Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

visual art A solar system I am making

Props Valroa

This is going to be a different sort of topic.  For the past few weeks I have been working on a solar system, of my creation. It is a different solar system. It's main star of Galarnast is roughly 10% brighter than ours. I will show other additions to the solar system as they come and go. @LyraLover 💚 and I talked a lot about this. Galarnast is part of a wide trinary system with a pair of brown dwarfs that orbit every 6.5 million years around Galarnast.

Valcera is a small, Ceres mass planet orbiting around Galarnast every 7.383 days.

scr00000.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Revarga is the first planet from Galarnast (The sun, which is 10% brighter) than ours. It's about 1.5x the mass of our Earth and has a crushing atmosphere of 749x that of our pressure. It's a hell world obscured by clouds and volcanic ash. It's tidally locked and goes around every 36 days. It's much like our Venus but, compared to some of the other planets it looks tame. Average temperature is around 1250 F.

scr00000.png

Veneration is the second planet. It's 4.5x the mass of our Earth, goes around every 89 days. It's atmosphere is 2030x the pressure of ours. It is at a nice, comfortable temperature of 1100 F. It's a planet that has high gravity. Due to the nature of these 2 planets it is currently impossible to land a probe on their surface.

scr00012.png

Vesos, a neptune like planet that orbits where Venus would be in this system. It's moon is a moon like Mars, but warmer and more habitable. To survive there all you would need is an oxygen tank.

scr00012.jpg?width=1193&height=632

scr00003.jpg?width=1193&height=632

The planet Daeldrum is the main Earth-like world of this solar system. It rotates every 27 hours, has 6% more gravity on it's surface and has a slightly greater air pressure at around 1% greater than ours. The nations of this world are different than ours.

scr00013.png

The moon Erina. Space-engine doesn't create this moon's volcanism. It goes around every 9.5 days. I imagine a week on Daeldrum is 9.5 days long as a result. You can easily see the volcanic plumes silently crashing back down onto it's surface from Erina. It is dangerous and no person has ever landed there. , It is roughly the same mass and size of our moon. It is so volcanic because it is place between Malmoa and Daeldrum due to tidal forces. Coinciding with intelligent life on Daeldrum, it's surface goes through a periodic ripping and tearing, much like the planet Venus. It's crust is thin, it has a large iron core. It is a world of boiling rock, much like our Io.

With the star known to be 1.1 times as far away, we have its tidal effect reduced by 1.3 approximately--but it masses more, 10 percent more, so overall the star's tidal effect is 0.8 that of Sol on Earth. And Sol's tide is about half the strength of Luna's on Earth, so 0.4 Luna units.

Now to sum up--the tides are indeed a bit complicated but Erina dominates by far! At at least 7.5 times Luna's influence by itself, I believe the pattern of tidal dipole "fields" is that we get the strongest magnitude when one is lined up with the object, between it and the planet we are standing on's core. When lined up, whether at zenith or at nadir below our feet on the far side of the body we stand on, the effect is to oppose that body's field, "stretching" it. But when the tidal body is at 90 degrees, on the horizon, its effect works with the body we stand on, "squeezing." This makes sense if one visualizes the layout. But the magnitude of the effect is halved IRRC--it might be 1/3 but I believe it is half.

Therefore, when Erina and Malmoa are lined up, one eclipsing the other on the same side of the sky or with them at opposite sides of the sky, either way, their maximum "stretching" effect adds up and we would get something like 8.5 or so the effect Luna alone has on Earth. But when they are 90 degrees apart, each cancels the other a bit--bringing the net effect to be equal to reducing Erina's mass to have 7 instead of 7.5 "Luna alone" effect.

But Luna is not alone in Earth's sky, there is always the Sun! Again when moon and Sun line up, that is Luna and Sol, we wind up with a "spring tide" 1.5 times as strong as the Moon alone would cause, whereas when Luna is at 90 degrees to the Sun, in half-moon waxing or waning phase, we have a "neap tide" that is only 3/4 as strong as the Moon alone would steadily exert. So normally on Earth, we cycle through tides that are stronger or weaker by a factor of two, and only briefly have the net field be as intense as the Moon alone would cause.

