gaming World of Warcraft

Street Comedy

I don't think that spear has any early story. I mean, they did not mention a name, signalling that he is probably not very relevant.

Yeah, yeah I think so. If you theoretically somehow got a sword where the hilt is from the cross of jesus. I'd say that makes the sword an artifact. (bad example. xD)

I am joking you know? Sorry if you don't find it funny.

No but we are talking about mythical creatures and weapons. Newtons discovery of gravity(or the tree he slept under) is not really a myth with sacred powers or anything like that. The life tree however is.

You mean Ivaldi and his sons?

(Selective quoting is broken for me.)

It must have an earlier story otherwise Blizzard would not have used it. Give them some credit, just because we don't know what it's deal is yet doesn't mean they broke the concept. I already presented a possible character the spear is inherited from in the form of Huln Highmountain of the eagle spear tribe. And he fought in the War of the Ancients against the Burning Legion, if this is the case, the weapon HAS precedence in the lore and some pedigree when it comes to actually fighting the Legion itself.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

No that means an artifact is IN the sword, not that the sword itself is such. (And I think you mean a piece of wood from the true cross, not that the cross itself was made into a sword.) Besides, we aren't working with the typical meaning of the word anyway. In this context "artifact" means "weapon used by legendary figure." You could forge a shield from one of Deathwing's scales in the forge of Irongfore, but it doesn't count in this case.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

How Newton thought of his theory of gravity is just as much a myth as Icarus flying too close to the sun. It's an unsubstantiated story but everyone knows it and it has symbolic power. It's a myth. No "sacred power" how about being a turning point in how we perceive the universe and one of the building blocks of Einstein's theory of relativity?

Mythology is not restricted to pre-Enlightenment eras. Paul Bunyan, John Henry, the Jersey Devil are all mythological figures that originated in North America post colonization.

Joseph Campbell expounded on the power of myth, the collective narrative of humanity. We are not "just" talking about a video game, we are talking about ideals of our very existence told through the stories of centuries past that we are STILL telling today! Certainly the Gnomes and Goblins both have technology that puts them well past the level that the myths of the Aesir existed, yet they themselves are mythic figures, having a common origin in both dwarves, gremlins, and other little people with a knack for craft wondrous tools. 

See what I mean? Myth resulting in high science.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ 

Yes, my personal favorite creation of theirs being Skidbladnir, the fold up ship. (Why haven't I see THAT in a video game yet!?)

I get where you're coming from, but let's not use an example like that again.  lD

Why not? I've already used the Spear of Longinus twice as an example you didn't say anything to that.

haha okay. xD

Onto something else. Have anyone of you guys played hearthstone?

Awwwww do we really have to stop talking about this?!

Edited by Steel Accord

@@Akari of Duskshire,

Well you don't need to worry about offending my sensibilities or anything. Just because I practice doesn't mean I exempt the Bible as an example of "mythology." I mean I just went on a rant about how Isaac Newton, a real person, is featured in his own myth you think I'm going to bite someone's head off about Jesus being a mythic figure just because I worship Him?

Hell, even in Warcraft, they use heavily Christian inspired iconography. The Church of the Holy Light, priest armor and abilities, the Knights of the Silver Hand and the Scarlet Crusade both have heavy inspiration from the Knights Templar, the Teutonic Knights, and the Knights Hospitaller most heavily. (What with the emphasis on healing as much as fighting.) 

Edited by Steel Accord

Awwwww do we really have to stop talking about this?!

I thought I angered somone so... Nvm.

Jesus being a mythic figure just because I worship Him?

Many sources say that he was a real person, but actions myths. Kinda like Newton and his apple story.

However the tree is not said to have any special powers or anything. But yes the story counts as a myth.

Paul Bunyan, John Henry, the Jersey Devil are all mythological figures that originated in North America post colonization.
  I never said that myths have stopped coming.
  • Brohoof 1

@, @@Akari of Duskshire,  

Anyway, of the artifact weapons already revealed, are there any you guys like?

The protection warrior one sounds amazing. A SHIELD OF DEATHWINGS SCALES, WHERE DO I SIGN UP?

Maw of the damned. THAT IS A FITTING WEAPON FOR AN ABSOLUTE BEAST and it fits the style of the class.

And sheilun, it just fits mistweaver moks. I mean look at it. Soo jade and pretty. :3

• Brohoof 2

The protection warrior one sounds amazing. A SHIELD OF DEATHWINGS SCALES, WHERE DO I SIGN UP?

