Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Ambition for Ascension

Loud Opinion

@Loud Opinion @Califorum

Starlight nodded in agreement to Limbo’s statement. It was touching to have somepony already so willing to understand her side of things. Sometimes, ponies just can’t see the gifts being bestowed right in front of them. However, she didn’t believe that that made them any less deserving of one. In Starlight’s mind, even the most selfish and resistant of ponies deserved the blessings of a utopia.

“I will agree that converting the ‘willing’ ponies is a lot quicker and easier than trying to convert a resister,” she told Limbo. “However—“ she raised a bent hoof in the air for emphasis. “I do not agree with letting the resistant ponies wander. They are the ones that need understanding and compassion the most. If we let ponies we didn’t like live in pain while the rest of us suffered, then there would be no truth behind our words,”

She soon turned to face the inevitable duel. With squinted eyes, she watched as Magnolia prepared her first attack. Series of solid shadows thrust themselves towards Silver Tongue. They threatened to throw him to the side, and if he was not careful, they would succeed. Starlight was secretly rooting for Silver, so she hoped that he would find a way to deflect the attack.

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-02-24 at 8:07 AM, Loud Opinion said:

@abrony-mouse

Octavia let her shivers subside when she opened the door to her residence. In hindsight, a roommate would have been very useful as a lone mare in a new town, but she couldn't give up the idea of complete privacy.

"The rest of the orchestra is going to feel quite vindicated after word gets out about this." She said with a hoof rubbing her temple as she entered. She held the door for Fuchsia. On the door, a very deliberate-looking marking was close to the hoof, drawing attention.

The inside of the small house was very lacking in decor. A single chair next to another door, a coat rack, and a minimalist chandelier were all that occupied the purple room. Clearly, she doesn't get many guests.

Fuchsia makes small talk with Octavia as they trot back, trying to keep the calm that the frazzled mare had been able to maintain after their initial meeting. In the same spirit she replies to Octavia's self-conscious nattering. However, as Octavia held open the door for her, she was in the middle of politely thanking her when a manticore paw slammed onto the doorframe by Octavia's hoof. She blinked and her eye twitched to the right, near Octavia's hoof. She examined the mark as closely as she could, not immediately alerting Octavia to it and trotting inside, but making a mental note of it and meaning to investigate it further.

Fuchsia smiles at the inside of the clearly temporary accommodation. "Who are you renting this place from, might I ask?" Fuchsia asks innocently, as if it was just another small talk inquiry, not wanting to raise Octavia's guard.

• Brohoof 2

@ExplosionMare @Califorum

"I see where we differ," Limbo replied, "You are very empathetic. You look at Magnolia, and you see an animal with a limp. You look at me, and you see a healthy lamb."

"We must temper our empathy with humility," Limbo let a gentle smile show through. She knew she was using Starlight's own themes against her, and the thought made her a little giddy. "You are no better than Magnolia. If you do not understand why she clings to her power, you can never convince her to let it go."

If Limbo sounded innocent before, her tone is downright motherly now, "Your nature makes it tempting to keep pushing, but you are only pushing her away. You've worked yourself into a no-win situation with Magnolia."  Limbo paused, looking for the right words, "If your way is true, then it will speak for itself. That's all I'm trying to say is to have faith in your way of life."

Silver tumbled across the floor like a statue. Brittle and stiff. He never flinched from his pose, and small flakes fell from him with every impact. Magnolia's throw was off. The tendrils dug in further than they should and dissipated mid-toss. He was barely sent a meter into the air. Still, Magnolia's follow-up struck true with crackling smoke rising from the strike.

From Starlight and Limbo's angle, they could see that, behind the smoke, Silver's back had split open. From the opening, a horde of moths spilled out. They shoot out of the smokescreen, first like darts through a paper sheet, then like a waterfall piercing through the surface of a lake. They moved faster than the mind could think. Their very appearance overloaded the senses causing nausea and vertigo.

Maybe it was the barrier, or perhaps Limbo's doing, but Starlight had no problems with the moths. "Don't worry about Silver's back," Limbo advised realizing how shocking the sight may have been, "He's just being dramatic. He'll be as good as new as soon as the fight's over.

"That's a tough strategy, especially for a unicorn. If Magnolia doesn't have a good answer, she might have already lost. Sorry that Silver isn't giving you a lot to learn from. It's been a while, so maybe he's just excited."

@abrony-mouse

Octavia raised an eyebrow. Renting would have been the smart decision in hindsight. "Renting would have defeated the whole point of coming to Ponyville. I want to be the master of my fate. Even if my home isn't very impressive, the fact that I can call it mine without a caveat is well worth it."

"Besides, the cultural exchange bargain the Glover's were hosting was too good to pass up."

The Glovers are known for their warm textiles and affordable fashion. They prided themselves on making practicality appealing to the eye. The secret was in making complete sets of clothing to avoid the mix-and-matched look of most working-class types. Hardy boots think coats and complementary accessories like hats and scarves. The lower class tended to have little care for the ponies that design their clothes and seldom remember their names. It was quite a surprise to most of Canterlot and Manehatten to see such a passionate reaction to the death of the younger Glover brother.

When the name came up, Fushia could remember Phantom bringing up the tragedy in one of his letters. His eloquent tangents were finally bearing some fruit.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

@ExplosionMare @Loud Opinion

Starlight and Limbo's conversation falls away in Magnolia's mind, much like a fragile clump of snow being tossed into a flowing river. The appearance of the moths was quite surprising but considering Silver Tongue's 'affinity' for it within Magnolia's mind, a part of her were not quite as surprised as one would think. He was one of words, one word wouldn't hurt. But many would. Just like moths. Her previous plan wouldn't work.