Back on Daeldrum, the extra strong 8.5 effect could be compounded by lining up with the star as well, to get a field effect just short of 9 times Luna alone average for Earth. Or Sun and Malmoa might be lined up to weaken Erina's pull by 0.7 down to just 6.8 Luna alone. At the very weakest therefore, the tides of Daeldrum are just under 7 times what we experience on average on Earth, and that is 4.4 times the very strongest Spring Tide we might get on Earth. They range between 7 and 9 or so, and average 8, "Luna-alone" effects. As a percentage variation, the range is tighter than Earth's factor of two, just around 4/3 in fact.

There is one more factor to consider--Daeldrum rotates more slowly than Earth. This has no effect on the magnitude of the effective reduction or increase of local gravitational field net strength...but the lower rate of change as the planet rotates through different parts of the field more slowly mitigates the surge experienced at any moment. Taking that into account, we have 8/9 times that range above--6 to 8 averaging 7, lowering it one tick.

Even 6 is enough to increase speeds of tidal flows by 2.5 I should note, and the surges affect not only liquid bodies; air too is surging back and forth under tidal effect, and the ground flexes and stretches a bit with it too.

As an absolute, the effects are far far stronger than anything we see on Earth. I have to assume animals and plants are just plain adapted to these strong tidal surges. They are just a fact of life on Daeldrum

scr00005.png

The moon Malmoa. It is basically like ours and goes around every 27 days or so. It is about the same mass as Erina and our moon. Unlike our moon, isn't so significant in Daeldrum's culture and mythos, as Erina dominates the skies.

scr00006.png

Merina. The small moon mass planet that orbits between Daeldrum and Agarthanon (similar to being between earth and mars). It has its own little 3 moons going around it. It's basically like our moon but like a planet in its own right.

scr00014.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Agarthanon was once a habitable world. Either its inhabitants are the ancestors of people of Daeldrum or Daeldrum was once a spacefairing civilization that collapsed thousands of years ago. Its water is fused with many industrial chemicals which have made its oceans remain as most of land has been wept by cold, harsh and unforgiving winds. It's sky, if you were standing on it would look like a pale tan with puffs of remnants of industrial smoke. Due to its greater distance from Galarnast, it had a larger presence of greenhouse gases in its atmosphere that kept it more or less warm. May possibly be the impact of industrialization on it's climate.

scr00009.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Enok, the mars mass moon of Agarthanon. It is teeming with microbial and small animal life. None of which are intelligent. Whether or not it's the aspect of bio-engineering or natural evolution is not yet known.

scr00010.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Oh no! Another Venus like planet! It's about 4.5x the mass of our Earth, has a crushing atmospheric pressure of 300x that of ours mostly made of water clouds. It's around 304f and has 2 Pluto mass moons. It's name is Trithios.

scr00011.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Baoman is a Jupiter mass planet, only 6% more massive than Jupiter. It has 8major moons but I will only show 2 for the sake of convenience.

scr00015.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Targara, the hothouse moon that is much like our Io. The closest major moon of Baoman. Baoman has 8 large moons, some of them more lunar mass, others more mars or mercury mass. I will only show Targara and one of the other ones for the sake of time, as the other are most like Ganymede and Europa.

scr00016.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Iopia. A frozen world with a thin atmosphere of Baoman. There are much more moons but I'm not going through the trouble of adding 100 more asteroidal moons. Just assume these gas giants have around 90-100 asteroidal moons beyond the major ones like ours.

scr00017.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Boettch, the saturn like world. It has massive rings and 8 major moons. Unlike our Saturn though, it has more of a pink-purplish color. It's rings are much larger than Saturn's.

scr00018.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Mente, the first major moon. It is meant to be similar to Targara, as both of these large gas giants have 8 moons, and their closest being a yellow one with an atmosphere.

scr00019.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Thalnassa. A captured moon of Boettch, or planet rather, about 4 times the mass of our earth. It orbits in a highly inclined and eccentric orbit far away from the other moons. It is tilted on its side like Uranus is. It has oceans of ethane, propane, and liquid methane much like our titan.

