(edited)

Okay, I know this question is random, but hear me out. Ever since season 5 episode 11 (Party Pooped), came out and introduced us to the yaks, there’s something that I’ve been wondering about the yaks… that being why do the yaks cover their eyes with their hair? I never understood this. 

I’ve got a picture from a season 7 episode called Not Asking for Trouble which shows us some of the yaks, including Prince Rutherford. They all have their eyes hidden behind their hair.

IMG_0825.webp

The thing is that it’s mostly the adult yaks that hide their eyes behind their hair. Yona doesn't her eyes, and some younger yaks don’t do that either, so why the adult yaks? This is just a random question that I’ve been wondering for a while now.

Edited by Lnx1ynight16
  • Brohoof 3

I don't believe they hide but that they just don't do hair cut and their hair/mane are commonly long, and they don't bother cutting or lifting the bangs which is pretty understandable by Yaks standards.

• Brohoof 4

On 2024-07-29 at 7:58 PM, donutmasterjoe said:

I don't believe they hide but that they just don't do hair cut and their hair/mane are commonly long, and they don't bother cutting or lifting the bangs which is pretty understandable by Yaks standards.

That makes sense

Exaggeration of the Cartoon Art Style, Real World Yaks already have a lot of fur covering their heads, the FiM artists decided to exaggerate that trait and make the fur cover their eyes as well, as for the age thing, it's another common characteristic of cartoons as well, young characters usually have less fur or shorter hair than adult characters.

It's just a silly artistic decision, animes do a similar thing by making characters that can somehow see even though their eyes are always closed (like this -> ^^), they actually do see, they just have their eyes always closed or hair covering their eyes because cartoon logic :ButtercupLaugh:

though that could be part of their culture too, also, Songbird Serenade from the 2017 Movie also had hair covering her eyes.

• Brohoof 2

Ohh, okay, I see where you’re coming from. I guess since the adult yaks have more fur than the younger yaks, they probably just let their hair grow out.