Upon realizing of the moths Magnolia figured she would likely be swarmed by them. The darkness flowed around her like a whirlwind yet silently. Upon this whirlwind of darkness the moths would possibly be tossed away or injured, but considering the strange properties of Silver Tongue's act what Magnolia might expect might not be what actually is. She realized that transforming her form might potentially be dangerous here, considering what had happened in the forest outside of the temple. She had another idea.

Seeing as Silver Tongue had dissipated away Magnolia's tendrils, new ones had formed from Magnolia's hooves and did some sort of coiling motion, lurching forth towards Silver Tongue and hardened as they flew through the air, and then locked themselves around his legs . The Tendrils then tossed Silver Tongue aside. Then, they suddenly let go. For a few moments nothing else had happened. Magnolia then sneered, and another sort of barrier within Magnolia's whirlwind was formed. It was almost like a dark sheet of crystal, with a black fog around it that seemed to flow around Magnolia's form, and then expand covering over the rough area where the designated fighting area was. Some sort of shield perhaps.

Starlight and Limbo could see well enough though, vaguely seeing Magnolia and Silver Tongue through the dark fog. Then like a charging wolf Magnolia with great animalistic ferocity charged at Silver tongue, the barrier popping off a long black rod of sorts that fell into Magnolia's telekinetic influence as she ran. She had attempted to charge into Silver Tongue with the black rod, and deal physical blows before backing off rapidly. The black rod, and the shield were entirely solid. With her focus, she had made them solid in order to take any damage Silver Tongue might intend to do with Magnolia.

As these events were unfolding, Magnolia's mind was peculating with possible attacks, and plans.  

Edited by Califorum
  • Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion @Califorum

Starlight nodded in agreement with Limbo. They did indeed see things differently, but that did not mean perspectives couldn’t be altered later. The truth of the matter was, Limbo needed just as much help as Magnolia, or as Silver. None of them could be complete without Equality. Inequality, as plainly as everypony here could see, is what caused a vicious duel to break out. As long as there were differences in power, there was disharmony. Speaking in terms of powers, Limbo had brought up a valid point.

“Understanding her is one of many goals I wish to accomplish with her,” Starlight confided. “What I believe right now is that she is riddled with pain and insecurity. She does not yet understand how her Cutie Mark and her egotistical thinking has damaged her,”

Starlight sighed as Limbo adapted a more empathetic, almost nurturing tone. Most everypony so far had little faith in Starlight, but not Limbo. She understood Starlight’s plight and how challenging it could be at times to make ponies understand. Equality was definitely something to work at, but once it was achieved, the rewards far outweighed the risks. That is all Starlight wishes to teach.

“I have more faith in the truth of Equality than anything. With time, even somepony as...broken as Magnolia will discover the true meaning of destiny,” she replied.

She realized that calling somepony “broken” may have been a step too far but she could not think of a better word to replace it. As eloquent with her words as she liked to be, at times it felt as if she was not saying what she really needed to say. Perhaps, however, she had said exactly what she needed to. She was bound to saying the truth, and only the truth. Sometimes it just had to come out more directly.

In the distance, she took notice of the duel that was unfortunately still occurring. Magnolia continued to strike with shadows as usual. Silver, on the other hoof, took a much more dramatic approach. His back split open and out flew a swarm of moths. Starlight wasn’t sure how they got there, but at the same time, she didn’t care much. Maybe it was the display of arrogance, maybe it was the very idea of a duel. Whatever it was, it seemed to disconnect Starlight.

Limbo had mentioned the possibility of Silver winning, despite how early it was in the duel. She nodded, only because she knew that the sooner somepony “won”, the sooner this whole mess would be over with.

• Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion @Califorum @ExplosionMare

As Octavia was small-talking, detective Fuchsia's ears pricked up at the name Glovers. She had heard that name before, successful clothiers and philanthropists and - she recalled the death of the younger Glover coming up. There was one line if inquiry anyway - perhaps the death was somehow connected to this poor mare's issues? 

"Cultural exchange bargain?" Fuchsia asks half small-talking and half wondering about the connection with the Glovers, "The Glovers subsidise your stay in Ponyville?"

As she is waiting for Octavia's response Fuchsia gazes round the room, looking for further marks like the one on the door and also for any other things that seem out of place. As she listens to Octavia and the pleasant clopping of her hooves on the wooden floor of the property her horsey tail flicked side to side, as it tends to when she is musing over a lead. What could that mark have meant? She also idly sniffs the air, just in case there was any clue there - eg pony magic sometimes left a little metallic taste after a cast, and changelings could sometimes be given away by the lack of smell. 

• Brohoof 2

• 2 weeks later...

@Califorum @ExplosionMare

"And, that's the match!" Announced Limbo, knocking Magnolia right out of her mojo. Had she won? No, it was much more likely that Silver's ritual had taxed him too much. The stallion was so old he knocked himself out! Without a doubt, when Magnolia turned around, she would see Silver Tongue shamefully sprawled out on the ground.

However, a terrifying truth was just below her hooves. With one glance down, she would see it: her failure. The line of salt that was supposed to be the fighting ring was between her forehooves. If one was within the ring, the other had to be outside of it. All of that preparation, all of that careful planning dashed away on a technicality.

Magnolia was attempting to charge Silver, so how did she end up here? Why did she stop if she never felt any impact? How did she forget that she was trying to hit Silver?

Silver then strode up to Magnolia. Not a shred of pride was buried under the wrinkles on his face. Instead, a face a teacher would make toward a problematic child was in its place. "I did not expect you to win this fight, but I gave you a chance to prove yourself, and you failed. What if I were an enemy and I lead your charge straight into Miss Dreams?

