The Rising Tide (Of Changes)

Aureity

Hi, guys!

I've cleaned it up by now, but I'm pretty sure a lot of the roleplayers here saw the mess Scoots and I left behind just a little while ago.

...oh, you didn't? Good. The evidence is destroyed.

But there's a reason for our dark-hearted sabotage, err, I mean, testing. I swear. Look, I'm sure you all remember that little thread a while back, A Preview Of Things To Come, right? Promising that someday, we'd get a few neat features for Roleplay World? Well, that day has come. Today, all you RPers will enjoy a few nifty little accessories that should hopefully make your roleplays a bit more immersive and enjoyable for everyone involved. I'll get to what Scoots (give him the credit for doing, well, basically everything) came up with in a moment, but I'd first like to lay out what isn't going to happen. Namely, custom character minimums.

I'm sorry. I know you guys have probably looked forward to that one addition a lot, maybe more than any other addition RP World now boasts, but...it just wasn't feasible to implement it. Scoots is but a mere mortal (amazingly enough), and he has the accursed obstacle known as life to deal with. Him doing what he did, staying up late frequently just to get this done, is a truly commendable effort. It simply isn't fair to ask him to toss away more of his precious time to undergo yet another coding effort that, quite frankly, would have been harder than all the previous ones combined. I'm sorry if I've let you down, but...it's just not possible.

Cheer up. There's still a few goodies left that you all should like.

Posting limit. Tired of waking up to four hundred new pages of roleplay while you were asleep? A posting limit will solve that issue, and help to encourage everyone to stay in the roleplay, by not forcing them to lag too far behind. This idea, which can be toggled by the RP creator, hasn't been implemented just yet, but rest assured – it's on the to-do list and should roll off the production line sometime soon.

Custom Name and Picture. So that guy over there's roleplaying as Rainbow Dash, eh? Pity, it would be a lot more, well, realistic if his name wasn't “GenericBrony42156” and his avatar wasn't one of a flower. Fear not, a new addition to Roleplay World will allow the RP creator to toggle the roleplayers' usernames to match their OCs, and even replace their avatar with their OC's picture. Heck, even the custom titles are changeable! Be warned – this might be a bit...cryptic for the roleplay creator, since they're the ones who have to sort this all out. Instructions for implementation are listed below, but always feel free to open a support ticket if you need a bit of help.

Links. Fully customizable links for each character that will appear at the bottom of each roleplayer's post. Anything from their biography to Rick Astley – it's up to you what you want to link. (Long as it's within bounds of forum rules, of course.)

And a little sneak peak for all of you D&Ders. Ever wish you could keep track of hitpoints, inventory, roll dice, yada, yada yada, right in the roleplay thread? Without having to retype it up every time?

Heh. I've said too much already. Don't get your hopes up. ;)

Syntax:

And now, the ugly part of this all. While I'm sure you guys want to eagerly use these new features...how exactly do you do it? Assuming you're the roleplay's creator...

1) Create your roleplay.

2) When you go back to edit the roleplay, use the full editor. Find the “Add character box...”

Posted Image

3) Scroll to the END of your post. And make a spoiler. (It's [*spoiler] text [*/spoiler], minus the *s)

4) Add the character sheets (Example, http://mlpforums.com...ora-flare-r1347) to the box one at a time. Remember to delete each URL before submitting the next one, since the box doesn't erase them by itself.

5) You should get some random-look stuff at the end of your post. If it's not in the spoiler, copy-paste it inside. All of the syntax HAS to be in the spoiler, which also has to be the LAST spoiler in your post, assuming you have multiple spoilers.

6) Important: Place this as the first line in the spoiler: ;;RPCode. Now, remember to put “;;” before every single new line. This is a newline indicator. AKA don't do it and the whole thing screws up.

7) Your spoiler should now look something like this:

Posted Image

Wrong. What did I forget? The “;;” before “Character”. REMEMBER TO DO THIS. ALWAYS. I guarantee forgetting is going to be the #1 reason something doesn't work.

8) To add a custom title, add whatever syntax you wish the title to be AFTER the word “Character”, but before the “-”. Therefore, instead of:

;;Character - Aurora Flare - Aureity -

It should look like this:

;;Character The Starlight Sentinel - Aurora Flare - Aureity -

9) To add a picture, simply drag the desired picture into place after the last “-”, and viola! Your avatar will have changed.

