Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

"Making Christmas Merrier" - The Wrap Up

Twilight Sparkle ✨

The Making Christmas Merrier fundraiser was a stunning success, considering it began in the comments section of a stray status update. Following several final donations by myself and my family, the final tally came out to exactly $400.00 CAD, a copy of Sonic Colors, and a custom-designed holiday greeting card (complete with poem!).

I took everything to BC Children's Hospital, met up with my contact, and personally handed all the proceeds over to her, being sure to request that the money be used to purchase Christmas gifts. The hospital staff I talked to were all quite impressed with what we had accomplished and will send over a formal letter of acknowledgment (in the name of MLP Forums, not me) for our collective gift.

That's not all, though - the donations you've made are tax-deductible, and I can get you a tax receipt for your contribution. In all honesty, I don't know whether said tax receipt will have any use outside of Canada, but I should be able to at least get you one no matter where you are. If you'd like to receive one, please send me a private message with the following information:

• first & last name
  • physical home address (in full)
  • an email for the hospital to have on file
I'll keep this information strictly confidential and won't use it for anything other than to acquire a tax receipt in your name (which I'll directly pass on to you).

Time for some pictures! I created a new album in our gallery with a few photos. I also got a group shot with some of the hospital staff, but my mom's a little antsy about the idea of my face going up online. Will see what I can do about it, though.

Special thanks to everyone who made this happen!

Donors:

• Apple Bloom
  • Feather Spiral
  • Fluttershy
  • Josh the Brony
  • Klopp
  • Krall
  • marco23p
  • Pinkie Prectar
  • Senn555
  • TallBrony91
  • XFizzle
  • Zoop
  • Marina (my sister)
  • Ali (my sister's boyfriend)
  • Stanislava (my mother)
  • Feld0 (me)
In addition to the above, special thanks to...
  • Swoop, for designing a beautiful Christmas card and complying with my specific requirements at incredibly short notice.
  • Feather Spiral, for writing a wonderful poem to accompany our gift.
  • TallBrony91, for choosing to give the physical gift of a video game in addition to a monetary one.
  • Kurtiss. Even though you weren't involved in this charitable event, MLP Forums owes its existence to you and none of this would ever have happened had you not gotten the ball rolling on this community first.
Brohooves all around for actually making this happen! :D
  • Brohoof 15

Come now, you had all of that cash on-hand and you didn't think you take a photo of yourself holding it while flashing various gang signs? ;)

Good to see that things were able to come to a smooth conclusion. Perhaps next year, the donations will be doubled.

• Brohoof 5

You put all our names on the greeting card! I love you Feld0! :wub: (but you know, in a totally platonic way :P ) Even though no one knows who I am, it makes me feel good that my name will be seen by the people receiving my donation.

• Brohoof 1

~Yay

It makes me so happy to see everything coming together so nicely, I'm sure the hospital will really appreciate our efforts.

And just a quick note on tax receipts, I've done quite allot of charity with the Oak Tree Foundation here in Melbourne, and whether or not one can receive a deduction from an overseas donation is dependant upon your countries tax laws; some countries have a donation threshold of about $10-20, while others don't allow it at all. Either way, the important thing is that our donations have reached the hospital, and are helping out kids in need. ^^

• Brohoof 1

That's spectacular! I'm glad we were able to raise so much for the kids over there. And the card is a very nice touch (Woohoo, my (user)name's on there! ;)) They should frame it on a wall somewhere within the hospital, at least that's what I'd do if I were in charge of the place :P

I'm looking forward to next years charity, since it will certainly be better organised. And we will certainly have more members, as well as currently jobless ponies will hopefully have one by then. I'm sure we can get at least $1000 next year. Plus I'm sure next year I will be able to save up a bit more specifically for this purpose.

I give many thanks to everypony who helped us reach $400, and to those who helped in other ways as well!