"You are too easily manipulated. Learn patience. Death lusts after you, Magnolia. Your knowledge of the dark arts is like a delicious seasoning, and your recklessness is like a dinner bell. Do not tempt it further.

"I trust you have no more doubts, Starlight," Silver raised his voice without turning his head, "Your sophistry only works with the weak-willed. However, I'm not so barbaric as to make my dissenters bleed. This!" Silver said with great emphasis, finally turning to face Starlight, "is how you make your point without fighting."

@abrony-mouse

Octavia was conflicted by the implication Fushia paved the way for. 
"You think that has something to do with this. The Glovers are the most generous ponies in Ponyville." Weren't they? Octavia gave no credence to such doubts, but a nagging feeling told her there was another pony befitting that description. It was as if some spell had mismatched everyponies' names and accomplishments within Octavia's mind. Octavia is disciplined, though. She believed she would not let such trickery win when the magic responsible was so easy to detect.

"So, how is this going to work? Are you going to wait in the other room for me to sleep and come in after an hour or so?"

• Brohoof 2

For a second Magnolia had thought she won as Limbo called out. Knocked out of her focus, whatever spells she was doing were disrupted. The shadows she was doing retreated back to where they came. The tendrils vanished. Magnolia's tools for the duel were no longer there. She looked down at her hooves. She felt something at her hooves she didn't expect. It was the salt! She bore a look of confusion as her eyes scanned the circle. She had lost due to such a technicality. She bore a look of rage, and then horror at her loss here. It was not something that Silver Tongue struck her down with. It was her own error. Magnolia only had herself to blame. 

Magnolia stood there like a filly that was being scolded. She was extremely frustrated at what was going on. Not only did she lose, she felt rather humiliated in front of Starlight. A few awkward moments of silence passed as Magnolia processed the situation. She turned away from the others, not looking at Starlight as Silver gestured to her. "I-I only lost due to the technicality of the circle..." she'd gesture to the circle. Her words were more of disbelief, rather than rage. Lashing out at anyone here would only prove Silver Tongue's case. It took a lot of restraint but she managed to restrain herself.

"I understand your...point...I have much to learn. Perhaps if you were more clear with your words, we wouldn't be in this situation." Magnolia shook her head, and then seemed to straighten up as if hiding away her embarrassment. She then would walk slowly out of the circle. 

However she snapped back to Silver Tongue, in a quick manner as if eyeing up her prey but she just stood there in some weird sort of stance like a caged animal. "Just do me one favor...Don't applaud her at my...shortcomings. You know what she wants. That much is obvious." she'd huff at those words. She felt more shame than she had in a very long time. Her mind would take time to process this.

Edited by Califorum
  • Brohoof 1

@Loud Opinion @Califorum

Starlight stared in bewilderment as the duel finally commenced. Contrary to her expectations, neither Silver nor Magnolia were laying defeated on the ground. She had initially deduced that the two had found a way to resolve their differences by seeing that they could not outmaneuver one another. She discovered the true reason behind the duel’s end when she saw the panicked look on Limbo’s face. Starlight peered in her direction to see what had disturbed her so badly and observed that one of her hooves had clumsily stepped inside of the fighting ring. The small technicality had forced the duel to end, therefore resulting in no winners. Starlight was both very pleased and very tense about the situation. She was glad nopony could hurt each other anymore, but she was worried that fighting would still occur even if it wasn’t physical.

Starlight was right, in a way. Silver was still very upset at Magnolia. Magnolia’s ego had offended Silver to the point of absolute frustration and rage. His feelings were so strong that he had suddenly directed them at Starlight. It was strange, considering they had not spoken much before. Starlight spoke up, preparing herself to defend her beliefs once again.

“Ponies who do not accept Equality are only putting themselves in danger. You say that persuading the more ‘temperamental’ ponies is what causes them distress, but that is not the case. They are subjecting themselves to loneliness, conceit, and fear. Both of you demonstrated the consequences of letting your pride get in the way of your happiness,” she declared, giving Silver a cold stare.

She paced towards Magnolia, circling her as if she was her prey. She couldn’t help but look at her with satisfaction. Hour by hour, her resolve was breaking. She imagined it would not be too much longer until her walls fell down completely. Once that happened, she could finally convince Magnolia that giving up her Cutie Mark was beneficial. She internally reveled at that possibility.

She soon trotted back to Silver, returning her face to its previous stare. She held her head up and looked directly at him before she spoke. She had to maintain an authoritative disposition if she wanted a chance to be taken seriously.

“You know, yelling doesn’t get the point across as much as you believe,” she stated bluntly. “A calm voice can be just as powerful and twice as effective,”

• Brohoof 1

Magnolia's unforgiving eyes watch as Starlight circled around Magnolia. She gave her a very stern intimidating glare with her eyes and proceeded to adopt the same mannerism as she had entered. Magnolia realizes that she had to double down on her act. No more weakness. No more showing any glimpses of what she actually was. Starlight and the others had already seen far too much. Magnolia would deny them anymore of it. While the duel did not go as she wanted, Magnolia didn't lose. But still technically she was responsible for her own failure there. But somehow, she had lost track of the edge of the duel area. 

As Starlight rambled on about her nonsense, Magnolia was thinking about what could have happened. Did Silver Tongue do something that caused her to lose track of what she was doing? Last she remembered, she was in the midst of attacking him. But then...something happened. She'd keep her question buried for now. Silver Tongue had to have done something. Perhaps an illusion or something she had no way to prepare for. Or maybe Magnolia was just plain too distracted to realize the area where they were dueling was too close to the edge. Whatever the case, Magnolia believed something was up. But she would not question it verbally for now. She'd let Starlight make a fool of herself here.

