for hundreds if not a thousand plus years? Should shows from Buddhist nations have to hide their history due to western choice to be ignorant? 

I get why they made the choice. Financially it's a wise move. Outside of that, I feel fear of a symbol is cowardly and refusal to understand that just because two symbols look similar it does not make them the same is deliberately ignorant.  

40 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Anyone who sees it will automatically think it's a relatively little know Buddhist symbol.

Isn't it a pretty common Buddhist symbol though? 

40 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

The artist did it intentionally to generate controversy

I'm gonna have to disagree with you. The Japanese schools focus very little on the western part of world war 2(or the war in general for that matter), so it's entirely possible that the author wasn't aware of all the horrible things Nazi Germany did, similar to how most people in Europe aren't aware of all the horrible things the Japanese did in world war 2.  

Edited by Sun Wukong
  • Brohoof 2

22 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

That is not what I said. Do not put words in my mouth.

The ? at the end of a sentence means its a question, not a statement. So I did not put anything on you. I asked a question. Just because some people see it one way because they are ignorant does not mean that people need to stop using it. Should Buddhist Temples in the west be forced not to use it? Should we fear all symbols because some one bad might one day use them? No. That is foolish. So I see no difference here. The artist did it for controversy and not to use a Buddhist symbol in a show based in Asian traditions? You know that for a fact how? 

25 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Anyone who sees it will automatically think it's a relatively little know Buddhist symbol.

Little known symbol? Pretty well known in Japan. Pretty sure its well known in other Buddhist rich nations. Which are some of the most populous on earth sooooo. :mlp_please:

27 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

I just know it was wrong to trivialize it by including it in a cartoon or manga.

That is YOUR projection of its use. Not the authors unless you can prove it was done for that reason. 

Just now, cuteycindyhoney said:

I question you bending over backwards to justify using the number one world wide recognized symbol of HATE. I'm done here.

Except its not that symbol its clearly flowing the way of the Buddhist symbol. An Asian show using Buddhist iconography is a shocK? :confused: 

• Brohoof 1

I have to disagree with you Jedishy. You need to consider the target audience. That manga is written and drawn for, f.e. since I don't really know the origin, Japan for Japan.

The symbol there might have predominantly different meaning, it might be not the author's plan to target the western countries with it. The symbolism can make perfect senses in Asian centered regions ad people in there will not automatically assume it's Nazi related given their knowledge of its true meaning.

3 minutes ago, Passion said:

it might be not the author's plan to target the western countries with it. The symbolism can make perfect senses in Asian centered regions ad people in there will not automatically assume it's Nazi related given their knowledge of its true meaning

That is what I am saying. So What are we in disagreement on? I am honestly confused. 

...nevermind I guess. I misread things, like seriously misread them. Issues when posting early in the morning after waking up, I guess.

I'm in total support of its censorship. I don't know Japan's association with the symbol, and I understand it's supposed to represent a much more positive meaning in Buddhism. But Naruto is also consumed in the West; when we think of the the swastika here, we automatically associate it with Nazis, and it's still prolifically used as an anti-Semitic symbol. It is forever tainted.

• Brohoof 1

1 minute ago, Passion said:

...nevermind I guess. I misread things, like seriously misread them. Issues when posting early in the morning after waking up, I guess.

LOL its cool. I do that myself if I do not have coffee. I get why they made the decision from a money point of view. I get why some people could even make could be upset by it. It does not mean it should be censored though. I believe if we had MORE use of the Buddhist symbols the association could be changed and the power for hate would be diminished.