Maw of the damned. THAT IS A FITTING WEAPON FOR AN ABSOLUTE BEAST and it fits the style of the class.

And sheilun, it just fits mistweaver moks. I mean look at it. Soo jade and pretty. :3

Where did you hear about the shield thing? I have not seen that. As a monk though, I look forward to using a weapon owned by the Emperor himself.

Where did you hear about the shield thing? I have not seen that. As a monk though, I look forward to using a weapon owned by the Emperor himself.

Wow, suddenly I'm the envy of the thread.  ^_^

• Brohoof 1

Where did you hear about the shield thing?

Blizzard said it themselves once. It was owned by an ancient vrykul king and we will get it from his grave.

I WILL LEVEL UP A WARRIOR JUST TO GET IT. I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. I NEED THAT SHIELD IN MY LIFE!

ITS ALSO PIRATES DAY TODAY.

I was gone the last time, but my hunter would make a great pirate this year. :3

Edited by A Cat
  • Brohoof 1

Blizzard said it themselves once. It was owned by an ancient vrykul king and we will get it from his grave.

I WILL LEVEL UP A WARRIOR JUST TO GET IT. I DON'T CARE ANYMORE. I NEED THAT SHIELD IN MY LIFE!

ITS ALSO PIRATES DAY TODAY.

I was gone the last time, but my hunter would make a great pirate this year. :3

Can I . . . have a source maybe? Like a Blizzcon thing or an article, or something beyond your word?

@,@@Steel Accord,

You know, I never considered something.  Perhaps these weapons will be wielded by heroes who aren't established yet, but WILL be in Legion?

That kind of would be difficult to pull off as the only heroes that would fit into that category would be us, and all the other artifacts thus far have been used in the lore. Doomhammer-Thrall, Frostmourne-The Lich King, Ashbringer-Tiron, Sheilun-Shahao.

@@Steel Accord,

The heroes don't consist of only us.  There will surely be heroes we will encounter on the Broken Isles that haven't appeared thus far.  I mean, if memory serves, the Vrykul will be coming back and I just saw a video that says that Protection warriors will get the weapons of a Vrykul king (who I now think might've been a dragonsworn of the black dragonflight before their descent into depravity).

Edited by Akari of Duskshire
  • Brohoof 2

@@Steel Accord,

...Good point.  I'm just thinking that we're going to find out about some ancient heroes that never APPEARED until now.

strongly doubt that we will get artifact weapons from characters that never existed. In fact I'm willing to bet money no artifact weapon will come from a Legion created character. Huln is pretty obscure, but he did exist. Which shows that Blizzard may have to dig in their archives, but the artifact owners WILL come from the existing lore.

• Brohoof 2

I love Brewfest! :wub: though in the past few years, it seems to have lost it's touch. You've got Alcoholic-Free Beverages instead of Brewfest Samplers. You don't drink the beverages to get "Strange Brew", and you need the goggles for "Drunken Stupor", which is now called "Almost Blind Luck", which to me...just kinda ruins the whole aspect of the event. :huh:

The Sausage Grill you can get for 200 tokens, is just a small campfire toy, but...it's actually REALLY small. I mean, it's smaller than the little wickerman toy, you can get during Hallows End. :wat: I always thought it would be like a bbq item, that your group can get Brewfest sausages from, but it just raises spirit by about 40 points, and allows you and anyone else to cook on it.

Honestly, I got it without realizing it, but c'est la vie. I'm working on getting tokens for my Brew of the Month membership now.

I strongly doubt that we will get artifact weapons from characters that never existed. In fact I'm willing to bet money no artifact weapon will come from a Legion created character. Huln is pretty obscure, but he did exist. Which shows that Blizzard may have to dig in their archives, but the artifact owners WILL come from the existing lore.

I feel like the whole "Artifact Weapons" could end up like Karabor/Bladespire, and around July 3rd of next year, we'll learn either via Twitter, or a 3rd party website, that they never intended to put it in, and instead, we're getting Facebook/Instagram interfaces into WoW.

Edited by Avalionis

@@Avalionis,

I don't really understand Brewfest (I did get an adorable pet out of it though :wub: ).  Mind telling me why you like it? 

Hmm...maybe it's the virtual aspect of brews. I could never drink the stuff for real, so being able to get virtual drunk, and not suffer virtual hangovers, let alone the real mccoys, is nice.

Plus trying to fly while drunk or completely smashed is always good for a laugh. :lol:

My Human Death Knight in Brewfest garb, completely smashed and dancing in Dalaran's Beer Garder. Oh my...:lol: That was just so hysterical.