Magnolia could only help but grin darkly for a split second as Starlight blabbered on about her delusions. Magnolia only spoke a few words to Starlight, but after that she would speak no more. "Your delusions are only nails in your own coffin. You will see in time." her words were spoke in an ominous way that made Starlight have chills up her spine there. Possibly Silver Tongue and Limbo. They likely haven't heard someone speak so...deep yet true. Magnolia still bore the embarrassment from her mistake in the duel, yet it was not included in her tone. 

In Magnolia's mind, she had realized her mistake. Magnolia was being too...reckless. She was walking in unfamiliar waters and thought she was lucky enough that nothing from below had bitten her. Even after risking her life saving Starlight and Limbo, she was still reckless. She didn't want to admit it, but Silver Tongue was right. But in her mind Starlight also had to learn her lesson next. Magnolia could sense Starlight's words were going to bite back at her. Perhaps Magnolia didn't have to interfere with that. If Silver Tongue can teach Magnolia a lesson...perhaps he can also teach Starlight one too. 

Edited by Califorum
  • Brohoof 2

On 2021-03-17 at 6:28 PM, Loud Opinion said:

@abrony-mouse

Octavia was conflicted by the implication Fushia paved the way for. 
"You think that has something to do with this. The Glovers are the most generous ponies in Ponyville." Weren't they? Octavia gave no credence to such doubts, but a nagging feeling told her there was another pony befitting that description. It was as if some spell had mismatched everyponies' names and accomplishments within Octavia's mind. Octavia is disciplined, though. She believed she would not let such trickery win when the magic responsible was so easy to detect.

"So, how is this going to work? Are you going to wait in the other room for me to sleep and come in after an hour or so?"

@Loud Opinion Fuchsia noticed Octavia's confused expression as she defended the Glovers and wondered about it. The Glovers were definitely a lead.

She sighs and straightens up as Octavia comes to the point. "More or less, but first I would like to make sure that there is no hostile magic in this place or... on yourself." she adds dramatically. Fuchsia reaches round and loosens the straps on her leather saddlepack, and rummages around in its voluminous pockets. Eventually she withdraws a grim set of hollowed out buffalo bones - connected with string. It was a device that indicated when hostile magic was near. It was a gift from a buffalo clan she had stayed with in the desert. She had helped find a lost herd member and been honoured with a dream-catcher - she had assumed that the cryptic assurance from the buffalo shaman that it could sense when evil spirits were near was just mumbo jumbo, but it reliably chimed when hostile magical creatures or items or traps threatened her. Setting it up in her camps, it had saved her more than once.  She explains as much to Octavia.

She places the bone handle of the chimes in her mouth and approaches Octavia experimentally, listening for any chime that might indicate that the mare was affected by hostile magic.

• Brohoof 1

Silver couldn't help but smile at Magnolia's admission. It had to be the warmest smile he had put on all day. He had expected the worst: Anywhere from petulant demands for a rematch to silent malice. Instead, he got the best. It was not just an agreement, but the tell-tale-sign of a lesson learned: application. Silver could see it in Magnolia's eyes. Eureka had struck, and Magnolia had found a target for her latest weapon. Silver had no expectations that anything would come from that, though. Starlight was the embodiment of patience, much like most mares that dance to the beat of The Thunderskin. Magnolia trying to outdo her there would be like a mallet vs. a sledgehammer. Silver was content knowing that Magnolia wouldn't act carelessly in a critical moment.

Alas, his mood was not meant to last. Starlight gave a sour rebuttal. Silver had shouted; that much was true. There was a distance between the two, and he had his back to her for part of his lecture. Perhaps he had not accounted for the echo of the temple. Regardless, Silver felt ever so slightly cheated into discredit.

"What was that, dear?" Silver mocked Starlight, "You'll have to speak up. My hearing's not what it used to be."

Limbo, meanwhile, was a little frustrated. "We're all on the same side, Silver. Don't let your victory get to your head."

Silver merely rolled his eyes and shuffled back to his scrolls resting on one of the pews. Limbo could sense a bit of confusion a the word 'victory' and clarified, "That wasn't a draw. Magnolia ringed out. The only way to draw is to injure the opponent too badly. Our order values efficiency. Anyone that has to cripple their opponent to win is no true winner."

"That reminds me! We haven't even welcomed you yet," Limbo realized. She then stood at attention, noticeably the tallest pony in the room now that she stopped slouching. "You have both seen the place where alicorn magic is born! I welcome you to The Order of New Equestria! Or 'Tone' for short."

"If that's not a good note to end off of, I don't know what is," Limbo said, returning to her whispers and slouching.

"If we're all ready, I'll take you all to your temporary dwellings," Silver interjected with a bow, his face adorned with the same placed smile he wore when he first introduced himself.

@abrony-mouse

Octavia looked to the primitive-looking keepsake with a rare mixture of reassurance and skepticism. The thing's rustic nature did not inspire confidence. The fact that this mare is prepared enough to have tools dedicated for such a purpose was reassuring, though. It gave her hope for the efficacy of the investigation.

She was about to voice her feelings when the chimes moved slowly. This was no random blow of a draft. The notes were familiar. She couldn't put her metaphorical hoof to it, so she held a physical one up and narrowed in on the dream catcher. Her focus was something to behold. Behind her haggard face were the hints of a diligent Forge recreating the memories with meticulous precision.

