Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Breakdown of MLP character creation/animation

Cobalt Phusion

So, based on my learnings (it's a word) from my animation class, this is the best I could formulate on how to make/animate (at an early level) a My Little Pony character. (I used my OC for sake of being lazy). Each part of the character is interchangeable with identical pieces with different purposes. IE a stationary leg vs. a walking loop leg set. A closed wing vs. a flapping wing. An open eye vs. a blinking eye and so on and so forth. IF and ONLY if people look at this and ask for more will I continue with these. Regardless of what happens, I'm starting the animation. Wish me luck everypony!
Here's the image of a brief breakdown.

Posted Image

http://cobaltphusion.deviantart.com/#/d57606g

• Brohoof 2

what kind of animation lessons do you receive, are you just starting?

in your profile says your only 16, are you receiving animation classes in high-school?

Why not? I'll be taking an automotive engines class as a high school senior this fall semester.

Why not what?

Why not receive animation classes in high school? It's a good idea if he wants to an animator!

Nice job, Cobalt! I really like it! It should come in hand for other animators here!

what kind of animation lessons do you receive, are you just starting?

in your profile says your only 16, are you receiving animation classes in high-school?

Well, since my school had extra funds they decided to take an extra hour for the CAD teachers for a 2D/3D animation course. It does help that we had one of the best CAD classes in Michigan. It was literally the FIRST year the class had been offered and next year they will be setting up for a CAD Animation 2. I'm looking forward to that as well.

In terms of the lessons we were given, a simple 5 minute speech, then a 5 minute demonstration were all the supplies given to us. We then had to complete assignments afterwards. So we pretty much taught ourselves whichever program we wanted. Seeing as MLP was animated in flash, I could not resist. :3

Why not receive animation classes in high school? It's a good idea if he wants to an animator!

Nice job, Cobalt! I really like it! It should come in hand for other animators here!

Do you think i'm against him receiving animation lessons? God no! of course not, i'm happy for him, I wish I had those classes when I was in high school, in fact, i'm jealous, because I regret not learning animation when I was youger, time is gold, just like Twilight said: "Time is ticking!"

post-5888-0-92033400-1342196126.gif

Well, since my school had extra funds they decided to take an extra hour for the CAD teachers for a 2D/3D animation course. It does help that we had one of the best CAD classes in Michigan. It was literally the FIRST year the class had been offered and next year they will be setting up for a CAD Animation 2. I'm looking forward to that as well.

In terms of the lessons we were given, a simple 5 minute speech, then a 5 minute demonstration were all the supplies given to us. We then had to complete assignments afterwards. So we pretty much taught ourselves whichever program we wanted. Seeing as MLP was animated in flash, I could not resist. :3

Great, you might want to put all your "puppet" pieces into graphic symbols because that way it would be easier for you to animate within the timeline. Use movieclips for filters, animations with actionscript or loops. You can't preview movieclips in your workarea, and thats a pain in the @$s.
  • Brohoof 2

So it looks like copying and pasting symbols then recoloring is the easiest way to duplicate and generate characters. Took me an hour for the first. 10 minutes for the second. This just got 20% simpler.

• 8 months later...

AH, and thus the jealousy has begun. Someone is already commenting on how it wasn't done correctly on my DA. XD

Him and his silly vectors. This is animation!

Well guess what, I too am jealous but I'm also 14, still in 8th grade! I'm starting some animation myself. I'm looking at some of the Double Rainboom puppets and using them first, then I'm going to make my own. You are taking a class, I'm teaching myself. I only need help on how to make a walk cycle.

You can try GMOD or SFM with the pony models to make your own MLP animation. Just create a steam account download either GMOD or SFM and your all set to go.

You are taking a class, I'm teaching myself.

I also teach myself and with tutorials I find on YouTube. I am going to make a GMOD video, called Ponies attack 2Fort. But what you are saying is good.

You can try GMOD or SFM with the pony models to make your own MLP animation. Just create a steam account download either GMOD or SFM and your all set to go.

I also teach myself and with tutorials I find on YouTube. I am going to make a GMOD video, called Ponies attack 2Fort. But what you are saying is good.

1. Do they have walk cycles? 2.Thanks, I'll check it out. 3. I hope to be the most famous pegasister by the time I'm done with collage. Maybe I'll even work at Hasbro and create some mlp episodes. 4. Of course, we all want to be famous don't we. 5. I'm also on FIMFiction if you want to read some of my stories. 6. I think that the first thing I'll ever do on youtube is sing the mlp songs, just because I'm bored. 7. I want to animate but I don't have any ideas! Help me!

...Anyway, thanks again.

1. Do they have walk cycles? 2.Thanks, I'll check it out. 3. I hope to be the most famous pegasister by the time I'm done with collage. Maybe I'll even work at Hasbro and create some mlp episodes. 4. Of course, we all want to be famous don't we. 5. I'm also on FIMFiction if you want to read some of my stories. 6. I think that the first thing I'll ever do on youtube is sing the mlp songs, just because I'm bored. 7. I want to animate but I don't have any ideas! Help me!

...Anyway, thanks again.

I did check it out, and it's not the kind I'm looking for. I mean like the shows' animation. I like the videos that other bronies made that have to do with the GMOD or SFM kind of animation. It's just not the kind I'm looking for. Thanks anyway.

Anypony else have an idea, or should I keep looking at the pony animation analysis videos to figure out animation? 

So, based on my learnings (it's a word) from my animation class, this is the best I could formulate on how to make/animate (at an early level) a My Little Pony character. (I used my OC for sake of being lazy). Each part of the character is interchangeable with identical pieces with different purposes. IE a stationary leg vs. a walking loop leg set. A closed wing vs. a flapping wing. An open eye vs. a blinking eye and so on and so forth. IF and ONLY if people look at this and ask for more will I continue with these. Regardless of what happens, I'm starting the animation. Wish me luck everypony!

Here's the image of a brief breakdown.

img-548856-1-the_works_of_mlp__to_my_bes

http://cobaltphusion.deviantart.com/#/d57606g

Did you draw this yourself? Impressive. What did you use? Photoshop? Paint? Something else? I want to try!

Yes, you can make walk cycles in both GMOD and SFM. But I most want to recommend you start from shorts to real long videos. Good luck :D

Yes, you can make walk cycles in both GMOD and SFM. But I most want to recommend you start from shorts to real long videos. Good luck biggrin.png

Well........I guess I could give it a try........sometime. But if there's anything else you want me to check out, please tell me. I'm looking at making my own pony puppets ans symbols, but if there's an easier way, please help me. Thanks.

• 6 months later...

I'm trying to see if there's a way to animate eyes without the need for multiple layers (1 for the eye ball, 1 for the iris and pupil, and 1 for the rest of the body with a hole for the eye) I mean there's got to be an easier way right?