scr00020.jpg?width=1193&height=632

The planet Lokayla is different. It's about 0.3x the mass of our Earth, a frozen ice world with rings, it goes around every 70 years or so. It has 2 major moons but they aren't that impressive, I will say it has anywhere from 30-40 minor asteroidal moons beyond that.

scr00021.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Ersharia is a bit further then where Neptune is. It has 9 major moons. Its ring system is quite impressive I would say.

scr00022.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Dorel is a moon of Ersharia, half the mass of mars. It has a thin atmosphere. The others aren't too note-worthy.

scr00025.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Domachow is a weird one. It is in a binary pair with an 1.4 Earth mass planet named Ske around a common barycenter.

scr00023.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Ske is a frozen ice world. It mostly lacks an atmosphere, and coupled with it's gravity, it would be hard to land on.

scr00024.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Amania is a deep blue Ice Giant. More like Neptune if anything. It's moons are similar to the moons of Uranus.

scr00026.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Malnassa, the mercury sized moon which is the last moon of Amania.

scr00027.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Manning. The last of the Ice Giants. Manning has many small moons but one large one as it's first moon.

scr00010.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Vastias, about the size of our moon. It has a thin atmosphere and goes around Manning every 20 hours.

scr00011.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Accord. It's moons are roughly Pluto-Lunar mass. 9 major moons. From here on out, these planets are in extreme far away orbits that are highly inclined.

scr00028.jpg?width=1193&height=632

Tharkmo is the last large planet of the system. It has a fairly large ring. It's moons aren't impressive and aren't shown here.

scr00029.jpg?width=1193&height=632
Edited by Scar
  • Brohoof 5

Not to pick nits, but you are working on a wonderful "Stellar System" Or system is known as the Solar System, because out sun is actually called Sol. 

Sorry, but as a life long reader of science Fiction, this has become a pet peeve of mine.

2 minutes ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Not to pick nits, but you are working on a wonderful "Stellar System" Or system is known as the Solar System, because out sun is actually called Sol. 

Sorry, but as a life long reader of science Fiction, this has become a pet peeve of mine.

As much as that'd be true, I never ever heard that term. Astronomers use it in a general sense, scientists, it's not just a science fiction term, it's a real term.

9 minutes ago, Scar said:

As much as that'd be true, I never ever heard that term. Astronomers use it in a general sense, scientists, it's not just a science fiction term, it's a real term.

Our sun actually is named Sol. Thar's where Solar comes from. I was mistaken on Stellar System. That is a group of stars. Planetary System would work, or something derived from the name of your star.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney

12 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

Our sun actually is named Sol. Thar's where Solar comes from. I was mistaken on Stellar System. That is a group of stars. Planetary System would work, or something derived from the name of your star.

Of  course, naturally. 

16 hours ago, cuteycindyhoney said:

The more you know, the more I will know! Thanks! :yay:

@Scar Looking good!

• 2 months later...

Here is a full list of my solar system. More or less. Some objects may or may not be included and will contradict the original post.

Spoiler

Here is a list of some of the bodies in my own solar system. This is just the inner solar system.

Gale:

The main star in this system, it is a sun-like star with 1.1x the mass of our own sun and is slightly brighter. It is a G3.6V class star.

Cari:

A hot jupiter planet with the mass of 445x that of Jupiter and with an extremely low density, making the planet much larger than it really should be. It has a large gas trail behind it as it whips around the main star every 22 hours or so. 0.019 AU away from the main star. It regularly eclipses the face of the main star as viewed from other planets and can be seen through a telescope (with a solar filter of course) near to the Sun at all times.

Valcera:

A 1.5x Earth mass planet that is a trojan planet of Cari, orbiting at the L4 Lagrange point. It might actually technically be a moon, since its orbit is so dominated by Cari, however it doesn't orbit around Cari. Valcera and Cari are doomed to crash into the sun within a few million years. It has supersonic winds of molten rock vapor and deep lava oceans.
Both these planets get roughly 10,000x the sunlight than our Earth gets, making Cari's atmosphere lose air constantly and have a massive gas halo around it due to the atmospheric run-off effect.

