Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Canterlot College : Dorm Life

Shankveld

"Off the record. Sorry, I'm geared toward a difference audience. I promise," he said, putting his legal pad down. He crossed his arms and nodded, symbolizing he was ready to listen to what the other pony had to say. He had the feeling it was going to be unpleasant. He'd also just promised something, which meat he'd follow through. Of course, Nightfall didn't know that...

"Right, so... I went to talk to Obsidian, and when I mentioned I hadn't used protection, she... she kinda did this to me. She used her frost magic to freeze my wing, and then she broke it as she threw me out of the third story window. Now I'm here. You can't tell anyone, because later I want her safe. Only later did she tell me I was her brother, and that night Luna came to me to tell me to keep from doing anything out of the blue like that again."

He sighed.

"That's basically it. Obsidian left, maybe forever, today, and Vinyl's off to find her. Everyone else I didn't know too well, so now I'm friendless and stuck here for many, many months."

"Mmm, well, I guess your life got a little better. You're not friendless. Now, I'm not gunna say that this isn't one messed up peice of work," he says, tapping his pad, "But it's like the most obscure soap opera script I've ever read. And you know what happens in soap operas? It get's better. Heck, life's tough. That's true, and it tends to throw curve balls. But anypony who decides to actually talk to me after a curve ball to the gut is a pony I wanna know," he sighs. "Of course, you probably don't consider me a friend, more like an annoying fly, but I'll listen just the same. This," he says, ripping out the pages of his legal pad, "Is not a story I would write. I didn't think it would be, but writing things down hels me organize my thoughts better. Now, of your numerous problems, which one do you think is your biggest?" Dawn asks, looking at the ripped out pages and pacing.

• Brohoof 1

"Mmm, well, I guess your life got a little better. You're not friendless. Now, I'm not gunna say that this isn't one messed up peice of work," he says, tapping his pad, "But it's like the most obscure soap opera script I've ever read. And you know what happens in soap operas? It get's better. Heck, life's tough. That's true, and it tends to throw curve balls. But anypony who decides to actually talk to me after a curve ball to the gut is a pony I wanna know," he sighs. "Of course, you probably don't consider me a friend, more like an annoying fly, but I'll listen just the same. This," he says, ripping out the pages of his legal pad, "Is not a story I would write. I didn't think it would be, but writing things down hels me organize my thoughts better. Now, of your numerous problems, which one do you think is your biggest?" Dawn asks, looking at the ripped out pages and pacing.

"Good. He's not taking any of it for the public. I'd hunt him down if he did..."

"My current problem. The one starting with some punch and ending with a severe punch to the gut. And even if things get better, I doubt I will. It's hardened me, but also put me back into a shell, you know?"

Dawn sighed, "I know. I'm not exactly an outgoing pony, believe it or not. It's much easier to talk to, well, no offense, but... Somepony in your condition. As for your problem, that's a pretty big one. You apologize yet?" Dawn looked out the window to watch the sky, writing silly little phrases down on his legal pad.

• Brohoof 1

Whirlwind and the rest of the flight crew took a brake on the clouds that were now pouring rain onto the college and parts of canterlot.

"not bad slacker, you cleaned those clouds up good, me and rest of the crew are gonna go grab a drink at a bars near the edge of the city, you interested  i'm sure you'll pick up a mare.... that love a stallion in uniform" said Charging Star with a cheerful smile.

Whirlwind got up "sure I'll go hangs out with you guys... but i don't drink, and i kinda have a special some pony (kinda) already" he said as he flapped his wings and left his cloud.   

the mare laughed "fine slacker..... such a let down, you can come and watch me drink the young bucks under the table"

the group then flew to the outskirts of canterlot to look for a pub to hang out in

Edited by PonyEcho

Dawn sighed, "I know. I'm not exactly an outgoing pony, believe it or not. It's much easier to talk to, well, no offense, but... Somepony in your condition. As for your problem, that's a pretty big one. You apologize yet?" Dawn looked out the window to watch the sky, writing silly little phrases down on his legal pad.