Posted Image

Sorry about the low-quality picture...I'm not very good at art. :blush:

10) Press Enter a couple of times for new lines, then repeat the process for a different character.

11) You're done! That wasn't too bad, was it? :3 If you want to add links, adding “;;ExtraLink - (link)” as the last line should do it.

All I can say is, if you're the roleplay creator, good luck and have fun. ^_^ But it's really not as bad as you think it is, once you get used to it. Don't forget that you can always ask for help if you need it.

What If I'm Roleplaying as a Canon Character/other OC without a bio?

If you're roleplaying as a non-OC pony, such as Rainbow Dash, link to one of your OCs, and simply change the name to match whatever character you're playing. For example:

;;Character - Aurora Flare - Aureity -

becomes...

;;Character - Rainbow Dash - Aureity -

Notice, however, that it still links to Aurora Flare's profile. You need that link to an OC you made, or else bad things happen X_x

Stay creative, my friends. ;)

• Brohoof 26

Well it took me about half an hour to add the custom display names and avatars so it's not that time consuming. Also I was really slow doing it.

Dude! You actually already added everything in?! You know, I think that you are the first person besides me and Aureity to actually do that. Aur doesn't count because he runs the place (RP World). I don't count because I did the programming. So, that means that you are the legit first one to implement the new changes. YAY! I am so **HAPPY** to see this out in the wild!! :D :D

For the curious, here is the RP game that I actually implemented some code in. If you scroll down to the bottom and click into the spoiler, then you can see how I did it. As Lightning said, it really isn't that hard to do it all and it adds a lot to your RP experience.

• Brohoof 6

WOW, that is a lot of info.....

Out of curiosity, where character limits removed from OOCs? I dont see them there anymore.

Anywho, I hope that this makes the RP world even more fun :) is there a chance in the future that this whole thing will be a bit more simple?

• Brohoof 1

Wow. This, this is amazing! You guys did an amazing job setting this up! I imagine the system for roleplay owners might be confusing for some people, but I understand it well. I can't wait to see this get implemented!

I also had fun posting that load of spam you asked me to do into the test thread.

• Brohoof 1

is there a chance in the future that this whole thing will be a bit more simple?

Yes, there is a very good chance of that! Actually, I'm looking into how a very easy to use editor can be created. It looks like it's actually going to be an insane amount of work to pull off, so this will probably take some time. The end result will definitely be worth it though!

• Brohoof 1

Can't say that I roleplay frequently enough to be on top of updates to Roleplay World, but it's great to see new features being implemented in it. Tackling the issues of that section with technical and social solutions sounds great, and I can't wait to see how it turns out, and to try these for myself whenever I next start a roleplay that I'll never finish </3

• Brohoof 1

I just woken up? Perfect time to try and change my name in a role play!

Also thanks scootaloo for putting all the hard work and time you put into making this.

Also looking forward to more change in the future! ^_^

I did it... achievement get! Once you've done it once it's not so hard! ^_^

Edited by Midnightive

I just woken up? Perfect time to try and change my name in a role play!

Also thanks scootaloo for putting all the hard work and time you put into making this.

Also looking forward to more change in the future! ^_^

I did it... achievement get! Once you've done it once it's not so hard! ^_^

LOL I was just in our digimon RP and I saw your name change. I didn't think anything of it but now I see all these changes!?

Oh man, this is alot to add on. I guess I'll be trying to figure it out for my RP. One question isnt this a bit of work for someone starting a rp with say twenty people in it? Plus changing names and avis and member titles just seems a bit crazy. I guess it will be alot more simple once I actually use them. Also I could rather use that D&D thing you mentioned in my pokemon RP, heheh...

• Brohoof 2

Love the new RPG feature. Sounds so cool! :) It'll be great for RPG people. It might even increase the amount of activeness in the roleplaying forums. :D

I also like the new rule on the posting limit as well. As usual, very well thought out! Reading this makes me want to RP......anyways, good job! *Claps* RPGing is now more fun, and exciting!!! Can't wait to see how members make use of these. Hope to see more updates! :)

• 4 weeks later...