Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Aztec Pony Operating System

Twango

(edited)

Download the Readme.pdf for instructions on installation. Video tutorial coming soon!

Download Aztec Pony 1.0.0 [stable Release] [LiveCD Version] {RECOMMENDED FOR EVERYPONY}

>>Readme.pdf for 1.0.0

Download Aztec Pony 1.0.1 [Dev Release] *NOT AVAILABLE* {RECOMMENDED FOR TECH SAVY PONIES}

Scroll Down for information about AZTEC PONY!

Quick Installation Instructions (View PDF for detailed instructions)

>>Once you've MOUNTED the *.iso file you downloaded in your VM Program like Virtualbox or VMWare, as the disk to boot to, in a VM you already created, start the VM. Follow on screen instructions, when it asks you if you want to "Destroy the Disk", press Y until the message disappears, this just overwrites the contents of the Virtual Hard Disk. **NOTE** IF YOU INSTALL THIS ON AN >>ACTUAL<< MACHINE, IT WILL REPLACE WHATEVER OPERATING SYSTEM YOU ALREADY HAVE INSTALLED!.

Changelog

#1.0.0 Released 7/15/2012#

>>First official release

Hello everypony!

I've been working on a new project for all of you to enjoy; it's called Aztec Pony.

Aztec Pony is a Linux operating system, designed for you tech-savy ponies.

We recommend you install Aztec Pony on a Virtual Machine like VMWare or Virtualbox. This will be 100% free.

If you want your art to be included with ALL FUTURE RELEASES OF AZTEC PONY, POST IT HERE.

Wallpapers, songs, and images are accepted. Suggestions are welcome.

I'm still testing some features, so version 0.0.1 will be out really soon!

~Twango

Posted Image

Edited by Twango
Please don't solicit donations without Feld0's permission.
  • Brohoof 1

I'm interested in this. I'm a Linux guy myself. If you want a tester before you put something in open release, I can help you with that.

I do have a couple of questions:

Is it based off another distro, or is it independent?

Which package manager does it have?

What's the default interface?

(edited)

I had such idea before, but... Does it have any sense? There's too much ditros for now. Many of them are even forgotten. Some need "adoption". IMO we should better focus on developing themes and GUI, which firstly is simpler to develop, secondly it will be more portable and last but not least it still can be related to ponies.

But if you want to train yourself or train dev. with a group that's a very cool idea ;)

Edited by lunaforevar

I had such idea before, but... Does it have any sense? There's too much ditros for now. Many of them are even forgotten. Some need "adoption". IMO we should better focus on developing themes and GUI, which firstly is simpler to develop, secondly it will be more portable and last but not least it still can be related to ponies.

But if you want to train yourself or train dev. with a group that's a very cool idea ;)

There are already thousands of them out there. I think there is no harm in a pony-centric distro, especially if it includes some awesome ponyware.

(edited)

There are already thousands of them out there. I think there is no harm in a pony-centric distro, especially if it includes some awesome ponyware.

Ok but look: isn't it better to create pony desktop enviroment (like GNOME, KDE) which could be installed on probably ANY modern distro WITHOUT drive formatting, etc. rather than creating the entire distribution with kernel, userland, new server for repositories and what's one of the most important: support. If I see the message: "Kernel panic... --sleeping forever; Error %s", would you be able to help me? Because making new distro is associated with a lot of bugs and the ones we see are lead by COMPANIES.

Look for e.g. on iPodLinux. Last change was in 2009. But the project was brilliant and since that year, iPod unlocking gone forward. However, today nobody knows about it. (http://ipl.derpapst.eu or (dead) http://ipodlinux.org).

Or ponyware... You can just create sever with repositrories (deb, rpm packages, source tarballs) and you can have that "ponyware" on ANY distro and EASILY installed.

@topic:

U know I like this idea, I think it's very constructive and may provide a lot of integration in "pony community" ( ;) ), but it's kinda waste of time. If you are really bored, than that's ok ;P.

