Origins of the Tree of Harmony?

theponytheoristMM

So while I was rewatching the g4 MLP episode ‘Shadow Play”, I remembered that Starswirl very plainly went into detail about the origins of the Tree of Harmony. Shortly before sacrificing themselves to bind himself and the other Pillars to Limbo, He says: “But we shall leave behind a seed, in hopes that one day, it will grow into a force to stand against the darkness for all time.” This seed was actually a jewel that was infused with the Pillars’ of Equestria’s elements- Strength, Bravery, Healing, Hope, Beauty, and Sorcery. The seed later grew into the Tree of Harmony and spread its roots out to other lands, as revealed in season 10 of the comic arc, to manifest the Trees of Love, History, Family, Purpose, and Patriotism. 

Question is- where did the Pillars- or Starswirl- get this “seed”? Neither the comics, books, or series reveals this information, and after so long, I doubt that any new lore on the origin of the Tree will be dropped now that we’re well into g5. But I do have an idea of where this seed originated from…..

I believe that the seed that grew into the Tree of Harmony could’ve come into possession by someone in Starswirl’s group (likely Mage Meadowbrook) from the g1 Takara ponies. And let me explain why I believe that could be….First off- the seed is a gemstone. While there is no shortage of gems in Equestria, I am led to believe that the seed did in fact come from the Takara ponies, because 1: the name “Takara” in Japanese means “treasure; jewel, precious thing”. The elements of Harmony that came from the Tree later on are indeed very valuable and took the form of gemstones. 2: Starswirl and friends planted the seed  in hopes that it would grow to defend against the darkness for all time, during a time when they needed to sacrifice themselves to keep a villain at bay. Meanwhile, there is heavy emphasis on the Lily of the Valley flower in what we see of the Takara pony imagery, in what little “canon” they have been given through their box art and blurbs. In the flower language, a Lily of the Valley means “a return to happiness” and also “unity”; “peace”. Seems perfect symbolism right around a time when it is needed most for figures who will no longer be around due to putting their lives on the line as guardians, but who need to leave a tool for future generations to combat the darkness of villains who crop up after them, I’d say. 

But what do you guys think? 

• Brohoof 2

Ooo I love this! I honestly know next to nothing about G1, but it would be so cool if whichever writer came up with the Tree of Harmony was a long time fan and was thinking this in depth about its origins! Even if it wasn't the writers' intention, I think this is a great theory to cement a connection between g5 to g1, which are usually only loosely tied through references like the Smooze.

The Tree of Harmony itself has always fascinated me since it was revealed in the show. I always thought that if they were more lore-heavy with the writing, there could have been some unique relationship between the Tree's magic and Discord's (not to make everything about Discord lmao sorry). Harmony magic vs. chaos magic? Idk I just always thought it would have been cool if we found out some ancient being of Harmony had become the Tree or the Seed of the Tree in an effort to overcome discord in the world or something!

Anyway to get back on topic, I really like your theory. It would be so cool if the Seed had been passed down through generations and generations until its origins were obscured, only to be planted and brought to fruition by the Pillars!

image.thumb.gif.b519a9206d321dcb0796f81734051bda.gif