"I get that. Get them while they're immobile."

He laughed bitterly.

"I did apologize. And we're on much better terms, but that doesn't stop me from feeling like a big pile of crap. And she's gone, for all I know. I sucks knowing how bad this was and could be, and not being able to do much about it."

"Mmm, you know... I don't know you very well, but you seem like the kind of stallion that would feel better if he were on his feet looking for her. Can you walk at all?" he asked, still looking out the window. The chances of finding this mare are slim, but if we did, just say we did, it would make him really, really happy. Not to mention the fact that simply walking would probably bring his spirits up. Maybe I could look through the libraries for a spell for his condition, make him cast it on himself. I can do reaserch after all. Something I'm good at. Not that he wants my help...

• Brohoof 1

"Mmm, you know... I don't know you very well, but you seem like the kind of stallion that would feel better if he were on his feet looking for her. Can you walk at all?" he asked, still looking out the window. The chances of finding this mare are slim, but if we did, just say we did, it would make him really, really happy. Not to mention the fact that simply walking would probably bring his spirits up. Maybe I could look through the libraries for a spell for his condition, make him cast it on himself. I can do reaserch after all. Something I'm good at. Not that he wants my help...

"Walk? Walk? Are you really kidding me? Here I am in a full body cast, unable to even move my head, and you ask me if I can walk?"

He said all of this with bitter sorrow and full contempt.

"I would love to look for her, but if I can't leave without making the staff here twitchy and can't even walk, let alone get out with any of the machines here, there's no way I can look for her."

He sighed.

"You could check all the local bars if you want to find her."

"... I don't know what she looks like. I couldn't tell you how to get back to the dorms," he sighed, "And sorry, I don't see very well without my contacts in. I just thought you were white," he adds,taking out a pair of glasses. He put them on; they were thin, brown, wire-framed glasses. He nods, "How heavy are you?"

• Brohoof 1

"... I don't know what she looks like. I couldn't tell you how to get back to the dorms," he sighed, "And sorry, I don't see very well without my contacts in. I just thought you were white," he adds,taking out a pair of glasses. He put them on; they were thin, brown, wire-framed glasses. He nods, "How heavy are you?"

"Oh, I don't know. Whatever my file says plus, maybe... forty pounds? And you'd have to take at least the IV stuck in my forehoof. That would make things look suspicious going out of the hospital. I can try to tell you what she looks like. Then,l if you can find her, she can talk to you. If you can find my saddlebag in here somewhere, there is a map... maybe even a pic of Obsidian..."

He darted across the room, into the closet, and came back with a bag in his mouth. Finally, a purpose. "Ish thish it?" he asked around the strap, ready to go back into the closet. He wanted to help this pony, and not because he was an alicorn. C-can I have friends here? Is it possible anypony else likes Caves and Liches? Or maybe... Bunnymon. Or maybe... My Little Humans? Or is willing to tolerate it?

• Brohoof 1

He darted across the room, into the closet, and came back with a bag in his mouth. Finally, a purpose. "Ish thish it?" he asked around the strap, ready to go back into the closet. He wanted to help this pony, and not because he was an alicorn. C-can I have friends here? Is it possible anypony else likes Caves and Liches? Or maybe... Bunnymon. Or maybe... My Little Humans? Or is willing to tolerate it?

Nightfall leaned up, painfully.

"Yup. That's it. You gotta remember, though. You can't tell her, or anyone, that we had a lot of this conversation, ok? And if you do find her, all I want is for her to come back so I can formally apologize and maybe even make farewells..."

"It'll be hard to explain, should I find her. What should I say, without letting on that I know? I'm not exactly smooth whenit comes to mares," he adds, digging through the bag. He got the map, and a couple pictures, spreading them out so Nightfall could tell him which one was the right mare.