Revargation:

At 4.16 Earth masses and 0.31 AU away from the star, Revargation is a hot house world similar to our Venus but to a much worse extent. It's surface pressure is roughly 2,000 to 3,000x greater than on Earth and it is what you might call a 'Gas Dwarf planet'. It has a solid surface that has never been seen before due to its extremely thick and hot atmosphere. It is broiling and churning with Carbon Dioxide and other elements. Its clouds are extremely reflective, much like Venus.

Vesos:

A roughly Neptune mass planet orbiting at 0.69 AU, it is a warmer version of Neptune in our solar system and has a prominent ring system. It is commonly seen in the evening and morning skies of Daeldrum, being brighter than Venus would be from Earth.

Moons: 15, 1 Major moon

- Maratha is a Mars mass moon going around Vesos every 10 days, it can be seen separately from Vesos in the sky of Daeldrum. It is a warmer and wetter version of Mars, having enough air pressure to maintain some standing water on its surface. It is home to microbial and some minor plant life on it, with small multicellular creatures on its surface.

Daeldrum:

An Earth mass world with roughly 10% more mass, 6% more gravity and similar air pressure, Daeldrum has a small ring over its equator and is at 1.1 AU away from the sun. It is home to human and other such intelligent life. It is tilted at roughly 25 degrees. Its 2 moons create massive tides on the planet's surface.

Moons: 2 major Moons

- Erina is a Lunar mass moon that orbits every 9.85 days around Daeldrum. Its surface goes through a similar process like that of Venus, a regular resurfacing event every few million years. In the current time, it is going through one and its surface is broiling with lava and eruptions much like jupiter's moon of Io. It is roughly 4 times larger in the sky than our moon.

- Malmoa is a Lunar mas moon that orbits every 26 days

Merina:

A small planet that has roughly 3 times the mass of our Moon, and orbits at 1.6 AU, it is an airless selenic world that is pockmarked with lots of craters much like that of our moon. Roughly of a white / grey color. Its 2 inner moons orbit extremely close to the equator much like Mars's moons with the 2 outer ones taking several days to orbit around the planet.

Moons: 4 Minor moons

Agarthanon and Enok:

At 90% the mass of our Earth it was once like our Earth before a series of wars and geological disasters rendered most life here extinct millions of years ago. At 1.9 AU, it is now a wind wept and cold barren planet with its oceans remaining due to various corrosive chemicals that have made them unable to freeze under the current temperatures. It's landmasses are swept by large glaciers and sheets of ice. Remains of cities and civilizations remain here under the ice and snow and evidence of large scale wars on this planets surface still remain. Some life survives deep underground. Its atmosphere has a large amount of Ammonia, Sulfer. Its manmade carbon dioxide has been mostly washed out from the atmosphere over the eons.

Agarthanon forms a double planet system with Enok, a mars mass world that is roughly similar to our own Mars. The 2 worlds always show the same face to each other. Enok has a thin Mars like atmosphere, and on its surface are the ruins of colonies and cities from a failed terraforming project millions of years ago. The remaining humans from this world fled to Daeldrum and deverted back to the stone age.

Trithios:

Trithios is another Gas Dwarf type planet at 4.11 Earth masses and 3 AU away from the sun. Due to its greenhouse gasses it is roughly just above boiling temperature here. Its atmosphere is a froth consisting of water vapor, carbon dioxide and various other compounds. Its atmosphere at certain depths has a relatively same viscosity as the oceans of Earth and is host to various 'floating' lifeforms that resemble algae, and whales, fish.

Moons: 19 minor moons, 5 major moons

The 5 major moons of Trithios are barely able to be considered major moons. All but 2 of them are potato shaped lumps of rock, and the 2 that are round are barely even Ceres mass. They are pinpricks compared to Trithios.

Middle Solar system of my solar system.

Galarneau:

A small 2.5x Ceres mass world that is airless. It is heavily cratered and a light yellow and white color. It has 4 small asteroidal moons and orbits between Trithios and Baoman. It exists in the inner asteroid belt between Trithios and Baoman.