"Is it based off another distro, or is it independent?": that's also interesting question. IMO it SOULD be based on Fedora Sugar. Why? It's lovely looking, eye candy ( <-- ʇnoqɐ ʞlɐʇ ) and what's awesome: it's social. How? You have an interactive map with users connected around the world. And that would be amazing. You will be able to know anypony using this OS, avoiding use of slooowww... browserrrr...., intee...rrrrnet and online user inteface (like this IPB) waiting for replies by clicking F5 every 2 seconds, while you can talk with anypony around and no need to send invitation. It' slike PonySquare but faster and compiled.

Ik it's a distro for kids, but I have installed it once, it was kewl, but the problem was mostly about "activities" and my WLAN card (it stopped connecting after 2nd boot). So recreating this OS it a pony way would be the best idea on the Pony <-->Linux project, of course IMO. (check out this "activity" LOL http://activities.sugarlabs.org/en-US/sugar/addon/4034 )

Edited by lunaforevar

Ok but look: isn't it better to create pony desktop enviroment (like GNOME, KDE) which could be installed on probably ANY modern distro WITHOUT drive formatting, etc. rather than creating the entire distribution with kernel, userland, new server for repositories and what's one of the most important: support. If I see the message: "Kernel panic... --sleeping forever; Error %s", would you be able to help me? Because making new distro is associated with a lot of bugs and the ones we see are lead by COMPANIES.

Look for e.g. on iPodLinux. Last change was in 2009. But the project was brilliant and since that year, iPod unlocking gone forward. However, today nobody knows about it. (http://ipl.derpapst.eu or (dead) http://ipodlinux.org).

Or ponyware... You can just create sever with repositrories (deb, rpm packages, source tarballs) and you can have that "ponyware" on ANY distro and EASILY installed.

I don't think that creating a DE is the way to go. How many people do you think would seriously use a ponycentric DE? Sure, I'd use a pony themed Gnome Shell or a pony KDE, but not an entire DE, and not just because it's pony themed. I'd mostly be worried about its stability and feature set. Can the DE really compare to these mature systems like Gnome, KDE, or LXDE? I think one would be hard pressed to make it work.

So why would a distro make sense you ask? Making distros can basically be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Everypony remembers SUSE Studio (http://susestudio.com/) right? Maybe somepony here has actually used it. I know that I've made an Ubuntu based distro that I used for our robotics setup several years ago. It was basically just a stock Ubuntu with some additional internal software and a lot of custom configuration used to better integrate our robotics hardware into the workflow, but that was still pretty cool. If you base the distro off another mature distro, there can be very little work to do if you want.

Also, a pony distro would be great as a way to prank people. Slip in the CD when someone's not looking and POOF!!! Their whole computer is ponified. Or perhaps you have a friend who got a virus and asked you for help. What better way to promote ponies than to be able to tell your friend that it was the ponies that did the trick!

(edited)

So why would a distro make sense you ask? Making distros can basically be as easy or as hard as you want it to be. Everypony remembers SUSE Studio (http://susestudio.com/) right? Maybe somepony here has actually used it. I know that I've made an Ubuntu based distro that I used for our robotics setup several years ago. It was basically just a stock Ubuntu with some additional internal software and a lot of custom configuration used to better integrate our robotics hardware into the workflow, but that was still pretty cool. If you base the distro off another mature distro, there can be very little work to do if you want.

Making a distro doesn't mean changing software and adding media to some other. This is just spin off/derivative from other. Making a true distro is tuning up kernel, recompiling, creating own installer, changing the way fs works (see /mnt and /media), changing shell, userland, initramfs, providing own resources, repositories, drivers.

A long time ago I read some funny article and here's quote "every hax0r have his own linux distribution. You make it by downloading one, changing every name and logo, burning it on several CDs and giving it away near church". That's the today's meaning of "distro". And this one is wrong.