The slow notes; like a pony meandering down a path, and the tone; low enough for that path to feel like sinking into a lake. It was unmistakable.

"Moonlight Sonata..." Octavia spoke. Her focus relaxed even if her expression didn't. "The first motion. It took me a second to recognize it without the piano."

"But, that's impossible. There are not enough tubes, yet it's perfect."

That wasn't all. The chime was getting noticeably warmer, and Fuchsia felt particles cling to her neck. Even without looking, Fuchsia knew they were red. Even against her fur, the color of the particles was red enough to strain Octavia's eyes. As the tune continued, it started to sound more like a piano --despite the nature of the hollow bones.

When next Octavia blinked, she saw a single moth trapped in the webbing of the dream catcher.

Throughout all the strangeness, Fuchsia could tell hex magic was present. The tremors in the black string of the webbing being enough evidence.

• Brohoof 1

@Loud Opinion @Califorum

Starlight responded to Silver, unaware of his condescending tone,

“I have no problem repeating myself. To summarize, pride is getting in the way of your potential friendship with Magnolia. You both have the ability to cooperate and get along, but you are letting the most dangerous thing get in the way of that—differences. You need to find what you two have in common in order to prevent another one of these reckless duels!” she practically spelled out with how much slower she talked. Part of her was just trying to respect an elderly pony and another part was annoyed she always had to repeat herself.

Starlight was just glad that Limbo was sensible. She understood that there was no need to fight as everypony here was supposed to be on the same side. Her face fell as she learned that Magnolia’s misstep was not a justified tie. She took a moment to look at Magnolia sympathetically before she turned back to Limbo.

“Nopony should feel the need to destroy their opponent to win,” she told Limbo. “Although I am torn as to whether a tie was better than a win, I do believe that there was a hint of sabotage when Magnolia had stepped outside of the ring. Of course, I do not wish to look into this further for both their sakes and everypony else’s,”

Her eyes widened when Limbo welcomed her to “The Order of New Equestria”. At last, progress was finally being made. Currently, the location was only a resting place, but it was well deserved given today’s events. With a relieved sigh, Starlight said,

“I am more than ready to go to our shelters. It has been quite a long day for us all. Each one of us deserves a bit of rest,”

• Brohoof 1

@Loud Opinion @ExplosionMare

Magnolia proceeded to eye up Silver as he finished speaking. 
"I have a feeling something unusual happened." she began. ''I was dueling you. Then, all of a sudden I crossed the salt. Now that leads me to 2 ideas as to what happened. Either I am just plain blind and lost track of the boundaries, or you did something I didn't see in order to get me to step over the line." she said rather flatly. Not that she really cared now, the duel was over and done with but her statement still remained. She didn't want to hurt Silver Tongue too bad in that duel but it was over and done with, indeed.

Onto the dwellings. "I hope my 'dwelling' is not just a hole in the ground." Magnolia said somewhat sarcastically there. but a part of her did indeed expect her place of 'comfort' to end up being a hole in the ground. Perhaps some sort of punishment from Silver Tongue. She hoped that Starlight would not be getting some sort of master bedroom when Magnolia had a closet, or worse, just a hole. When Limbo had revealed her height, Magnolia manipulated the shadows slightly in order to make herself appear just as tall. Perhaps it was to humor that, or make light of the situation. But it only lasted until Limbo would slouch back down.

To Starlight she shot a glare. "Yeah, rest from you." she'd roll her eyes. Starlight was nothing more than an annoying deluded cultist in Magnolia's eyes. She hated hearing those words. It made her feel sick to her stomach and utterly disgusted. Then she seemed to be horrified at the idea of something. "We better not share a bed." she said suddenly, her eyes widening somewhat. She had hoped that wasn't true. If it was, Magnolia would be sleeping as far away from Starlight as possible. 

• Brohoof 1

On 2021-03-25 at 10:59 AM, Loud Opinion said:

Octavia looked to the primitive-looking keepsake with a rare mixture of reassurance and skepticism. The thing's rustic nature did not inspire confidence. The fact that this mare is prepared enough to have tools dedicated for such a purpose was reassuring, though. It gave her hope for the efficacy of the investigation.

She was about to voice her feelings when the chimes moved slowly. This was no random blow of a draft. The notes were familiar. She couldn't put her metaphorical hoof to it, so she held a physical one up and narrowed in on the dream catcher. Her focus was something to behold. Behind her haggard face were the hints of a diligent Forge recreating the memories with meticulous precision.

The slow notes; like a pony meandering down a path, and the tone; low enough for that path to feel like sinking into a lake. It was unmistakable.

"Moonlight Sonata..." Octavia spoke. Her focus relaxed even if her expression didn't. "The first motion. It took me a second to recognize it without the piano."

"But, that's impossible. There are not enough tubes, yet it's perfect."

That wasn't all. The chime was getting noticeably warmer, and Fuchsia felt particles cling to her neck. Even without looking, Fuchsia knew they were red. Even against her fur, the color of the particles was red enough to strain Octavia's eyes. As the tune continued, it started to sound more like a piano --despite the nature of the hollow bones.

When next Octavia blinked, she saw a single moth trapped in the webbing of the dream catcher.

Throughout all the strangeness, Fuchsia could tell hex magic was present. The tremors in the black string of the webbing being enough evidence.

As the notes played, the fur on the back of Fuchsia's neck stood up and it took all her self-control not to flinch as the webbing of the catcher vibrated with the unnatural presence. 