Baoman:

Baoman is a Jupiter mass planet that is the jupiter analogue of this solar system. It is 320 times the mass of our Earth and has a large purple, Saturn like ring unlike our jupiter. Also unlike jupiter it has a bit more methane making it appear more blue, with white bands across its diameter.

Moons 121, (8 Major).

Just beyond Baoman's ring is a disk of asteroids that was once a moon that broke up and got too close, the rest of them created the ring, and there are roughly 9 asteroids ranging in size from 12 miles to 100 miles wide just beyond and in the ring system of Baoman.

Targara - Roughly mars mass and orbiting every 19 hours, Targara is an extreme version of Io. Its surface is heavily warped due to tidal interactions and it has a thin atmosphere due to its frequent outgassing and eruptions. It's surface is pock marked with volcanoes.

Bastion - A selenic world orbiting every 31 hours which is slightly more massive than our moon, it is host to some volcanism and is less extreme than Targara. Has a white reflective surface. Airless.

Vulfal - A little more massive than Bastion, this moon orbits every 2.151 days. It isn't really an ice world due to the tidal heating still and has some geologic activity on its surface but is airless.

Lacker - Orbiting every 3.507 days, Lacker is roughly the same diameter as Vulful but twice the mass. It is a denser moon and has 17% the gravity of Earth, however it is also airless.

Dack - About the same mass as Lacker but slightly larger, this moon is less dense than Lacker. It orbits every 5.7 days and is airless.

Iopia - A moon twice the mass of Mars, it has a magnetic field that shields it from Baoman's magnetic field. It has an atmosphere that is 1% the pressure of ours and roughly has 43% the gravity as on Earth. It is a fairly blue color.

Topiatania - Slightly less massive than Iopia, it also has a magnetic field and orbits every 15 days. It is very similar to Iopia. Both these moons would be great for colonization.

Fulgars - A brown ice world, it is host to subglacial life much like Europa. It is roughly 4 times the mass of our moon and orbits Baoman every 25 days.

Bentefairs - Around the same mass as Fulgars, this moon orbits roughly every 68 days and is in a slightly inclined orbit. It is fairly yellow in coloration.

Boettch:

A purple and white planet that has roughly the mass of Saturn, if a little greater. It has a wide purple ring system that is as large as the entire diameter of the planet and hosts an impressive collection of moons. It orbits at 10.6 AU.

Moons: 169, (8 major)

Mente - Another Io like world, this one has a powerful magnetic field and is 3 times the mass of our moon. It sits just beyond the edge of the ring and its outgassing and eruptions contribute to the mass of the rings. It is a very yellow moon with a very sulfuric atmosphere and clouds. It orbits once every 26 hours.

Dist - A Pluto mass world with cryovolcanism much like enceladus, it is fairly grey in color with a large black spot on its surface. It orbits every 2 days.

Rockfarga - Slightly larger than Pluto, this moon also hosts cryovolcanism and is roughly half and half of color much like Iapetus in our own solar system. It orbits every 3.9 days, both Rockfarga and Dist are host to multicellular subglacial life in their internal oceans.

Denelition - A fairly maroon and brown colored moon, it orbits every 7 days and is roughly 3 times the mass of Pluto.

Flack - A pluto mass moon that is extremely reflective on one side (white), and very dark on the other side and almost black. The black and white moon. It goes around once every 13 days.

Mistios - A dark brown colored moon, roughly 4 times the mass of Pluto, this moon is fairly cratered. Its white craters contrast with the dark brown surface. It orbits once every 26 days.

Popperia - A moon slightly less massive than Mars, it has a thin halo of an atmosphere surrounding its light brown and tan surface. It is host to Europa like marks on its surface and is host to subglacial life. It has a very thin ring system orbiting over the equator.

Thalnassa - One could argue this one isn't even a moon at all, but a planet in its own right. It is 4.5x the mass of our own Earth, and has a double ring system. It orbits in an inclined and eccentric orbit around Boettch every 9.5 years and is 0.30 AU away from Boettch. From Daeldrum, it can be seen seperately from Boettch.

