Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

This Day Aria: Colt Cover

concertoldham

I'm not a music expert, but I'm not too fond of your voice, I give you heads up for your beautiful vibrato (whatever that's spelled), it was amazing. However you sang out of tune in many parts of the song, you seem like you can do better. Overall it was a good piece, I liked how you changed the lyrics to match a colt's version and the bg music sounded 20% cooler like the original one, almost like a live orchestra.

• Brohoof 2

I'm not a music expert, but I'm not too fond of your voice, I give you heads up for your beautiful vibrato (whatever that's spelled), it was amazing. However you sang out of tune in many parts of the song, you seem like you can do better. Overall it was a good piece, I liked how you changed the lyrics to match a colt's version and the bg music sounded 20% cooler like the original one, almost like a live orchestra.

I am a bit of a music expert, and I completely agree with you, Motion Spark. There also times that the tone could have been better (Shining Armor at times sounded a little unconcerned considering his bride was about to be married to an impostor, and King Metamorphasis seemed equally lacking of villainy in places), and some tempo issues. Were you taking it slower than the canon version? I've seen other colt versions, and the lyrics you used matched up pretty consistently. But Motion's right, you did use good vibrato. And the touched up background music did sound better, and better complemented the bass part you were singing than the original version would have, but I think it could be a pinch louder, there were places where it seemed to be slightly overpowered.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the piece. This Day Aria is my favorite song from MLP in all of ever. It's just that I'm a hugely dedicated musician, and can't help critiquing what I hear.

Edited by Descant
  • Brohoof 1

I am a bit of a music expert, and I completely agree with you, Motion Spark. There also times that the tone could have been better (Shining Armor at times sounded a little unconcerned considering his bride was about to be married to an impostor, and King Metamorphasis seemed equally lacking of villainy in places), and some tempo issues. Were you taking it slower than the canon version? I've seen other colt versions, and the lyrics you used matched up pretty consistently. But Motion's right, you did use good vibrato. And the touched up background music did sound better, and better complemented the bass part you were singing than the original version would have, but I think it could be a pinch louder, there were places where it seemed to be slightly overpowered.

Don't get me wrong, I enjoyed the piece. This Day Aria is my favorite song from MLP in all of ever. It's just that I'm a hugely dedicated musician, and can't help critiquing what I hear.

wow, I don't know what to say...I'm not a singer and I do not appreciate music like many people do, don't get me wrong, I love music, but I have NO KNOWLEDGE of music, but do have a good ear for music...

it's pretty weird...

I'm secretly jealous of singers, because I always wanted to sing, but I hate my voice, though I've been singing parts of smile smile smile here and there, and I've been enjoying my horrible voice a little bit  :blush:

wow, I don't know what to say...I'm not a singer and I do not appreciate music like many people do, don't get me wrong, I love music, but I have NO KNOWLEDGE of music, but do have a good ear for music...

it's pretty weird...

I'm secretly jealous of singers, because I always wanted to sing, but I hate my voice, though I've been singing parts of smile smile smile here and there, and I've been enjoying my horrible voice a little bit  :blush:

You probably aren't as bad as you think. I thought I was horrible at singing too, until my high school chorus and drama teacher dragged me into participating in the Music Man (It was the school musical that year, and was, incidentally, the song that the FlimFlam brothers' song is based off of is from said musical). Then I discovered I wasn't half bad at it. Just get involved in something, and maybe you'll find that it suits you. You'll never know unless you try  ;)

• Brohoof 1

You probably aren't as bad as you think. I thought I was horrible at singing too, until my high school chorus and drama teacher dragged me into participating in the Music Man (It was the school musical that year, and was, incidentally, the song that the FlimFlam brothers' song is based off of is from said musical). Then I discovered I wasn't half bad at it. Just get involved in something, and maybe you'll find that it suits you. You'll never know unless you try  ;)

but I always wanted to be like these singers that have a heart attack on stage, those artists that fills the whole theater and that can extends their voices for many seconds.

I'm asking for too much, since I believe that singing is a gift and not something that you can learn, yeah, many people learned how to sing, but I think that it's not the same IMO.

but I always wanted to be like these singers that have a heart attack on stage, those artists that fills the whole theater and that can extends their voices for many seconds.

I'm asking for too much, since I believe that singing is a gift and not something that you can learn, yeah, many people learned how to sing, but I think that it's not the same IMO.

Well, you'll never find out if you have that gift if you don't try, right? That's all I had to do. Try. You can't be afraid of what people will think of you. I burst out into song in public all of the time, randomly. I've actually been threatened for doing so, and yet I kept on singing. Yay, empty threats!

Well, you'll never find out if you have that gift if you don't try, right? That's all I had to do. Try. You can't be afraid of what people will think of you. I burst out into song in public all of the time, randomly. I've actually been threatened for doing so, and yet I kept on singing. Yay, empty threats!

I would randomly sing or enjoy karaokes even, if I think that I have a good voice...I would like to record myself someday singing smile smile smile XD though and ask for feedback but at the moment I lack good equipment for recording and there's no way I would expose my raw voice out there. XD

Really I do not sing, ever o-o

• Brohoof 1

I would randomly sing or enjoy karaokes even, if I think that I have a good voice...I would like to record myself someday singing smile smile smile XD though and ask for feedback but at the moment I lack good equipment for recording and there's no way I would expose my raw voice out there. XD

Really I do not sing, ever o-o

Who needs expensive recording equipment when you have an iPhone and a nice, quiet room? Bahaha, I tried. I guess singing's not for everypony.  ;)

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for the critiques! I know the Shining Armor parts were iffy. That was because I had some trouble getting into character so i gave his parts a more neutral tone. As far as tempo, I took it just the tiniest pinch slower. Some of the lyrics were a little awkward so there were a few spots where my tongue was a little tied.

Other than having chorus in high school, I've never had any training and a lot of my techniques (such as my vibrato) were self taught, so it's rough and very unrefined. But thank you guys for the criticism it is really going to be a help for future projects! Also thanks for the positive feed back too!

Hm, I think I'd really like to cover this some day. Maybe I've missed it, but could you send an instrumental version to me at some point, Max?

Seconded. This would be a fun project.