Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Spoiler warning is not enough

poniesforfun

MASSIVE SPOILERS AHEAD

Okay so I did not want to know even the name King Sombra existed before Season 3 and I did not want to know Trixie was coming up or even the name on the title. But people put those on their titles on the topics of the Show Discussion forum. It should be against the rules to even put those names there. I prefer all the new episodes to be a surprise and I think just putting something like Trixie on the title just ruins it.

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 3

I imagine it will be difficult to go to ANY MLP:FiM-centered website and not see spoilers as this fanbase is very excitable and quick to spill or read any and all new information about the show, merchandise, games, etc.

• Brohoof 5

It would still be nice to have an option to hide the titles of threads with *Spoiler* in them.

That does sound good, perhaps if we could filter the treads shown by tags we could do that.

Another possibly way is to make a spoiler section in sugercube corner, and you can opt. In to having that area be hidden or not? It could be a way to keep spoiler threads more organizied rather than have random spoiler threads all over sugercube corner?

Edited by Retro_Derpy

I see what you mean. It's like having a title "TRIXIE COMES BACK FOR EPISODE 4 (BTW MASSIVE SPOILERS)." You may as well just say what the entire synopsis of the episode is, while you're at it. I think a sort of spoiler thread would be a good idea, maybe a Future Episode Discussion? It sounds like a good idea to me.

• Brohoof 1

well tbh I don't mind spoilers all that much, but I know alot of people do. It seems like the biggest problem lies in the title though, so maybe just have it so that titles can have spoilers placed on them? Or maybe some kinda toggle or something for the forums? It doesn't really seem to be an issue with the actual threads contents, more the titles.

I'd have no problem with it, but I don't think a title will bother me that much. I've spoiled some things before to be honest, but it has to be more then a title to me to feel like I'm spoiling it.

Anyways I'd be totally fine with a spoilers in title kinda thing, or a toggle.

I see what you mean, and it's happened to me before. I'd like some sort of spoiler section, or a feature that automatically hides the thread title if it has a spoiler tag for users who opt into it. Just hiding the title would also cause problems, because a lot of people who don't mind minor spoilers might wander into a thread and get a major plot point spoiled for them.

I understand what you mean. :P But then again, this is a forum for discussing the latest news of ponies and such, so this is kindof expected from a forum. But I don't see the harm in having an option to where you can hide certain titles of threads.

Without the spoilers on titles, what else are people gonna name the thread? If they name it without revealing the 'spoiler alert' then people won't be as interested to see the thread. Then it'll just be a mess. But I agree, maybe we can have the option to put a spoiler on titles that may contain spoilers. I think it'd be a great thing to add. Doesn't seem hard to add, either.

We'll have to see what happens. Until then, try to be careful when lurking around the show discussion ... although that's gonna be pretty hard to do. :P

Edited by Pixiesong
  • Brohoof 1

Without the spoilers on titles, what else are people gonna name the thread? If they name it without revealing the 'spoiler alert' then people won't be as interested to see the thread. Then it'll just be a mess.

This is more or less the primary caveat. It's a double-edged sword - for those wanting to discuss a new piece of news or a spoilery development, descriptive thread titles are more or less a necessity. Furthermore, descriptive titles are fantastic for SEO, which provides a very significant amount of our new traffic. On the other hand, descriptive titles are the worst enemy of someone looking to avoid finding anything out about an episode before they watch it.

But I agree, maybe we can have the option to put a spoiler on titles that may contain spoilers. I think it'd be a great thing to add. Doesn't seem hard to add, either.

I can safely say that adding new features like that to site like that is almost always much, much easier said than done. Before any coding can even begin, we need to be absolutely sure how we'd like to approach the problem. The actual feasibility and necessary API's need to then be researched and evaluated to make sure it's possible to add the feature; if not, retracing the first step may be necessary. The solution then needs to be coded, and afterwards extensively tested to ensure it has no hidden "gotchas" and works as expected in a wide variety of browser environments.

We're more than open to ideas on the best way for you, as end-users, to deal with spoilers - but I just wanted to make it clear that whatever is decided on, if anything, is not going to be something that will be implemented overnight.

• Brohoof 2

I imagine it will be difficult to go to ANY MLP:FiM-centered website and not see spoilers as this fanbase is very excitable and quick to spill or read any and all new information about the show, merchandise, games, etc.

It's really due to this fact that my sympathy for people irritated about spoilers is limited.

If you hang out constantly on a pony forum this active, you're going to get hit by spoilers of some size here and there, no matter what precautions are piled on by the staff. If something feasible and practical can be added that works down the line, that's great, but my general stance on these issues is somewhere in the middle of the spectrum.

• Brohoof 3