Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

what classic movie or tv series do you enjoy that could never happen today due to Liberal "PC culture"?

Reiki Knight 13

So, as many know the standard for film or tv series have vastly changed over the years and over time what was okay then may not have been okay in later years. 

Which brings up a very interesting point regarding at least the US with the those on the more liberal political view point believing in the idealism of PC or being Politically Correct about things and getting rid of what is deemed offensive in nature . 

Now, whether you agree this or think that they are going to far one thing that cannot be disputed is how the  very nature of how liberal PC culture has impacted the film and tv industry. This brings me to the very point of this post in regards to classic movies  or tv shows you love that were made well before liberal PC culture existed do you believe would never be able to be made today and as a bonus to this question do you believe there is a realistic way to fix the issue so it could be made today or is the movie/show in question so "offensive" in nature that there is no way it could be redeemed to today's liberal PC culture?

I'll start us off if for no other reason than for a few quick examples.

Example #1

The movie I think could never be made today that I love is 16 Candles.  

The reason it couldn't be made today: the character "Long Duck Dawn" is a highly offensive Asian stereotype.

Could this be fixed? Possibly, if you did away with the offensive nature of the character and instead changed his stupidity and clumsiness etc to a more generalized nature instead of it being more culturally based as was done in the movie. 

Example #2.

the movie I think could never be is Ace Ventura: Pet Detective.

The reason why the movie couldn't be made today: The twist of the female detective being revealed as trans and having previously been male along with the "disgusted" reaction to this revelation could be seen as highly trans-phobic in nature. 

Could the movie be fixed? Not very likely there is unlikely to be anyway to change it as the villain being trans is a key point of the movie's plot twist and you would have to almost completely rewrite major parts of the movie itself as well create some other elaborate method for how said villain of movie was able to evade the police for so long. All in all, there would be too much to change to be able to fix this movie.  

Okay, there are some quick examples one for a movie issue that could be changed and one example for a movie issue that likely couldn't be changed. 

Now you don't need to be too specific about the issue just enough so the issue itself could be understood.

As far as TV show go if it is the series in general say what it is about the series BUT if is a specific episode or two that is the offender then just list the specfic episode in nature and if that episode could either be deleted or fixed to fix the issue then. 

Anyways, let's a fun discussion about this.  

• Brohoof 2

I love old sitcoms like All in the Family and Sanford and Son, a lot of those old 80's movies like the one you mentioned (Sixteen Candles and similar stuff) and even older "classic" movies like Gone with the Wind.  I know for sure none of those could be made today.

16 minutes ago, Dita Bear said:

I love old sitcoms like All in the Family and Sanford and Son, a lot of those old 80's movies like the one you mentioned (Sixteen Candles and similar stuff) and even older "classic" movies like Gone with the Wind.  I know for sure none of those could be made today.

I saw a clip of Archie bunker meeting George Jefferson and all I can say is while funny there is no way such a conversation would ever make it on tv again.  Two of the raunchiest characters in TV history having a conversation is just as hilarious and offensive as you can imagine it would be.

• Brohoof 1