Fuchsia gingerly withdraws the warm dream catcher, shaking out the moth, trying not to let her disquiet show on her face and to stay reassuring for the poor creature in front of her. She had come across hostile magic as potent as this before but the subtle nuances of the hex were chilling. She didn't know it was a 'hex' exactly, but the creature whom she had last encountered similar magic on before had not fared well, even despite the attempts of many skilled unicorn physicians and wizards. To say she was troubled would be an understatement. She didn't know what the tune might mean or why it would be significant to Octavia. 

"You'll be ok." she begins, "but we need help." she admits. "Or we need to find who is doing this to you and make them stop. I suggest you get sleep for now. I will check your place out and keep guard with this." she jingles the spirit catcher. "I promise I won't let anything happen to you." and she gives Octavia an involuntary hug, eyes glistening, a little overcome. "You'll be ok." she repeats. 

Despite the sentiment, Fuchsia's eyes glisten over Octavia's shoulder as they hug. Her eyes meet a reflection of the window which only she can see: the fearsome sight of a mighty beast seemingly reflected in the candlelit windows. It grins back at her, its fangs gape and eyes sparkle with adventure. Her manticore.

If Octavia is ok with that, Fuchsia will store the moth in her saddlebag and then immediately check out the mark on the door. 

• Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...
(edited)

Silver Tongue procured a basket of red petals, "This way."

He took the lead and sprinkled the petals in front of him as he walked. The petals multiplied until his path was completely covered. Stepping on the red carpet of petals felt more like swimming through a cloud. "Make sure not to eat any of the petals. They're edible, but that's exactly what makes them dangerous."

As they went through Ponieville's night streets, Mr. Tongue spoke up, "Your rooms will each have a bookshelf. The ones with exposed spines are decoys. The ones with pages showing are full of Tone secrets. Most were banned by Luna and haven't been legalized. Be very careful not to draw attention to them. Most ponies wouldn't recognize the texts, but if they do, faining ignorance won't work. They are too old and too rare to be acquired by accident. Your best defense is to claim they were inherited."

When they came to a block of seven identical, two-story houses, Silver extended the petal path to the second and fourth houses. Their red doors perfectly matched the petal path in front of them. The block had a slight inward curve so that they fit the circular shape of Ponyville.

"Have a good night, ladies."

@abrony-mouse

"Right," Octavia stated, half assured by Fushsia and half mystified by the parade of impossible as she took the trinket, "Thank you. The sooner this day ends, the better."

With the moth in her bag, Fushsia went to open the door. Before she made it, she heard talking coming from outside. Out the window, she saw a pile of red petals in front of the door to the neighboring house on her right.

Edited by Loud Opinion
  • Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion @Califorum @abrony-mouse

Starlight quietly followed Silver Tongue’s path of petals, looking at each one fondly. She found it a bit strange that Silver warned everypony not to eat them. These petals were far too pretty for eating. When she looked up, they arrived at the doors to their rooms. Silver Tongue explained that a variety of forbidden texts were hidden here and must be utilized very carefully. Thankfully, Starlight had plenty of experience with forbidden texts.

“You don’t have to worry, Silver Tongue. I will be very cautious with these books,” she said.

As the arrived at the red doors of the building, Starlight looked to see if anypony needed help with their luggage. Although she had quite a bit of her own, she would not hesitate to carry a couple more bags. Once everypony was ready, she would step inside. Starlight always liked to be the last one to go inside. She wasn’t sure if it was paranoia or just her way of checking up on ponies.

@Loud Opinion @ExplosionMare@abrony-mouse

Magnolia silently followed after the trail of pedals. She would not want to eat a pedal from a flower anyways, the thought was quite strange. It made her imagine that someone he knew once could have aten a pedal from a flower and gotten sick. Magnolia would not risk such a thing. Without word she would acknowledge what Silver Tongue spoke of the books. It felt like Silver Tongue was testing and prodding at her and Starlight here. Magnolia assumed he had done this on purpose to see what they would do within their rooms.

Magnolia would stop at the door and look to Starlight and Silver Tongue. Her cold eyes would look to Starlight first, and like a slow moving clock they moved to look Silver Tongue in the eye. "That of which you have not spoke of, I already know." she said, believing well enough this was some sort of set up to see how they would act. 

With that said, she opened the door and headed in. Finally she could be alone in her thoughts like she always used to. She would sit on the bed and lament the thoughts of the day. It was definitely something that she never experienced before. Meeting a strange cultist mare, fighting mysterious beasts in a dark wood, and saving the lives of two others. She lay on the bed. She could never sleep from the never-ending nightmares she had. 

Remembering the books, she'd grab onto the books with her magic. The real ones, at least according to Silver Tongue's description. She layed on her back, crossing her legs as she brought the first book from the left above her head. Then with satisfying book opening sound, she opened the book and began to read.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 2021-04-14 at 2:27 AM, Loud Opinion said:

"Right," Octavia stated, half assured by Fushsia and half mystified by the parade of impossible as she took the trinket, "Thank you. The sooner this day ends, the better."

With the moth in her bag, Fushsia went to open the door. Before she made it, she heard talking coming from outside. Out the window, she saw a pile of red petals in front of the door to the neighboring house on her right.

Fuchsia gives Octavia a resassuring pat. "I won't leave this place. Cupcake in my eye." she somehow remembers the weird Ponyville mantra she'd read in her guidebook on the way here :) She wasn't sure if Octavia would pick up on the reference but she enjoyed her localisms.

Fuchsia rubbed at her neck where the red particles had landed before and her inquisitive lilac eyes grow large at the petals on the neighbouring house. She sat on her tired haunches and gazed at them awhile... before shaking herself out of it with an animalistic growl, angry at herself. This was no coincidence. She turns deliberately away from them and inspects the mark on the door to Octavia's house. Her ears flick behind her head as she inspects the mark, dividing her attention as her large pony eyes take in the mark on the door - her ears try to distinguish between the calm rural sounds of night in the calm village and any eldritch nonsense :P

Her eyes do keep flicking back to the red petals on the house next door though...

