Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Turn off notification

Pandora

Hi, I just got another idea.. 

I was wondering if it’s possible to add in the ability to turn off notifications for specific threads like status update

(one you commented on but then others keep conversation going so you keep receiving messages about it) 

the rp site linked to this place has that option and I figured it might be useful here too? 

• Brohoof 7

10 minutes ago, Pandora 🐼 said:

Hi, I just got another idea.. 

I was wondering if it’s possible to add in the ability to turn off notifications for specific threads like status update

I support this idea 100%! 

• Brohoof 2

13 minutes ago, Sparklefan1234 said:

I support this idea 100%! 

I agree. It can get annoying seeing notifications for a status I replied to that from other people that have nothing to do with me. I don't want to keep seeing it all the time so I rarely reply to status update posts.

• Brohoof 2

This is suggested quite often and I absolutely agree.

One of the things mentioned in the recent forum software update was "Notification Improvements", so at first I hoped, that they finally are going to improve these notifications, by giving us more options at the very least... But I'm absolutely disappointed. All they did is nothing.. They just changed how settings look like (I preferred the old version tbh) --and actually made things worse, as they merged some notifications, giving us even less options now. kaZdxtE.png

For example, "Someone posts on my profile" and "Someone replies to a status update I posted, is on my profile, or I have also replied to" were separate settings, now these are merged into one - "These notifications will be sent whenever somepony posts on your profile or replies to a status update that you posted, is on your profile, or that you replied to.". Well I think they should have split it into even more settings, not the other way around lol. I'd like to be notified about replies on my profile, but not on everyone else's - as these quickly flood the notification box. Because of this, I tend to limit the amount of statuses I reply to (reply "good morning" to 10 users, expect like 50 notifications from others saying "good morning" too). I have no idea why they thought, that giving even less options would be an "improvement". mindblowing ut1EJDR.png

Being able to manually "follow" status updates would be even better.

Edited by Rikifive
  • Brohoof 3

8 hours ago, Rikifive said:

This is suggested quite often and I absolutely agree.

One of the things mentioned in the recent forum software update was "Notification Improvements", so at first I hoped, that they finally are going to improve these notifications, by giving us more options at the very least... But I'm absolutely disappointed. All they did is nothing.. They just changed how settings look like (I preferred the old version tbh) --and actually made things worse, as they merged some notifications, giving us even less options now. kaZdxtE.png

For example, "Someone posts on my profile" and "Someone replies to a status update I posted, is on my profile, or I have also replied to" were separate settings, now these are merged into one - "These notifications will be sent whenever somepony posts on your profile or replies to a status update that you posted, is on your profile, or that you replied to.". Well I think they should have split it into even more settings, not the other way around lol. I'd like to be notified about replies on my profile, but not on everyone else's - as these quickly flood the notification box. Because of this, I tend to limit the amount of statuses I reply to (reply "good morning" to 10 users, expect like 50 notifications from others saying "good morning" too). I have no idea why they thought, that giving even less options would be an "improvement". mindblowing ut1EJDR.png

Being able to manually "follow" status updates would be even better.

The other site has this

C8F5A76C-23D1-472B-AE96-502CD135E712.jpeg.eaa76e07da84efdbc8381da97c61b153.jpeg
the bell is for turning off notifications to a post, the eye for hiding a post from your view entirely

• Brohoof 2

6 hours ago, Pandora 🐼 said:

The other site has this

the bell is for turning off notifications to a post, the eye for hiding a post from your view entirely

Yeah phpFox definitely allows for easier customization of forum notifications that use it. That sort of granular control isn’t available out-of-the-box for IP.B Forums. I did look over the available notification based plug-ins or add-ons that are available and none of them allow a “per topic” or “per status” feature. That leaves us with the only available option which is to built a custom solution, and for the notifications system ... that isn’t going to happen. There is a reason that this isn’t already an add-on in the marketplace for this software. 

While this is a suggestion that I would love to implement, there really isn’t a easy way forward to do it, unfortunately. 

• Brohoof 1

10 hours ago, Pandora said:

The other site has this

YES! PLEASE! :squee:

4 hours ago, Jeric said:

Yeah phpFox definitely allows for easier customization of forum notifications that use it. That sort of granular control isn’t available out-of-the-box for IP.B Forums. I did look over the available notification based plug-ins or add-ons that are available and none of them allow a “per topic” or “per status” feature. That leaves us with the only available option which is to built a custom solution, and for the notifications system ... that isn’t going to happen. There is a reason that this isn’t already an add-on in the marketplace for this software. 

While this is a suggestion that I would love to implement, there really isn’t a easy way forward to do it, unfortunately. 

Aww. :sunny: