Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

[Fanfics] Uses of big time Background Characters?

Xievie

I asked in another thread something about fanfictions and background I was writing, and it led me to this.

I was wondering if anyone would mind listing all well known background characters and explaining how I could use them?

You know, personality, if they live with someone... just common things so that I can understand how I can work with writing using that character.

Not only background characters, but supporting characters help, too.

From Lyra to Mayor Mare to Derpy to Braeburn to even Big Macintosh.

All help appreciated.

There are some well-accepted notions about backgrounds characters, but really, nothing is set in stone. If you want to use background ponies in a fanfic, it's best if you ignore a lot of what other people think about the characters. Instead, you should work to really make them your own; an OC with a recognizable face. Don't ignore the show canon (what little of it there is for BG ponies), but don't restrict yourself to the same ideas other people have, or what you write might come across as redundant.

For example, Lyra doesn't have to be obsessed with humans. Octavia doesn't have to be related to Pinkie Pie. Bon Bon doesn't have to have a voice that changes every other day. You can use those fan-theories if you want, but you shouldn't include any feature just because you feel you have to in order for readers to like what you're writing.

I actually just finished the first storyline of a fanfiction that uses this exact idea. I grouped Lyra, Bon Bon, Derpy, Trixie, Vinyl, and Octavia all together in a new city (Las Pegasus), and the fun is in seeing them all bounce off one another. It's in the editing and proof-reading phase right now, and I hope to get it on EQD like my previous fanfiction.

Edited by Legendary Emerald