(edited)

@ExplosionMare @Monotonality

Silver Tongue gave a single bow before trotting down the soft petal path. Said petals liquefied as he left and soaked into the ground without a trace. Who knows what effect it would have on the groundwater.

Each lodging consisted of a small foyer and a single door to the bedroom. The foyer was very lived-in. Glover brand winter clothing on the rack, a few scratches next to the door handle, fading wallpaper, and an eye-offending bald spot on the carpet from repeated scuffing all sung the song of the working pony. The ceiling looked a little tall for such a small room, though.

Beyond the door was like another world. A gold-trimmed, cage chandelier was already alight to show off the extravagance of the room: A queen-sized bed with a thin, silk canopy, a custom rug that leads and encircles said bed in thick, white, comfortable footing, a record player atop a dedicated drawer filled with records, the wall behind the bed is full to bursting with books --only four or five of which displaying their spines--, and the walls were plastered the same white you only see in expensive castles. The windows and door looked very out of place among the rest of the excellence. Not the bathroom door, though. That was as regal as the rest of the bedroom, and who knows how expensive that room looks.

@Monotonality

Magnolia's book was titled 'The Locksmith's Dream: a Light through the Keyhole.' Written by Teresa Glimmer. The text was full of parables. One was of a mare that slept with the lights on and wore all-white pajamas in an all-white room, on an all-white bed, and dreamed of a forest. The mare died in that forest after an encounter with a very aggressive mole. She awoke with a start and a map to a forbidden ruin written on her hoof.

Others were of various lairs burned in by daylight for their falsehoods and virtuous ponies walking into the light and 'ascending' --whatever that means. Peculiarly, on occasion, Teresa Glimmer mistakenly capitalizes the word 'Light.'

Some advice was scribbled on one of the pages. No doubt an anecdote form a previous owner. "The Watchman listens for those that call his name. Their is power in the Light below the skin, but Light can only shine with eyes to see it."

@abrony-mouse

As Fuchsia examines the mark for any significance, it becomes increasingly clear she is out of her depth. She recognizes the circle as the spell matrix for levitation --a spell so prevalent that one would find difficulty finding anypony that didn't know it. The Ponyville pamphlet mentioned that the local librarian was Celestia's sole student and had saved the town with magical feats on two separate occasions... Well, it's a lot more like bragging than mentioning.

The next time she glanced out the window, the petals were gone. Maybe they got swept up by the wind... a wind that is strikingly absent in Fuchsia's ears. With attention on hearing, the room is unnaturally silent. No white noise. Nothing except for Fuchsia's breathing and hoofsteps on the foyer mat.

Edited by Loud Opinion
  • Brohoof 3

@abrony-mouse @Loud Opinion @ExplosionMare

Magnolia read with fascination of the stories contained within the book. The one of the mare in the forest was of particular interest, she wondered what had preceded the events of each story and her mind was captivated by that. Magnolia couldn't help but smile upon rediscovering a portion of herself here, she was a bookworm in her youth. While not one for academics but one of magic and research. After all, how else did Magnolia learn her power? It came from reading. Lots of reading. Considering that she never had anyone to guide her she had grown proficient in deducing answers with her lone reasoning. 

She imagined the mare who ended up with the map had dreamed of her death before it had occurred. On her search for where the map lead, it lead her to a rather unfortunate end just like in her dreams. The other books she had read talked of a rather interesting topic. Ascension. That is what she was after, that is why she was even here so that was of particular interest to her. The 'Light' was the key. Was it the Light of knowledge bestowed upon someone? Is it the Light of learning lessons from one's teacher? Her mind went on. She sat there in thought and came to some conclusions - she had to be more careful with dealing with the unknown. Silver Tongue was right. While the heat of the duel had passed, in a calmer mind she was more reasonable and came to the deduction that her previous course of action was incorrect. While her pride wouldn't admit it any further verbally, she had learned her lesson.

As for Starlight, there was another connection with her. When they first met, Starlight told her of her last name. Glimmer. Could the author of this book somehow be related to Starlight? Distant relative, perhaps? So many possibilities. To her, it felt like the universe and fate were trying to tell her something. She closed the books after reading and put them back in the exact spots they were before. Lesson learned. Do not tempt ill fates to come to one's self.

All this time reading would eat up a good bite of time. Perhaps an hour, perhaps more. She didn't take the time to give the room a good look over. She had the light on as she had read but didn't look around the room yet. Magnolia got off the bed quietly and proceeded to inspect each and every little corner of the room as she could. Could there be a hidden secret or perhaps, a clue for Magnolia's answers? She hoped there would be something of interest. But she was tired. It was a long, eventful day. One that made her reconsider her life so far. She'd stand there and reflect on herself a bit. 

She reminded herself why she was doing all of this. To prove herself. To make her feel like she is worth something. Maybe to even be...noticed by her sister and respected. She shook that thought away. She didn't want to think of her sister. Those thoughts only brought pain. She stood up as if defying her thoughts and looked outside for a few minutes. As she watched the leaves blow, and listened to the wind outside she felt relaxed.

If nothing of interest was found, she would have rolled herself over into the bed and flick the light off. She would have a hard time falling asleep, the events of the day replaying over in her mind several times over as if judging and mocking her. Eventually though, she fell into the realm of dreams.

