Pixi-Pie

5-25-20-reject.thumb.png.63b09d37773dadfe9f4c7be7d6a44ed3.png5-25-4-connection.thumb.png.409a9640bc1c09edb64980af8674b3a5.pngSo I'm wondering if someone has an in-universe explanation for Spike's varying egg colors. In Twilight's memory it is purple with purple dots, but during her sideshow in Canterlot (season 5) we see a photo of it as a white egg with green spots. There is an instance ( maybe in season 1? I don't know where) when Spike recalls it as purple with green spots. 

Obviously you could say that Spike's memory is wrong, and that the white and green egg was just a creative liberty taken by the pony who drew the picture and Twilight's memory was the right one...

But is there any theories that are more creative? 

• Brohoof 1

17 hours ago, ZiggWheelsManning said:

Does spike mention his egg in other episodes every season?  

I don't think so

I can imagine a few in-universe possibilities!

Since we do know the majority of ponies had very little knowledge of dragons for such a long time, it'd make sense that there wasn't any useful point of references (atleast not without likely going through a lot of hoops, such requesting some sorta research docs from the school of magic or whatnot) so the artist took some creative liberties with the egg. They prob ended up going with a white eggshell to make it more apparent its meant to be an egg and then tossed some green spots on it to make it look more dragon-y, or maybe even just for the sake of color-balancing so it would be easier for people to see Spike through all that purple.

Alternatively, Twilight was pretty young when she had first seen it. It could very likely have been purple with green spots this whole time, but since it had been so long ago, the exact details blurred together over time and ended up coming out as mainly purple in her head. Or maybe Spike just assumed it was purple and green like him since again, ponies didn't have much frame of reference for most stuff dragon at the time and the description stuck since neither were 100% sure since it had been a good while since he hatched from it

• Thanks 1

On 2024-08-02 at 11:44 PM, Pixi-Pie said:

you could say that Spike's memory is wrong, and that the white and green egg was just a creative liberty taken by the pony who drew the picture and Twilight's memory was the right one

Well, it's the most plausible explanation.

In episode 1 spike says that he was a "cute purple and green egg", in The Cutie Mark Chronicles it is shown as a purple egg with purple dots on it.

In The Cutie Remark when starlight traveled in the past and changed time the egg was shown and it was the same as in The Cutie Mark Chronicles. So my best guess is that Spike's egg was purple but twilight told Spike that his egg was purple and green because she could not remember it so well. In the sideshow Twilight probably told someone to draw her this pictures and they probably didn't care or didn't know Spike's egg color.

• Brohoof 1
  • Thanks 1