Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Are you pony currently a -aboo on a specific culture?

Slappy Bird

If you don't know, the word is derived from weaboo, a person that has a fixation on Japanese culture (especially anime and manga); which made me wonder if there's a equivalent to other culture or country. I know that slavaboos, and koreaboo exist.

For me, I want to way Vietnam, but -aboo implies that you're not from that country you're fixed to begin with. I guess i'm a -aboo to a specific religion as of now (not going to mention what because I don't know if mentioning any IRL religion violate the guidelines)

• Brohoof 2

I've never thought of it being applied to other countries like that. Usually I've just heard the sort of tag name added to -phile, such as Francophile, Germanophile, or Russophile. Even more interesting is that being applied to Religion. :ButtercupLaugh: I'm picturing someone walking into another person's house and seeing a muscular cardboard cutout of Jesus surrounded by figurines, candles, and a collection of styled crosses and fish bumper stickers.

"Oh, I see that you're very strong about you're faith?"

"Huh? Oh that! No, I'm just a big fan!"

I'm not currently diving into any cultures, but as a man I'm thinking of Rome regularly. ;)

• Delighted Giggle 2

Interesting question... One could perhaps apply that to me in regards to France, England or Greece.

France - Some of my usernames are French terms. I also adore Medieval French music, the Formes Fixes are some of my favorite vocal works from all music history. It's a common thing for me if I'm in a game and I need names for three characters, I'll name them after the three Formes Fixes (Rondeau, Ballade, Virelai). xD And kinda in the way that weeaboos are so far removed from Japanese culture and life in reality, my obsession with French stuff is mostly medieval music.

France is also where the oboe originated, so that's awesome of France!

England - Again, music. I'm obsessed with English (some other British as well, but a lot of it is English) folk music. I listen to it a lot!! I also really like the accents. And... Well, lets just say that one really shallow reason I am looking forward to moving to New England is because I really like English town names, which New England has sooo many, obviously because it was originally colonized by the English.

Greece - Even more shallow than the others, I just like the aesthetic of ancient Greece. I love the architecture of ancient Greece, and the artstyle of the vases. I also adore the language! But this is all very shallow, and perhaps where a weeaboo would say they would want to live in Japan, I wouldn't want to live in ancient Greece. No way. It had so many issues, including overt sexism. But I also wouldn't really want to live in modern Greece. Too hot. lol.

I could also say Germany and Italy to lesser extents.

• Brohoof 3

Closest one would just be a good old weeaboo. Although I don’t really consider myself one because I don’t watch that much anime or read that much manga. Or listen to much jpop. I love my Kojima and Nintendo games though ooooo. Nor do I really know that much about overall Japanese culture besides how absolutely brutal their work culture is.

Edited by Iforgotmybrain
Added more details

7 hours ago, Envy said:

Interesting question... One could perhaps apply that to me in regards to France, England or Greece.

France - Some of my usernames are French terms. I also adore Medieval French music, the Formes Fixes are some of my favorite vocal works from all music history. It's a common thing for me if I'm in a game and I need names for three characters, I'll name them after the three Formes Fixes (Rondeau, Ballade, Virelai). xD And kinda in the way that weeaboos are so far removed from Japanese culture and life in reality, my obsession with French stuff is mostly medieval music.

France is also where the oboe originated, so that's awesome of France!

England - Again, music. I'm obsessed with English (some other British as well, but a lot of it is English) folk music. I listen to it a lot!! I also really like the accents. And... Well, lets just say that one really shallow reason I am looking forward to moving to New England is because I really like English town names, which New England has sooo many, obviously because it was originally colonized by the English.

Greece - Even more shallow than the others, I just like the aesthetic of ancient Greece. I love the architecture of ancient Greece, and the artstyle of the vases. I also adore the language! But this is all very shallow, and perhaps where a weeaboo would say they would want to live in Japan, I wouldn't want to live in ancient Greece. No way. It had so many issues, including overt sexism. But I also wouldn't really want to live in modern Greece. Too hot. lol.

I could also say Germany and Italy to lesser extents.

Heh, if the Oboe is from France, why is it called the English horn?

Personally can’t say I have any -aboos.

8 hours ago, DubWolf said:

Heh, if the Oboe is from France, why is it called the English horn?

You think you're making a joke, but you should never, ever jokingly ask a question about woodwind instruments to me, because you're going to get a real and detailed answer. :mlp_laugh:

There are a couple of different reasons historians think it may have gotten that name. It is not English in origin, so yeah, English is not the reason.

