Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why unicorns are the best.

I_wesley125

I don't see earth ponies as being the only one who can grow food. Anypony can plant a seed.

Whilst this is true, I doubt anypony could be as successful as the earth ponies. I bet earth ponies have far more skill in tending to the land than the other species, and can create vast amounts of food more efficiently and enough so to feed the two races, which is why they were farmers. If unicorns/pegasi tried, I'm sure they could do it, but it would be ineffective and they'd probably eventually die from hunger because they wouldn't make enough/of good quality.

Assume that science in Equestria advances to the point where you have cloning/genetic modification, etc.

If ponies could eventually genetically modify food in order to grow it quickly and reap large harvests, what would be the value of Earth ponies anymore?

At least with pegasi, weather control is still important, more so with unicorns, as the value of magic is obvious.

Maybe being a farmer works in that society, but we all know societies progress and evolve. One day in Equestria science will render Earth ponies obsolete.

With that being said, the value of magic in today's society (if it existed) would probably dwarf the value of flying. Communication is instantaneous anyway. Not saying that pegasi AREN'T important, but that unicorns are the most important of the three.

(Thank you, Civilization and AoE)

Assume that science in Equestria advances to the point where you have cloning/genetic modification, etc.

If ponies could eventually genetically modify food in order to grow it quickly and reap large harvests, what would be the value of Earth ponies anymore?

At least with pegasi, weather control is still important, more so with unicorns, as the value of magic is obvious.

Maybe being a farmer works in that society, but we all know societies progress and evolve. One day in Equestria science will render Earth ponies obsolete.

With that being said, the value of magic in today's society (if it existed) would probably dwarf the value of flying. Communication is instantaneous anyway. Not saying that pegasi AREN'T important, but that unicorns are the most important of the three.

(Thank you, Civilization and AoE)

If it did, I still think that the earth ponies would be handling the technology because they instinctively have better knowledge of plants and animals. Farming is not simple or easy. It's not just something anybody can do even with the best technology. You have to know how to use that technology. In today's society, though we don't see them, farmers are FAR from obsolete.There are still many out there growing crops and such. Without them, we would all be dead. It is the entire basis of a non-nomadic society.

Overall, earth ponies probably have a better understanding of advanced technological farming techniques in the first place and would probably be the ones to discover and utilize them in the first place, meaning they'd never become obsolete, really. Every species has its place. Equestria is designed for everypony to be equal, unlike in reality.

While it's true that farmers are not obsolete by any means, why would the farmers have to be EARTH ponies, specifically?

In today's society, we have the technology. We have the means in our hands to end world hunger.

We just don't, because of ethical issues. But that's another debate.

If technology becomes that powerful in Equestria, I don't see the value of why earth ponies, specifically, would be the farmers. Anypony could do it and reap a large harvest. In fact, it would make more sense for a pegasi to do it, since they could control the weather. Irrigation wouldn't matter, but crops don't survive blizzards :

Earth ponies would have nothing to contribute to society.

• 2 years later...