• Brohoof 1

Charity wrap-up, charity wrap-uuuup~

Dunno if the French system allows tax deductions from overseas donations. Though, I don't pay taxes anyway, seeing I live with my parents.

I need to leave for a kung-fu lesson right now

for a kung-fu lesson

kung-fu

You.

Posted Image

You're now officially the awesomest pony I know.

Edited by Feather Spiral
  • Brohoof 1

I feel kind of stupid for asking this, but, why would I want a tax receipt? What's it useful for?

I don't know anything about how tax deductions work...

Throughout the year as you go about your daily life buying different things, you're likely to purchase a couple of items which allow you to receive a reduction on your amount of taxable income. Items that provide this benefit are said to be tax deductible.

So what kind of items are we talking about here? The types of goods and services permitted for deductions varies from country to country, but as a general rule most countries allow deductions for donations as well as most items that you personally had to purchase in order for you to generate some form of income. For example, a plumber who had to purchase a new wrench for $60 in order to fix a sink, could claim the purchase as a deduction. If the plumber had an annual taxable income of say around $30,000, after the deduction, he would have a taxable income of $29,940, so he'll be paying less tax at the end of the day, saving him money.

So why the receipt? Whether you do your taxes yourself or if you use a tax accountant, you'll know that in order to prove your purchases, you need to have some sort of physical record of the transaction, thus a tax receipt is used.

I hope that clears things up a little bit for you. ;)

Edited by Swoop
  • Brohoof 2

I haven't received a single request for a tax receipt from anyone yet. This is my last call for them, because the hospital is expecting to hear back from me with a list of everyone expecting one.

I've finally updated the OP with the list of donors and thank-you's.

Consider this year's event a trial run - I plan to do it again next year, but with much better forethought, planning, and an incentive to donate. The community will also be larger then, which will hopefully help us do even better. :D

• Brohoof 2

I hope that clears things up a little bit for you. ;)

VERY much so. Thank you. :)

My dad actually does my finances for me - I guess I should feel terrible about that since I'm nearly 21 and I haven't moved out into my own house yet.

VERY much so. Thank you. :)

My dad actually does my finances for me - I guess I should feel terrible about that since I'm nearly 21 and I haven't moved out into my own house yet.

Happy I could be of assistance.

Don't feel bad about not moving out, the only reason I know anything about tax is because I left home when I was about sixteen and a half, and got the shock of my life when I realised that I was going to have to regulate my own finances!

You soon see that most governments' economic views can be summed up in three short phrases: If it moves, tax it. If it keeps moving, regulate it. And if it stops moving, subsidise it. :P

Getting back on topic, I'm not too surprised that there's been no requests for a receipt. Even though a tax deduction is a nice bonus, nopony really donated with the thought of any financial compensation in mind; to me it almost takes away from the notion of giving back to the community, but that's just how I perceive it.

Anyways, Its good to hear we'll be doing this again next year, I'll be sure to put some money away so I can contribute a little more next time round!

Getting back on topic, I'm not too surprised that there's been no requests for a receipt. Even though a tax deduction is a nice bonus, nopony really donated with the thought of any financial compensation in mind; to me it almost takes away from the notion of giving back to the community, but that's just how I perceive it.

Now I just feel even more stupid for requesting a receipt in the first place.

I've been so sheltered my entire life and I'm just so naive to how the real world works. Not your fault, I really appreciate knowing this stuff, but... wow do I ever feel daft.

Sigh.

Now I just feel even more stupid for requesting a receipt in the first place.

I've been so sheltered my entire life and I'm just so naive to how the real world works. Not your fault, I really appreciate knowing this stuff, but... wow do I ever feel daft.

Sigh.

I haven't sent the email to the hospital yet - want me to leave your request out?

I haven't sent the email to the hospital yet - want me to leave your request out?

Yes please, that would be great. Thank you.

At least now you have the added bonus of having my mailing address if you ever wanted to send me a present. (just kidding :P)