Also, a pony distro would be great as a way to prank people. Slip in the CD when someone's not looking and POOF!!! Their whole computer is ponified. Or perhaps you have a friend who got a virus and asked you for help. What better way to promote ponies than to be able to tell your friend that it was the ponies that did the trick!

That's actually funny, but you can make it as true virus or more by making the person watch an episode.

Edited by lunaforevar

(edited)

Making a distro doesn't mean changing software and adding media to some other. This is just spin off/derivative from other. Making a true distro is tuning up kernel, recompiling, creating own installer, changing the way fs works (see /mnt and /media), changing shell, userland, providing own resources, repositories, drivers.

A long time ago I read some funny article and here's quote "every hax0r have his own linux distribution. You make it by downloading one, changing every name and logo, burning it on several CDs and giving it away near church". That's the today's meaning of "distro". And this one is wrong.

I don't know if I completely agree with that. For instance, my robotics system (which I admit, is a spinoff) does have a custom kernel. That said, it's still definitely a spinoff. I think it's virtually impossible to create a fine line where you can define something as a distro or not a distro, and it's a really case by case basis.

I've always taken "distro" to be a broader term and "spinoff"/"derivative" to be a more specific distinction showing which family a distro belongs to. (ie Ubuntu Studio)

That's actually funny, but you can make it as true virus or more by making the person watch an episode.

:D Yeah, I play a lot of pony pranks (ie one of my friend's Windows machines plays pony music in the background when he starts up certain applications.)

EDIT: oh, and when I said "ponies did the trick", I meant the ponies enabled you to remove the virus :)

Edited by kotakotakota

I don't know if I completely agree with that. For instance, my robotics system (which I admit, is a spinoff) does have a custom kernel. That said, it's still definitely a spinoff. I think it's virtually impossible to create a fine line where you can define something as a distro or not a distro, and it's a really case by case basis.

Ok, name it whatever you like ;3 I don't want to start quarell. (If we were arguing, then I'm so sorry :fluttershy::blush: )

:D Yeah, I play a lot of pony pranks (ie one of my friend's Windows machines plays pony music in the background when he starts up certain applications.)

You can use my ^_^ Luna's theme for XP if you want to make more pranks ;3 http://fav.me/d4zplab

Ok, name it whatever you like ;3 I don't want to start quarell. (If we were arguing, then I'm so sorry :fluttershy::blush: )

Haha sorry, I got a little bit over aggressive :) This is probably one of those things that will never be resolved, ie Linux vs GNU/Linux. :P As such, probably for the better that we don't start a flame war of sorts. ;)

You can use my ^_^ Luna's theme for XP if you want to make more pranks ;3 http://fav.me/d4zplab

!! That's excellent! Definitely will use to drive people crazy. :D

All of a sudden this seemed to get more popular, I'm releasing 1.0 as soon as I finish the build for it.

It's based off openSUSE 12.1 with a KDE desktop (I believe).

It includes GIMP for you artsy Ponies, Audacity for you audio-oriented Ponies, Flash player for everypony, Libreoffice for everypony, and a ton of other sweet pony stuff. It also includes a neat neon wallpaper for all of the Mane 6.

I don't get it...what does it do?

It's an operating system, like Windows and Mac, Aztec Pony runs all the programs you use.

It'd replace Windows, Mac, or Linux, unless you install it in a Virtual Machine.

I'm interested in this. I'm a Linux guy myself. If you want a tester before you put something in open release, I can help you with that.

It's based off of openSUSE 12.1, not sure bout the package manager, and KDE.

• Brohoof 1

All of a sudden this seemed to get more popular, I'm releasing 1.0 as soon as I finish the build for it.

It's based off openSUSE 12.1 with a KDE desktop (I believe).

It includes GIMP for you artsy Ponies, Audacity for you audio-oriented Ponies, Flash player for everypony, Libreoffice for everypony, and a ton of other sweet pony stuff. It also includes a neat neon wallpaper for all of the Mane 6.