Edited by Monotonality
  • Brohoof 1

@Loud Opinion @Monotonality

As Starlight entered the lodging foyer, she noticed the scratches etched into the walls, the faded wallpaper, and the rather large hole in the carpet. Even in the more run-down cottages in her village, she had never seen conditions quite like this. If her villagers were here, she would have them fix this mess immediately. However, they were not here, and the matter was not that important anyways. Telling herself to ignore the disorder for now, she stepped into the rooms at the end of the foyer.

The rooms were thousands of times better than the foyer. They were so exquisitely designed that they looked as if they belonged in a castle. Fitting, considering Starlight was about to become royalty in a way. Eagerly, she approached one of the queen-sized beds and lay on it gracefully. She sighed, thinking about how she had never been in a bed so comfortable before. The bed in her village was sufficient, but it was hard and most likely in need of a replacement mattress.

She scanned the titles on the wall and noticed the few that displayed only their spines. Her curiosity kept her from falling asleep. There may be a vast variety of spells in these texts she has never heard of. Spells that could not only protect Cutie Markless ponies, but prevent the earning of Cutie Marks altogether. The prevention of Cutie Marks was a far-reaching goal, but considering all that Starlight has a learned here so far, it was not improbable.

(edited)

@ExplosionMare

The good books all looked to be of delicate condition, as to be expected. Of course, the same could be said of most good books. The older ones tend to be better after all. A discerning eye would recognize the pattern with these books: they all have a stamp on the spine that reads 'SSS' followed by a single digit. Perhaps, once upon a time, these all belonged to the same library in an official capacity.

The books are described as follows:

• In greenish-yellow:

'The Victory of Crowns': Aura's account of a supposed Alicorn hunt.

• In pale blue:

'On The White' by Solemn Husher, a self-defeating painter.

• In pink:

'Apollo and Marsyas' without an author. A grim version of an already gruesome tale.

• In red:

'The Skeleton Songs' by Arabell Dust. A compilation of stanzas and poems written by the author --who laments the images she was not allowed to include.

All are clearly mad ponies... or geniuses. A summary can only tell you so much. In any case, any lessons that Silver intended Starlight to learn would only be given in the form of parables. Perhaps that is the key to this new type of magic. Not crystalline knowledge but in interchangeable wisdoms, or 'personal truth' in simpler terms.

Edited by Loud Opinion
  • Brohoof 2

@Loud Opinion

Upon closer inspection, Starlight noticed a pattern on the spines. Each book was labeled “SSS” followed by a number. She wasn’t sure what that meant other than the books had all belonged in the same place at one point. That was hardly a concern, however; what mattered was what the titles were. Glancing over them, Starlight read,

‘The Victory of Crowns’

’On The White’

‘Apollo and Marsyas’

and

‘The Skeleton Songs’.

She started with the first book, which was decorated in a greenish-yellow. The story was an account of an Alicorn hunt. Although the concept perplexed Starlight at first, she couldn’t help but feel intrigued the further she read. Aura, the Alicorn hunter, had a fascination for Alicorns as well as a strong desire to reduce their powers. Aura reminded Starlight of how she viewed her villagers.

The next book, decorated in a pale blue, was about a painter who led themselves to their own demise. Unlike the first book, there was no exciting twist. The end left Starlight feeling incomplete, not knowing how the artist could have messed up so horribly. What she didn’t realize was that their mistakes were laid out from the beginning, she just didn’t notice the smaller details.

The third book, decorated in pink, was far less cheery than its color suggested. It was gruesome and quite disturbing. Starlight had to fight through the novel to finish it. She couldn’t imagine what kind of sick pony would want to write such things. Perhaps they were so bitter that they felt they had no other choice. Starlight pondered on that, wondering how bad that particular pony’s life must have been. She let out a sad sigh, wishing she had known them and had been able to help them.

The last book, decorated in red, was a series of dark poems. Starlight had to read quite a few of them to understand their pattern. To her, it sounded like a pony who wanted more; a pony who wanted to be heard. They only needed a proper audience. As a pony skilled in drawing in crowds, Starlight could relate to this pony.

When finished, she placed the books back in their proper locations. She had never read texts like these before, so each concept was foreign to her. At the same time, however, she could not help but feel a familiarity to them, as if the authors were sharing in her thoughts.

What do these texts mean for me? Have ponies always thought the way I have thought, or is their something bigger I’m about to discover? Have I been missing something all this time? she thought.

• Brohoof 3

On 2021-04-27 at 5:13 PM, Loud Opinion said:

As Fuchsia examines the mark for any significance, it becomes increasingly clear she is out of her depth. She recognizes the circle as the spell matrix for levitation --a spell so prevalent that one would find difficulty finding anypony that didn't know it. The Ponyville pamphlet mentioned that the local librarian was Celestia's sole student and had saved the town with magical feats on two separate occasions... Well, it's a lot more like bragging than mentioning.

The next time she glanced out the window, the petals were gone. Maybe they got swept up by the wind... a wind that is strikingly absent in Fuchsia's ears. With attention on hearing, the room is unnaturally silent. No white noise. Nothing except for Fuchsia's breathing and hoofsteps on the foyer mat.

Fuchsia puzzles over the mark, ultimately giving up after making a sketch of it in a little notebook - perhaps she could show that to a pony more in the know. The little town was favoured with Celestia's student, as everypony knew. Whether her concerns would be significant enough for such a pony was another thing... she had heard that this protege of the Princess was a good egg, but any pony so high up could be a haughty unicorn.

She is about to examine the door with the disappearing petals, before her ears prick at the silence. She gallops inside, suspicious of the sudden silence, wanting to check on Octavia.

• Brohoof 3