Would you still consider The Last Problem canon in G5?

WickedGames

(edited)

Given how controversial that episode is I wonder if they have have decided to written that off as “non canon”?

Edited by WickedGames
  • Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

• The title was changed to Would you still consider The Last Problem canon in G5?

Not idea what you meant with "controversial" :mlp_huh: but well, about the canon part...It's relative, I think just the fact that G5 is a sequel to G4 already makes a retcon to the final episode of FiM.

FiM's finale has the purpose of showing that the entirety of Equestria is now facing a peaceful era where there's no threat, then G5 tells us that something bad actually happened, plus, introduces us to a villain who exists since the Celestia & Luna era, another retcon. Now if you think these retcons make FiM's finale not canon, it's fine, but I personally think the entirety of G5 should not be considered canon to G4 then. Is the End of FiM canon to FiM? Is it canon to G5? Your question can be interpreted in many different ways, G5's writers maybe don't consider G4's finale, maybe they do, they are making their own interpretetion on G4's story, with it, contradictions may happen. 

What I personally would consider so far is that, yeah, it is, I know Twilight in her "spirit form" and in the flashbacks only appears in her pre-End of FiM appearance, but I believe her Final episode design may be stuck to the contract with Discovery Family. For me it will be like that unless there are big contradictions.

• Brohoof 3

6 hours ago, Rafa Stary said:

Not idea what you meant with "controversial" :mlp_huh: but well, about the canon part...It's relative, I think just the fact that G5 is a sequel to G4 already makes a retcon to the final episode of FiM.

FiM's finale has the purpose of showing that the entirety of Equestria is now facing a peaceful era where there's no threat, then G5 tells us that something bad actually happened, plus, introduces us to a villain who exists since the Celestia & Luna era, another retcon. Now if you think these retcons make FiM's finale not canon, it's fine, but I personally think the entirety of G5 should not be considered canon to G4 then. Is the End of FiM canon to FiM? Is it canon to G5? Your question can be interpreted in many different ways, G5's writers maybe don't consider G4's finale, maybe they do, they are making their own interpretetion on G4's story, with it, contradictions may happen. 

What I personally would consider so far is that, yeah, it is, I know Twilight in her "spirit form" and in the flashbacks only appears in her pre-End of FiM appearance, but I believe her Final episode design may be stuck to the contract with Discovery Family. For me it will be like that unless there are big contradictions.

The comics say it happened right away but MYM says that it was peaceful for “Many Moons”

• Brohoof 2

9 hours ago, WickedGames said:

The comics say it happened right away but MYM says that it was peaceful for “Many Moons”

It's hard to say. Maybe they had different plans for the story, let's remember that TyT was made months or a year before MyM, so there are episodes in TyT showing us a slightly different take on the MyM chapters (specially Chapter 6) with a possible early version of the script. I personally believe it's more likely that they planned the comics to tell a different story, now, if it was meant to be canon, I have no idea. 

• Brohoof 2

On 2024-06-24 at 9:43 PM, Rafa Stary said:

It's hard to say. Maybe they had different plans for the story, let's remember that TyT was made months or a year before MyM, so there are episodes in TyT showing us a slightly different take on the MyM chapters (specially Chapter 6) with a possible early version of the script. I personally believe it's more likely that they planned the comics to tell a different story, now, if it was meant to be canon, I have no idea. 

Also the comics are not restricted by the Discovery Family rights 

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I don't consider it canon to G4, let alone G5. :laugh: I should also add that I don't consider G5 canon to G4 either.

Edited by Octavia Heartstrings
  • Brohoof 3

On 2024-06-26 at 10:09 PM, Octavia Heartstrings said:

I don't consider it canon to G4, let alone G5. :laugh: I should also add that I don't consider G5 canon to G4 either.

I don't consider generation 5 to be canon to 4 either. The continuity has been too poor for me to take it seriously as a sequel to Friendship is Magic.

I do consider The Last Problem canon though. I don't see any reason not to.

• Brohoof 2

No. I don't consider it canon in G4, nor in G5. I thought it was a very poor episode - nor do I consider G5 canon to G4.

• Brohoof 2

I still stand by my headcanon that the G5 universe is separate from the universe where The Last Problem happens. In that case I guess I wouldn't consider it to be canon to G5 since it wouldn't have ever happened. Opaline shows up before it happens and the events of G5 unfold instead.

• Brohoof 3

11 hours ago, Misty Shadow said:

Of course it's canon. It happened, and that's that. What does my opinion on it being canon or not change? :jazz-hooves-please:

This.

The Last Problem happened. It's part of the timeline in G4 and G5.

Yes, it's canon.

• Brohoof 2