It's an operating system, like Windows and Mac, Aztec Pony runs all the programs you use.

It'd replace Windows, Mac, or Linux, unless you install it in a Virtual Machine.

It's based off of openSUSE 12.1, not sure bout the package manager, and KDE.

I personally love openSUSE. It's one of the main Linux OSes I use (others are Arch and Gentoo, and Debian and CentOS for servers).

It uses RPM packages and either Yast or Zypper to install the packages.

Good choice with KDE ;)

Would it be too much to ask for some kind of bold, pre-installed link to MLP Forums? :D

^Considering how I'm a fan of Linux and might be trying out, I'd like that. Especially since I visit the forums so much.

But can I see some screenshots?

Would it be too much to ask for some kind of bold, pre-installed link to MLP Forums? :D

Sure! I'll see if I can do that. I can easily include the logo, and I'll attempt to add a SH script or something to the desktop.

I MAY possibly even be able to make it automatically open when you turn it on. Any way I could get this like advertised by you guys?

^Considering how I'm a fan of Linux and might be trying out, I'd like that. Especially since I visit the forums so much.

But can I see some screenshots?

I'll post a few screenshots once I release 1.0.0. I was planning on doing it yesterday, but my internet decided to cut out like 4 times (because of storms I think)

What is this Distro's Focus? Is it just another Distro dressed up with pony stuff (which is fine), or is there some other purpose for it?

It's a collection of Pony art, music, and Fanfics, an easier way to access your favorite Brony webcontent (MLP Forums, Equestria Daily, The Living Tombstone). It also includes tons of preloaded programs for making your Pony art and music!

I'll release 1.0.0 if I have time later today!

Sure! I'll see if I can do that. I can easily include the logo, and I'll attempt to add a SH script or something to the desktop.

I MAY possibly even be able to make it automatically open when you turn it on.

How about the web slice plasmoid for KDE? Having the site as a widget on the desktop would be really cool :)

How about the web slice plasmoid for KDE? Having the site as a widget on the desktop would be really cool :)

Honestly no idea how to do that. If you wanna be a part of the Aztec Pony team, add me on Skype, bgb-bible.

Sounds like a good idea, though.

Fff I love the feature that like merges new posts with your last post. This post itself is like 3 posts. xDDD

Sure; Skype me. bgb-bible, you can test the newest versions.

I don't think that creating a DE is the way to go. How many people do you think would seriously use a ponycentric DE? Sure, I'd use a pony themed Gnome Shell or a pony KDE, but not an entire DE, and not just because it's pony themed. I'd mostly be worried about its stability and feature set. Can the DE really compare to these mature systems like Gnome, KDE, or LXDE? I think one would be hard pressed to make it work.

You can make Ubuntu distros in SUSE?

Again, LUFF the combining posts. xDDD Up to like 5 seperate posts merged into one. xD

Honestly no idea how to do that. If you wanna be a part of the Aztec Pony team, add me on Skype, bgb-bible.

Sounds like a good idea, though.

Fff I love the feature that like merges new posts with your last post. This post itself is like 3 posts. xDDD

Sure; Skype me. bgb-bible, you can test the newest versions.

You can make Ubuntu distros in SUSE?

Again, LUFF the combining posts. xDDD Up to like 5 seperate posts merged into one. xD

I don't have a Skype account ;)

Also, that Ubuntu comment was a separate thought.

I don't have a Skype account ;)

Also, that Ubuntu comment was a separate thought.

Any way I could get ahold of you? Google Talk?

I'm a bit of a Linux Geek myself, and would LOVE to be one of the Testers, if that is possible!

Definately! (Can't spell today. xD)

The only way I can provide you with a testing link before it's available publicly is via Skype, Google Plus, or Google Talk. Which would work for you?

Nice avatar by the way.

Release 1.0.0 will be here soon, but this won't include the direct link to MLP Forums as I compiled it a few days ago.