Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Epic Games buys Psyonix, creators of Rocket League

Kyoshi Frost Wolf

https://www.theverge.com/2019/5/1/18525842/epic-games-psyonix-acquisition-rocket-league-fortnite-unreal-deal

Epic Games is becoming worse by the minute. They have announced their acquisition of the studio Psyonix, the makers of Rocket League and now the game's future on Steam looks like it could end soon. All of this is for the sole purpose of holding a game hostage on their own shitty storefront, but this time it will be permanent and they devoured an entire studio to do it.

I didn't think Epic Games could possibly get any worse, but this is a new low. They are getting to Activision levels to me, but in a different way. Instead of using all of this Fortnite money to innovate, to create new things, they instead steal other games to push them onto their terrible Epic Store. The Epic store is trash, missing many of the most basic features, but THIS is what they focus on instead.

Reviews for the game on Steam are already going downhill and it is entirely deserved. Epic Games now has an ego the size of Jupiter. The success of the cancerous Fortnite has shown the hideous, true colors of this company. They are just another corporate mass, like many others. While I didn't play much of Rocket League anymore, I doubt I will ever boot the game up again and I own it on Xbox One and Switch. Playing it now would simply feel dirty. Hey Epic, maybe you should make your store not horrible FIRST before taking games hostage.

Any thoughts on this? As you can see, this bothers me a lot and I am not even a PC gamer. Epic is becoming more and more arrogant with each passing day.

• Brohoof 3

14 minutes ago, Kyoshi said:

Reviews for the game on Steam are already going downhill and it is entirely deserved

Why? Have the game, not the store it's sold on, become worse as a result of this? 

Like, I understand somewhat why people are annoyed by this but I don't get why they have to shit on the game because of it.

• Brohoof 1

Just now, Black Sabbath said:

Why? Have the game, not the store it's sold on, become worse as a result of this? 

Like, I understand somewhat why people are annoyed by this but I don't get why they have to shit on the game because of it.

That is yet to be determined, but Psyonix is playing right into this terrible practice by Epic. Buying a studio out is one thing, but to do it just for the sake of having their game be exclusive to one's vastly inferior storefront is a whole new ball game. Psyonix is digging their own hole with this.

Just now, Kyoshi said:

That is yet to be determined,

Then how is bombing the reviews of the game is "entirely deserved". The reviews of a game should reflect the quality of the game, not the company that owns it.

• Brohoof 3

Just now, Black Sabbath said:

Then how is bombing the reviews of the game is "entirely deserved". The reviews of a game should reflect the quality of the game, not the company that owns it.

Way I see it, it is a form of protest. It's as good of a form of protest as any.

• Brohoof 1

And the EPIC WARS continue...

8p6juEQ.png

I'm a PC gamer and I wish all these ridiculous platforms died as soon as possible and it's not about Epic Store only. I already have enough of it. >_>

Got Assassin's Creed on Humble Monthly - never was a fan of these series, but wanted to give it a try - - - "yo get uplay first" - - okay that's enough of that attempt, fine, thanks for encouraging me to give it a try. Result - game is bad, I'm unable to change my mind. :laugh:

Now there's Call of Duty this month and literally the same, never got into these, buuuut was considering giving it a try - "yo get bootle.net first" - - Okay, maybe I'll pass and don't get this bundle... :okiedokieloki:

Creating accounts all over the place, remembering passwords (I have different for each site), managing the games that are all over the place -- come on, it's ridiculous. Weren't things supposed to be getting more convenient? Why are we going back? I literally would prefer putting discs into optical drive, than download all these unwanted platforms, that require updating almost every single day. Poor PC's, having to install tons of garbage on them. :(  DRM-FREE downloaded from site would be, let's say, an acceptable workaround - at least I wouldn't have garbage that I don't use on my PC.

I already have these accounts all over the place, but I don't want to install whole platforms just for ONE or up to FEW games.

This is why I absolutely don't care about (most of) AAA studios and everything they make. They're greedy most of the time anyway, with these ridiculous (sometimes p2w) mtx and whatsoever. Why bother then. --but now I see it goes a step further with each day that passes.

PC gaming is getting worse every single day.

That was slightly off-topic, but consider that as an introduction. :P 

As for what's discussed in this thread - I agree; I do not like what's happening there. Epic is really a pain. Other platforms are "euh" too, but at least they're not invading other devs.

Though this coin has two sides of course. There is a reason why they consider selling themselves out to Epic. It's because hosting a game on Steam is rather expensive. Epic's offer is simply way better, so this is a neat option for them to consider I imagine. From what I know, Steam takes about 30% of profit, where Epic slightly over 10% only + perhaps gives some extra bonuses for devs to keep these exclusive.

While I understand studios making these choices, the players are punished. They make better deals, okay, but what about players? Why we have to suffer? That is why they do what they can to express their thoughts and feelings, hence reviews. What else can they do? Complain on MLPF? Devs won't notice, nor care. :P   

17 hours ago, Kyoshi said:

Reviews for the game on Steam are already going downhill and it is entirely deserved.

I agree, that negative reviews is a deserved output. Well, as long as the game won't be taken out from Steam, it's not really deserved, as this simply can be ignored. Who cares what the devs do somewhere else, BUT if they do take the game out from there, then that is what they deserve. Also it does have a purpose - tons of negatives on Steam encouraging to not buy the game? If there is a chance, that it will be gone from Steam at some point, then it is a legit reason to not recommend purchasing the game there.

This form of protest is a good one indeed, I support it. :mlp_proud:

Sure the game itself should be reviewed, not its whereabouts, but what happens behind the scenes is also important. For example you can't say a game is amazing when its EULA openly yells, that it will collect your data and do whatever it wants with that, even though the game itself is a masterpiece. Same as software developers tend to get negatives on their new products just for the fact they had some issues in the past regarding safety, it's a sort of a warning to not trust them - oh hey, this is what applies to Epic Store actually. I've heard there were issues with users' data and privacy in the past. :dash: No wonder why people take it that dramatically then. :mlp_bedeyes:

Sweet Celestia what have I done. Much rant very aggressive. :D 

I just wish PC had only one legit friendly store... Some competition is okay I suppose, but not if we're punished for that like this. Steam pls come up with better offers, you have the power to make pc gaming an even better place. :P 

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...