My favorite reasoning would be that... Well if you know the history of the country name England - England's name is based off of one of the many tribes that invaded it back in the early medieval period: The Anglo-Saxons. It was Anglo-land, which became England. Now, Anglo means Angel. So it's possibly that the English Horn was originally considered the Angel's Horn. But like how Anglo-Land got "corrupted" (for lack of a better word, I'm not a linguist expert) into England, Angel's Horn got corrupted into English Horn. The very same process as the name of England as we have it today. Wouldn't that be cool? lol

^That's my favorite potential reasoning because I adore the instrument and think it is beautiful, so it originally being called the Angel's horn is cool.

The other more practical reasoning is it is instead a "corruption" from "angled". Back in the day, there were versions of the instrument where it was angled or curved. So... since Anglo and Angled are very similar worlds, angled somehow could have "corrupted" into English. I think this one is mentioned more and is more likely than the other, but it's been a while since I looked into thsi.

• Leaves 1

(edited)
On 2023-10-27 at 8:56 AM, SharpWit said:

I've never thought of it being applied to other countries like that. Usually I've just heard the sort of tag name added to -phile, such as Francophile, Germanophile, or Russophile. Even more interesting is that being applied to Religion. :ButtercupLaugh: I'm picturing someone walking into another person's house and seeing a muscular cardboard cutout of Jesus surrounded by figurines, candles, and a collection of styled crosses and fish bumper stickers.

"Oh, I see that you're very strong about you're faith?"

"Huh? Oh that! No, I'm just a big fan!"

I'm not currently diving into any cultures, but as a man I'm thinking of Rome regularly. ;)

Well, I'm interested in learning the culture of Islam (even if it's unlikely I'll convert). It's mainly started with a movie I watched, Le Grand Voyage

Made me wonder if that people in your made-up example has converted into an actual Christian

Edited by Slappy Bird

6 hours ago, Slappy Bird said:

Made me wonder if that people in your made-up example has converted into an actual Christian

I'm going to say it's very possible to not be the case. There are plenty of people out there nowadays who like the "aesthetic" of a religion, but do not follow it.

I can think of myself in terms of the ancient Greek muse Euterpe who is said to have created wind instruments. I could totally see myself having stuff with her on it and even necklaces I would wear in public if I could find one I liked. I could even see myself doing a fake prayer to Euterpe before a performance (or say her in place where most people say "God", like "Euterpe, give me patience this day" lol), but I do not believe she is real, I just think that the concept is cool. lol. It's an aesthetic to me, nothing more. And I think that when we talk about someone being a "weeaboo" for something, they are only into it in shallow ways, whereas if they had to live in that culture they'd be shocked.

I can also think of myself as liking many things aesthetically about Christianity, such as artwork, architecture and early/classical music, but I am not a Christian at all. Beyond appreciating those things I wouldn't even call myself culturally Christian.

So, there you go. xD

Probably weren't expecting an answer to that... Sorry about that. lol

• Brohoof 1

52 minutes ago, Envy said:

And I think that when we talk about someone being a "weeaboo" for something, they are only into it in shallow ways, whereas if they had to live in that culture they'd be shocked.

I feel like they'll be shocked when they realized it's not as exciting as they may think it is; it's like how people wanted to be a secret agent, or a YouTuber, but when they do: its mundane as any other job, and the action/adventurous part is rare (if they even happens)

Hopefully I interpret your "they'd be shocked" part correctly

11 hours ago, Slappy Bird said:

Well, I'm interested in learning the culture of Islam (even if it's unlikely I'll convert). It's mainly started with a movie I watched, Le Grand Voyage

It's a possibility. I wonder sometimes with the strength of Christian symbolism in some Anime, whether that's occurred or not

The Canon of my example however, will have the Boo in question attend a Sunday mass, only to be dissapointing compared to other conventions and fandom gatherings.

I highly reccomend the Useful Charts YouTube channel for timelines, family trees, and breakdowns/summaries for various aspects of Islam in your case, and all the major religions and their denominations for others interested.

On 2023-10-29 at 2:46 AM, SharpWit said:

I highly reccomend the Useful Charts YouTube channel for timelines, family trees, and breakdowns/summaries for various aspects of Islam in your case, and all the major religions and their denominations for others interested.

Didn't know that thanks

• smile 1