Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Crime Under the Crescent Moon (1x1 Silky)

Rarity Gemstones

After a long night of staying up far too late, Gem Scribe had some regrets regarding her decisions. She was expecting to be off of work this weekend, however, she got a message from the head of her department stating she was needed over in Canterlot urgently. Ordinarily, she focused her work in Fillydalphia, but the circumstances were considered extraneous. She wasn't given a proper briefing, just a train ticket to head over there right away. Celestia deemed the matter urgent and wanted the best on the job. When Gem's boss got the call, he knew there was only one pony for the job, albeit one that they probably would have a difficult time with, and that was Gem Scribe. The best they had, however, not the easiest to work with.

Gem was known for her unconventional thinking, and extensive attention to detail when investigating. She was known as the most difficult member of the team, the one who always challenged everything, and forced everyone to work harder, but at the end of the day, she got results. At first, her boss loathed her, putting her on the cases that nopony else wanted, only to find she had a knack for solving them. After some years at this, he eventually saw her as his ace in the hole. If there was a case that couldn't be cracked by conventional means, he could get Gem on the job. The other investigators were not exactly fond of her due to her personality being far from friendly or approachable. Often times they would joke and refer to her as the deadpan pony.

Adjusting her tie as she arrived at the crime scene, Gem glanced around, noting the excessive amount of Canterlot guards surrounding the perimeter. It was a strict, no-one in no-one out lockdown, allowing only investigators in or out. Upon her arrival, Gem showed her badge to the head guard. "Gem Scribe, Criminal Investigator for Fillydalphia," she stated plainly.

The guard blinked and sized her up. She was small, and didn't exactly look the type, but he was more perplexed by her title. "Fillydalphia? What are you doing here in Canterlot?"

"Special request from Princess Celestia herself. I wasn't told why." Gem shrugged.

Another guard tapped his boss' shoulder. "Hey, you're that mare who solved the triple homicide in Fillydalphia!"

The guard captain glanced back at Gem and blinked. "Wait, you are the supposed prodigy at Criminal Affairs!?"

Gem shrugged. "I guess so."

The other guard cleared his throat and approached, bowing gently. "Iron Shield, big fan, I've seen your work, and I read your books, I didn't know they'd send someone like you here."

"Can you tell me what exactly I'm investigating?" Gem questioned.

Gesturing for her to follow, Iron guided the mare into the mansion before them. The place was lavish, and definitely more expensive than Gem's tiny apartment. She noted the taste in decor definitely was more Cloudsdale inspired.

Iron Shield began to explain the situation. "This morning, Prime Masters, the owner of this estate was murdered."

"There aren't a lot of murders in Canterlot. Usually, ponies aren't so bold to do something like that in the capital, given the Princesses live here and all..." Gem thought out loud.

"Yes, well, this one I think thought she could get away with it due to the method..." Iron explained.

"Which is?" Gem tilted her head.

"Poison. Very difficult to detect too, we had to bring in an expert just to prove it..." Iron frowned.

"You said 'she' earlier, so I'm assuming you already have a suspect?" Gem questioned.

He nodded. "Yeah. Name is Silky. She was here on business she said. Tons of ponies were. Prime was having a little convention of sorts here, invited tons to come and seek investments from him."

Gem trotted along side him as the two came to the body which had been covered with a blanket. Tons of ponies were standing guard and some taking pictures of the scene. Gem stepped past the police line and began to examine the body. As she did, she began to ask questions. "You said he was poisoned... How long did it take for him to die?"

"About 5 minutes after according to forensics."

Gem noted a strange mark around his neck. "Was he strangled?" She asked.

"No, apparently those were after he was already dead..." Iron shrugged.

"Why would someone strangle someone after they're dead?" One of the other investigators asked.

Gem stood up and shook her head. "They wouldn't. Something else happened here clearly... This suspect, is she here?"

Iron nodded. "None of the guests were permitted to leave, they're all still here."

"Why is this one more likely than the others?" Gem questioned.

"She came here selling fragrances, so she knows how to mix chemicals, she also is dodging questions when we talk to her..." Iron said.

Gem fixed her tie and crossed the police line. "Let me talk to her."

After leaving the crime scene, Gem was guided to where all of the attendees were forced to stay, in a large foyer, many of them looking confused, likely not being told what was going on. Iron Shield pointed Gem to the pony in question and nodded as he left her to her job. Gem noted her vibrant pink coat, and purple mane. A small tuft of yellow in her mane resembled a crescent moon. The mare was an elegant looking pegasus, but definitely looked out of place at such a lavish estate.

As Gem approached, she nodded and showed her ID briefly. "I'm Investigator Gem Scribe. I'm to understand that you supposedly poisoned Prime Masters?"

Her approach to police work was far from conventional. Most investigators wouldn't be so forward with a suspect, but that was why Gem wasn't seen as an ordinary investigator.

• Brohoof 1