• Brohoof 1

"It'll be hard to explain, should I find her. What should I say, without letting on that I know? I'm not exactly smooth whenit comes to mares," he adds, digging through the bag. He got the map, and a couple pictures, spreading them out so Nightfall could tell him which one was the right mare.

"Yeah, as I thought. No pics of her, exactly... Except... there. in the background of the right hand pic. White coat, blue/white mane, grey horn, different colored wings. That's her."

He laid back down, moaning a little in pain.

"Just tell her Nightfall sent for her. If she asks why, let her know that it's to make formal apologies... and to say good bye, should she really leave forever..."

Dawn nods, and takes the picture gently, taking out an actual notebook and slipping the picture in the color. White alicorn, grey horn, mismatched wings. Blue mane. Got it. He looked at him, and sighed. "Can you read in your current condition?" he asked the alicorn, sitting back on his hooves.

• Brohoof 1

Dawn nods, and takes the picture gently, taking out an actual notebook and slipping the picture in the color. White alicorn, grey horn, mismatched wings. Blue mane. Got it. He looked at him, and sighed. "Can you read in your current condition?" he asked the alicorn, sitting back on his hooves.

"Well, yeah, if you can get it to where I can see without sitting up and stuff."

He laughed bitterly.

"If I sit up, I hurt. If I move, I hurt. Better get a nurse or someone in here to help me read if you want me to end up reading, cause I can't do it alone."

He sighed, wondering if Dawnpath would succeed.

"... That still works, right?" he asks, pointing at the fallen alicorn's horn. He dug through his bag and frowned at his selection. They were all adventure books... Not really something this particular alicorn could go for. Except one in the bottom, which was called 'The Secret Sects of the Night.' It was supposed to be about early pony religion, and how there were more than a few based on the night time. He grabbed it and set it on the table.

• Brohoof 1

"... That still works, right?" he asks, pointing at the fallen alicorn's horn. He dug through his bag and frowned at his selection. They were all adventure books... Not really something this particular alicorn could go for. Except one in the bottom, which was called 'The Secret Sects of the Night.' It was supposed to be about early pony religion, and how there were more than a few based on the night time. He grabbed it and set it on the table.

"Yeah, my horn works, but with the concussion I received, I use it, my head hurts pretty badly. So technically, no, I can't."

He sighed bitterly.

"If you're gonna find her, better do it before night. After night falls... I don't know where she'll be. I've got a hunch she may be in a bar... But I've also got a hunch she'll be somewhere else."

"I'll check the bar first. Tell me where the somewhere else is?" he asks, putting the book on his bedside table, instead of the visiting one. He wished he could give the alicorn- Nightfall, something electronic, like a TV, but he had nothing to give. He was saddened by the thought, but focused on Nightfall.

• Brohoof 1

"I'll check the bar first. Tell me where the somewhere else is?" he asks, putting the book on his bedside table, instead of the visiting one. He wished he could give the alicorn- Nightfall, something electronic, like a TV, but he had nothing to give. He was saddened by the thought, but focused on Nightfall.

"I don't, know, ok!"

He practically yelled it.

"I don't know..."

His voice calmed down, and a few tears rolled down his cheek.

"She may be gone, out of reach forever. I honestly have no idea where she went, and may never know... you better go soon so that you can find her, if you can find her..."

He looked him in the eyes, "If I can find her, I will." He said it with conviction, putting on his journalist hat and exiting the room, while pushing the button for nurse assistance. He walked down the stairs while one of the nurses went up, and tried his best to look sad. "Ma'am, could you tell me where the nearest bar is?" he asked a mare. He got his answer, and walked towards it as quickly as possible.

