Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

general Fisticuffs

Dreambiscuit

Have you ever been in a fight? Have you ever seen others fighting? Ever try to break up a fight and got beat up for trying to help? What do you do when faced with physical confrontation? Do you fight it out, run for cover, or maybe try to talk your way out of it? What do you think is the best approach?

• Brohoof 1

I don’t like physical confrontation and wouldn’t be much good in a fight anyway. I can see that on certain occasions physical violence might be justified as self defense or, in rare cases as a deterrent, to demonstrate that others can’t be allowed to pose a threat indefinitely. Sometimes fighting can make a statement even if it risks personal injury. Unfortunately that philosophy can be twisted into justifying violence for the wrong kinds of purposes, in which case it should be left up to law enforcement to handle.

That being said, I usually run from fights, even if they don’t involve me. I don’t like to see them and I don’t want to get injured being too close to the action.

17 hours ago, WWolf said:

I bet you fight by throwing cakes at them :P @Dreambiscuit

I'll have you know, sir, that I would never throw away a perfectly yummy cake on something so tawdry as physical confrontation! Instead I will run away with my cake, eating it as I go in hopes of finishing it before any potential opponent can catch me and take it away. Cake IS victory. let's not waste it! 

• Brohoof 1

I prefer to avoid them all together, especially after the oil boom came through my area and deposited people from around the world, so some of them think it's fair to fight with knives and clubs while others don't so...call the cops let them deal with them. Tasers work surprisingly well in that use case.

Otherwise the closest I ever got to being in one was in high school was when I was just walking along and got kicked in the crotch randomly by someone a foot taller and about 50lbs heavier. I responded by trying to grab his collar and missed so I just took my forearm and pushed him against and up the lockers. About that point I thought/mumbled "it's not worth it" and dropped him. Walking away I heard "leave him alone, he doesn't take..." and then I went to Algebra. I wasn't messed with after that by that group, which was nice.

I'd probably suck at a real fight.

Oh... a fight?  Nah.  Not really.  Well, I punched someone once... in second grade.  On the playground.  He deserved it, but that was no excuse.  Still shouldn't have done it.  It was pretty once-sided, though.  I punched, he ran away and never bothered me again.  Wasn't really a "fight".  That was the only violence I've ever been involved in.  After that, and to this day, I avoid violence at all costs.  You just don't know who might be crazy, who might have a gun, who might be willing to die or to kill.  If you're going to start shoving with a stranger, you have to ask yourself if it's worth loss of life, because you never know what maniac might take it that far.  Avoidance really has to be the master variable.

I saw a fight in high school. It was between two male students. Pretty good one 👌