Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Metal albums released by non-metal artists?

Sepul-Coloratura

I was listening to King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard's Infest the Rat's Nest and wondered, were there more metal albums released by non metal artists? (I mean artists that were not known for doing metal stuff by the time) And when I say metal, I mean undoubtly metal stuff.

The more drastic change the artist made, the better. King Gizzard's release was pretty surprising and they have shown versatility, but they were capable of being so heavy before. (Nonagon Infinity, Murder of the Universe etc.)

Can you name some examples?

Edited by Sepul-Coloratura
  • Brohoof 1

Off the top of my head, I'd say Alice Cooper. Shock rock through the 70s all the way to the early 90s. But Brutal Planet and Dragon Town? Those are like industrial metal albums. 

Skid Row is mostly hard rock, but Subhuman Race veers into alt. metal territory. 

Story of the Year are like post punk/ post hardcore but The Black Swan is borderline metalcore.

And I may catch some flack for this, but I consider Black Sabbath to be hard rock. Ozzy, Bill and Geezer all say they're a rock band. Think about it. What makes them different from Deep Purple or Led Zepplin? It wasn't until Ozzy steeped out and Ronnie James Dio stepped in that they sounded more in line with the new wave of Brittish heavy metal rather than the hard rock bands of the 70s.  

• Brohoof 1

This this new artist named Poppy who usually does like pop music. But started making metal songs. Idk if she did an album but def. multiple heavy metal songs. 

• Brohoof 2