Vinyl recovered from the collision and brushed herself off. "Oh, i-it's nothing. Don't worry about it." She looked and sounded lost. Maybe not physically, but mentally. She was still in disbelief from Obsidian's leaving. She didn't know where to look or who to turn to anymore

Dogboots soon recognized who he had bumped into. It was Vinyl Blade that was standing in front of him. The stallion spotted Vinyl's suitcase. "She leaving somewhere? Probably to find Obsidian. It's strange that up until now that I hadn't realized how close her and Obsidian were." He thought to himself before getting back up and dusting himself off. "I'm guessing from that suitcase your lugging around, your looking for Obsidian? Do me a favor. If you find her just tell her I said, "thanks" for what she did for me. Anyways I got to get going. Good luck finding Obsidian." He said to the mare.

Whirlwind and the rest of the team flew over to the outskirts of canterlot to look for a nice cozy bar to nest in, after the found one i wasn't look before some of them...... actually most of them were drunk.

Thunderlane and Razorwing were flirting with some mares over by the music box everypony else were trying to come up with drinking games. "comon Whirling.... quit sipping that water and have a bear" said Flash as he rested his head on the table "ugh i feel so light headed" he moaned and Chargingstar downed what seemed to be her 4th pint.  

"who'd a thought you guys would be such light weight" said Whirlwind cheerfully as he finished his glass of water

"pretty rich coming from a Pegasus holding a glass a water, why don't you drink.... you got some moral highground to hold or are you just a sissy?" asked Star as she fell back on her chair more sober then the rest of the crew.

"use to drink, now i don't" replied Whirlwind while star looked like she wanted to slap him with her wing, "cheap answer slacker, give me a real answer" said star "hey how about we go head to another bar this one is starting to get filled" Charging star then got up and grabed her bag while everyone else oddly followed even Thunderlane who look liked he pulled left with us too. 

Edited by PonyEcho

• 1 month later...

6 years later…

Early sun set across the far horizon, leaving a soft and warm glow across the land. Throughout Ponyville a sense of peace and calm settled across the usually bustling town. It was a pleasant change, even if it would only last till morning. Trotting through the street was a very familiar stallion, his coat a sandy white and his mane a faded blue, a worn brown scarf rapped around his neck in a rather crude fashion. A smile crept onto his face as the warm rays drifted down on his fur, a pleasant chill running up his spine. The day was drawing to its close and Star Keeper was enjoying the last of it.

He soon found himself by the Town Hall on the way home, not really following any route. What did manage to catch his eyes was the stallion locking up the doors behind him. The scruffy uniform and tan coat gave him away almost instantly, somepony Star couldn’t ignore.

“Hey Dogboots.” The gruff stallion turned his head, not sure whether to be slightly worried or relieved. “It’s been a while.”

“Yeah, I-  guess it has. Six years in fact.” He hadn’t changed much from when he last saw him, same unkempt appearance and weathered outfit. “How’ve you been?”

“Not bad I guess, life as normal. Well not really, but you get the idea.” Star tried to keep the conversation as neutral as he could, hoping not to bring up any less than fond memories. “But it doesn’t really matter. How’s life been treating you? Family life keeping you down?”

“Nah.” He couldn’t help but chuckle at the suggestion. “Well, I did have to find a more… family friendly home. Aside from that I’m happy as it is, maybe more well off.”

“Wish I could say the same. I’m in Ponyville under contract for now, just general maintenance of this old place for a while, then I’m off back to Canterlot till I find more work. Is Rockshire doing well since you guys left?”

Star was a bit reluctant to respond, but thought it would be rude to simply ignore his question. He had a right to know after all. “She’s…  been doing well. I’ve been doing my part so she can keep up with her art career. She did get a major feature in the Canterlot Museum recently, which she was ecstatic about. Wouldn’t stop talking about it. So yeah, I’d say she’s happy. How about you, have you found somepony?”

Dogboots smirked a bit, almost masking his reaction. “Nah, I’m not getting my hopes up over nothing just yet. I don’t have much of a chance right now”

“I’m sure there’s somepony waiting for you, you’ll see. I know that what happened back then was rather rough, but I think we all came out the better despite. We all came out a bit stronger.”

He didn’t seem totally convinced, but he appreciated the thought. “In a way I guess. But have you heard anything about the others? What happened to Draco and Ice Beam?”