It is a fairly purple world with seas of liquid hydrocarbons and various compounds much like that of titan. It has a thick atmosphere and is host to exotic biological crystalline life that dots the landscape. Small 'plants' made out of crystals grow here that resemble snowflakes and fractals. It is host to exotic fish and animal life as well, and has roughly 1.58x the gravity of our own Earth. It is a captured planet that orbits around Boettch.

Lokayla:

A ringed planet that is 3 times the mass of Mars that orbits beyond Boettch at 17.5 AU, it is a fairly yellow color and is host to a magnetosphere, and a brilliant ring system. It has a thin atmosphere made of Nitrogen, it's icey surface is quite reflective and yellow-white.

Moons 23, (2 Major)

Lokayla's major moons are roughly the mass of Pluto and aren't really all that impressive although the inner one is host to cryovolcanism to a slight degree.

The next 4 planets are ice giants and are all tilted on their sides in similar manner to Uranus.

Ersharia:

A very white Neptune mass world with a green ring system, it is situated at 34 AU away from the sun. It is a pale white-light purple color.

Moons (72, 9 major).

Ersharia's moons range from Miranda to Pluto mass, however, one moon stands out from the rest. Dorel is the 5th moon from Ersharia and is roughly Mercury mass and has a thin atmosphere and is very similar to Triton and how it looks.

Domachow and Ske:

Domachow is slightly less massive than Ersharia and its light green rings look like there are 3 seperate rings. It forms a binary pair with an large Ice world named Ske which is mostly brown in coloration and heavily cratered. Ske has an extremely thin atmosphere and orbits Domachow every 25.155 days. It is 1.58 times the mass of Earth. Beyond Ske are a pair of Pluto mass moons, and 10 other asteroids roughly in line with the Equatorial planes and Domachow and Ske. These worlds dance around each other at 71 AU from the sun.

Amania:

A very blue planet with a similar mass to Domachow, it has a similar ring system to Domachow but it is of a grey and purple color. It orbits at 139 AU from the sun.

Moons (79, 7 major)

All of the moons of Amania are Ceres - Pluto mass but the very last major moon which is roughly half the mass of Mars. It isn't tidal locked and orbits every 96 days around Amania, however it lacks an atmosphere.

There is an asteroid belt between Amania and Manning it is called the middle asteroid belt and is host to 2 Pluto mass planets named Lousia and Brown. It is made up of icey objects. Louisa and Brown have multiple moons.

Manning:

25 times the mass of Earth, and orbiting at 304 AU away from the sun, this is a very deep blue and purple planet. It is extremely dark and extremely cold here.

Moons (102, 8 major)

The major moons of manning are all extremely small and Ceres mass except for Vastias which is the first moon. Vastias has a thin atmosphere much like that of Pluto and is host to cryovolcanism and multicellular life under its surface.

Then there is an extremely expansive outer belt of icey and frigid objects between Manning and Accord, the next planet. It is host to a pleothera of small planets ranging in size from Ceres to Mercury mass. Notable ones are named Lederest, Hayit, Hann, and Fields. With Lisa being the largest of them all, being roughly Mercury mass. All of these objects have assorted moons.

Beyond the outer belt lays the planet Accord.

Accord:

Accord is a ringed ice planet, it is 8.58 times the mass of our moon and is 695 AU away from the sun. It takes upon a pink to brown color and has a magnetic field with very little traces of an atmosphere since it is so cold out here. Due to its extreme distance from the sun it has captured its own 'Oort cloud' of small icey objects that are also its moons. Some of these can dip really low to the planet's surface much like comets to that of the sun. These objects take many thousands of years to orbit around Accord. I call these objects Moon comets due to some of their irregular orbits.

Moons: (1042, 15 major moons)

It's major moons are all Vesta to Pluto mass.

Tharkmo:

The final planet of this solar system, Tharkmo is 60% the mass of our Earth and is ringed like Accord and takes on a dark brown color. Its major moons are even more insignificant than that of Accord's. It also has rings.

Moons: (569, 8 major moons).

Tharkmo's major moons are Vesta to Ceres mass.