Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Tom

I've noticed a flaw with the mention button. Currently it pastes this into a post:

[b]@[member='<member's name>'][/b],
e.g. [b]@[member='Princess Mi Amore Cadenza'][/b], (My old display name)

Which is dependent on the user's display name.

So that means if the user changes his/her display name only this will be shown:

[b]@[/b],

One way I can think of fixing this issue is to use this instead:

[b]@[url="http-~~-//www.mlpforums.com/user/<member's page>"]<member's name>[/url][/b],
e.g. [b]@[url="http-~~-//www.mlpforums.com/user/1046-"]Princess Mi Amore Cadenza[/url][/b], (the dash is required)

The above will always work. (I think)

And the example will produce a link to my page.

proof: @Princess Mi Amore Cadenza,

If any staff, or member has the time it may be worthwhile trying to alter the functionality of the Mention button.

Edited by Tom
  • Brohoof 4

Pretty great idea. It doesn't sound too hard (but what do I know?) and while it's a small improvement, it's an improvement nonetheless. Though, one has to ask, does it even matter? A mention is supposed to inform the mentioned member. And after the member sees it (they'll get a notification), he'll know he's been mentioned. Really, there's no need for this.

Then again, it certainly doesn't hurt. So I say go for it.

• Brohoof 1

There's a long and tedious list of things the Tech Admins have been working on, so while I can't speak for them and don't intend to, I don't see this as a priority, seeing as the Mention system itself works fluently. But, an interesting suggestion.

• Brohoof 3

• 4 weeks later...

If any staff, or member has the time it may be worthwhile trying to alter the functionality of the Mention button.

I will definitely look into this… Consider it added to my growing to-do list.

I have a three-day weekend coming up… This will probably be one of the things that I mop up during that time period.

Yes, this is actually a fantastic idea. You know, I'll be honest, I was actually thinking about some significantly more complex fixes for the mysterious disappearing mentions. But this idea is much easier for me to put together and still accomplishes the same effect.

The only possible problem that I can see is the fact that this mention hook will probably have to be recoded specifically for this site. If it weren't for that, then I would probably be able to do this significantly more quickly.

Discord is right though. (Wow that sounds strange to type. Our to do list is actually quite remarkably long, so no promises on exactly when it will be done… But most likely it will happen soonish.)

Edited by Scootacool
  • Brohoof 3

Since I'm on an iPad and I have to type out the code, it'll be a bit harder for me, but I guess it's better for the people who actually have computers.

Anyway, I'm still kinda waiting on those posting options for iPad...

@

Edited by Feld0's Overlord
  • Brohoof 1