Star Keeper seemed to pick up a bit at the mention of his old roommates name. “Ice Beam? Yeah I’ve seen him recently. Him and Lovely went on holiday to the coast recently, stopping off in Manehattan. I caught them at the train station.” It was hard not to chuckle at Ice’s good fortune. “As for Draco, I believe he got arrested a couple of times for general tomfoolery, last I knew he was in Manehattan. Other than that I don’t know.”

“Well, I’m guessing you heard about Eris?”

“Yeah, I did. I knew about that thing for a while, never really thought it would work. You got the guy disinherited for cry’s sake.” What started as a light chuckle soon turned into full scale laughter.

“I know, it was a dumb idea. But the guy had it coming in the end. I’m sure lovely and Cherished will be able to live without him for a while. Speaking of Cherished, you hear about the recent engagement?”

“No! Really? Her and…  Parso? Ha, didn’t’ see that in her. Well I’m glad for them, even if she did nearly kill me a couple of times.”

“Fond memories?”

“Wouldn’t trade them for the world.”

The weathered stallion looked to the watch strapped around his hoof, realizing the time it was. “Well, I have to get going now. You probably have a family to go and check up on, so don’t let me hold you up, okay.”

“Will do. I hope you have a good evening.” They shook hooves for what may be the last time in a while, kind of holding it there for a few seconds. “I hope you find everything you’re looking for. If any pony deserves it, it’s you.”

“I sure do hope so as well. Bye old friend.”

The term “old friend” felt so warm and comfortable as it continued to float around Star’s head. “I’ll be seeing you soon mate.”

They parted ways one last time, Dogboots heading back to his hotel room and Star to his home. Dogboots took one last look over his shoulder as Star trotted out of sight. He should feel envy, he should be jealous, but all he could really feel was happy for him. There was no way he could hold any past sin. Star had found his future a little bit sooner, but Dogboots’s still out there waiting for him.

Star Keeper slowly creaked open the door to his house, taking a quick peak before stepping inside. The warm fire was crackling away in the dining room, filing the room with a pleasant glow. Shutting the door behind him his presence was given away, a small filly bolting around the corner and launching herself at him.

“Dad!” She called in her cheery little voice.

“Hey their sprite.” He caught her and spun her around a bit in his forelegs. “How’s my girl doi*ng? Good day at school?”

“The best! Me, Lilly and Dinky went over to Saddle Lake with the rest of the class. We should go again sometime and my friends can come.”

“Well that certainly does sound like allot of un. I may just have take you up on that.”

“Awesome!” The filly hoofpunched the air in excitement, nearly hitting Star in the process. “Oh, we should start planning now. We can go tomorrow.”

“Comet, tomorrow you still have school to go to. We’ll see about it this weekend. Now where’s your mother darling?”

“She’s just in the bedroom right now doing stuff.” As if on cue the lovely brown mare made herself known, stepping out from the hallway into the light of the fireplace. Comet bounded over the room and gave her a quick hug, giggling as she ruffled her blue mane.  “Look, dad’s home now.”

“Thanks sweetie, I think I can take it from here.” She let the filly run off towards her room, off to play with some of her toys while her parent talked a bit. She always did find their conversations boring. “So how was your day? Hope it wasn’t too bad.”

“Actually it was rather enjoyable. I met up with our old friend Dogboots on the way here.” Rockshire’s mood instantly began to shift at the mention of the stallion’s name, not really giving off any sort of vibe.

“Really? In Ponyville?”

“Hey,” Star Keeper planted a light kiss on her check, trying to keep away any unpleasant thoughts. “It doesn’t matter. He seems to be doing well since we last saw him. Maybe we’ll see him again soon.”

“I guess so, maybe it would be best.”

“That’s more like it. So, anything interesting happen while I was out? Any news?”

Shire looked towards the study room across the hall, trotting off and collecting what looked like a small envelope.  “This came today. It was dressed to both of us.”

“Really? Who’s it from?”

“Obsidian. I wanted to open it when you got home”

Wow, that name brought back memories. If he was quite honest with himself he wouldn't have made it this far without some much needed help from her back in Canterlot. “I guess we should take a look then…  see what she has to say.”

They both sat down comfortably on their couch, Rockshire resting her head against Star’s shoulder as they broke the seal on the envelope. The letter inside was a simple, clean hoof written letter. Maybe she was just writing to check up on them or wish them luck with the filly. Star fought back the urge to read ahead, instead starting the top and reading along with the mare beside him.

Dear Rockshire and Star Keeper,

Originally when I sat down and began writing this letter I thought of all the things I could say after all this time. I would love to say that after all these years I did not regret what happened, or even that what happened was meant to be. In the end I guess we made our choice on what time had given us. Maybe things could have turned out better, maybe things could have gone back to normal. But I couldn't even dream of it.

Well, I also wanted to say that Nightfall’s been a big help these past few years, always willing to lend a hoof. Raising a foal is tough work, as I suspect you already have figured out. He’s just had his fifth birthday by the way, we took him to go see a show in town. Oh goodness did he love it. It must be coming up to Comet’s birthday as well? Wow, we really have to meet up sometime. Oh and Whirlwind…  I cannot thank that stallion enough. I love that guy to bits. He gets sick of it sometimes, but I love to tease him about it.

I guess we found a new life in all this, despite all the drama and the chaos, we found peace. Oh Celestia, I’m getting all sentimental now. I promised myself I wouldn't cry. Alright...    I just wanted to say that I love you guys. I wouldn't be the mare I am today if it weren't for all of you. I wish you all the best in the days that lay ahead.

May Celestia bless you both,

Obsidian Winter

• Brohoof 4

(edited)

6 Years Later

Dear Rockshire,

I hope you received my previous letter before this one. I so very much wanted to include Star Keeper in this little reunion via letter. He and I never really knew each other very well but in those final days of my time at Canterlot College our time together was important and effected all of our lives. There are, some things I believe, that only another mare could truly understand. It is why I pen this to you today.

Raising two foals into adult hood has been a challenge. Its never something I really saw happening in my life. Vinyl and I reconciled after she finally found me 8 months after I vanished. She never did give up even though she was so very pregnant. She had stayed in touch with Whirlwind and after asking me my feelings on it, told him where I was. The reunion was happy and though I worried about his anger, there was none. Before these two arrived, Nightfall had been helping me remain hidden. The longer stay in the hospital allowed him to make a full recovery. I have been helping him learn to better use his magic and he has been helping me learn to control mine. Though I still must wear my crystal beads, there are more as a precaution instead of a need. My little foal, Snowfall, believes and shall always believe that Nightfall is his Uncle. Its what's best really. At 6 years old he took the return of his "Father" Whirlwind very well. Its like were a family; I real family.

I would say the hardest part has been getting close to Vinyl again. I love her and if I was ever to be with another mare again, it would be her. But even after 6 years I am still ridden with guilt over leaving her alone. I don't  deserve her. She needed me and I left because at the time I needed my solitude more. It was selfish and even though I try to push her away, she remains stubbornly patient. Our kids have grown up together and I am thankful for that. Nightfall has really become his own stallion, a fierce and loving creature. I adore him. Whirlwind and I have been able to final raise a foal together successfully which has been bitter sweet. I love him, but some wounds just can't be healed. I still see our poor foal in his features and it hurts. I'm glad he is here though. I wouldn't have it any other way.

In closing, I am thinking of making a trip out your way at some point. I havent becaue I didn;t know if I would be welcome...if we would be welcome. My time at the College was short but changed my life forever. Each of you are apart of what has made my future what it is. I shall always be grateful for that. May the Princess of the Night protect and bless your family. I hope to hear from you soon.

Warmest Regards,

Obsidian Winter

Edited by Obsidian_Winter
  • Brohoof 3