Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My MLP Sketches

Mr Dash

Here are Rainbow Dash, Fluttershy, Pinkie Pie and Twilight Sparkle. Face sketches I did off of some vectors. Link if you're curious about what vectors I sketched. http://kitsuneymg.deviantart.com/art/Rainbow-Dash-Hugs-Vector-244117485

First off, the last time I tried to sketch was about 10 or 11 years ago, and it was a full body sketch of Goku (Dragon Ball Z). The body turned out good, but the face was a little off. For some reason, after that, I stopped. I never thought about drawing or sketching after that. I guess for some reason I thought I wasn't that good. So I never tried again. That is until I started watching MLP. After about 6 or so episodes, I felt compelled to do some sketches. I searched vectors of Rainbow Dash (since she's my favorite), and came across the one I linked. I then decided to start off with sketching the mane 6's faces. Well, I quite surprised myself when I was done with Rainbow Dash. I probably would have never tried drawing or sketching again if it hadn't been for MLP.

These take me a while with lots of erasing. I'm using a mechanical pencil because that's all I have. I couldn't erase well enough around Fluttershy's chin and mouth area so it's a little smudgy. Got new erasers so it's easier to clean up my sketches now.

Twilight is the lastest and probably last addition.

Spoiler tags added to reduce size of post.

post-11558-0-56558600-1357775783_thumb.jpg

img-1074005-1-20130111_170602_zpsf9c77d1

img-1074005-2-20130122_143924_zps5f995d5

img-1074005-3-912524f7-7aff-44cf-99d2-bf

Edited by Mr. Dash
  • Brohoof 16

Dude these are great! I love mechanical pencils, they make very clean lines and since you're sketching a vector, it makes a lot of sense! :) I hope you're not using the tiny eraser on the end of the mechanical pencil though! Those are hopeless, I usually have a separate eraser nearby haha :P

• Brohoof 2

Haha :D Your story is almost completely similar to mine, dude :P I too used to draw Dragon Ball characters a LONG time ago, my pride being a full body drawing of Vegito, also with the face a bit off. I stopped drawing completely too, until MLP came to my life :3 Now I'm drawing almost every day. Started with copying other pictures but slowly trying to move to original characters and poses. 

These drawings are great ^^ Your lines are very smooth and clear. Fluttershy's face seems a bit squished in my opinion, and the eyes seem a bit off for some reason. This might be just me though. Anyway, you've done a great job :) Keep on drawing!

• Brohoof 1

pretty boss dude, i wanna learn to draw some ponies and maybe get a mlp tatt or somethin. anyway, i used to take a blueprint drafting class in college and i noticed that graphite pencils gave me good results. in initial sketching you should use an H to an HB grade which is are harder graphites that draw lighter so erasing is easier for correcting mistakes. Finishing should be done with 2B to solidify your important lines making them hqrder to erase and use a 6,7, and 8B for shading, beware: these grades do tend to smudge.

Edited by zombronie
  • Brohoof 1

Sketches= unbelievably good drawings...you are either being modest or you're a wizard! Doing something of this magnitude without the proper tools is hard to comprehend. I would suggest you keep up your good work and maybe color these.

• Brohoof 1

Those are so good they are soo cute I really love the fluttershy one its so cute ^-^ also maybe since your really good you should start drawing your own custome ponies :wub:  :)  :D  Hope to see more drawings you're very talented

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Fluttershy's face seems a bit squished in my opinion, and the eyes seem a bit off for some reason.

It might just be because I was trying to copy the vector, which has her head tilted a little bit. So that might attribute to the squished look.

I hope you're not using the tiny eraser on the end of the mechanical pencil though!

Actually I am. I keep forgetting to get a separate eraser. But at least the mechanical pencils I'm using aren't the cheap plastic ones. I got some Zebra ones and the eraser's are actually decent on those.

And zombronie, I honestly don't have a clue about anything you said. I guess I should do some homework on that stuff. All these pencils you are talking about, I guess I could get them from an art or hobby store I'm guessing? Also, I think I might have nightmares from looking at your avatar.

Sketches= unbelievably good drawings...you are either being modest or you're a wizard!

I appreciate it very much! I guess I'm a wizard because I had no idea I could draw like this. Hmmm..... A wizard without knowing it....I feel a letter from Hogwarts on it's way.

Also, I kind of like them the way they are. Maybe one day I will color my sketches, but for now, I am satisfied with them.

maybe since your really good you should start drawing your own custome ponies

I am planning on it. I just want to finish the mane 6's faces first, then do some full body sketches before I try an OC.

And thanks everypony else. I appreciate the kind and awesome words. Next sketch will be Pinkie Pie. I just don't know when she will be done, classes start next week so I will have a little less time on my hands.

Edited by Mr. Dash

And zombronie, I honestly don't have a clue about anything you said. I guess I should do some homework on that stuff. All these pencils you are talking about, I guess I could get them from an art or hobby store I'm guessing? Also, I think I might have nightmares from looking at your avatar.

He's referring to the different grades of pencils graphite.

They go from 9H to 9B (that's why test papers always ask you to use either a No. 2 pencil (HB) or a 2B pencil, cuz they're right smack in the middle of the spectrum. Meaning they'll leave a dark enough mark but be easy enough to erase)

Lightest ------------------------------------------------------  Darkest

9H 8H 7H 6H 5H 4H 3H 2H H F HB 2B 3B 4B 5B 6B 7B 8B 9B

Hardest ------------------------------------------------------- Softest

When I say hard/soft, I literally mean the physical hardness of the graphite. 9B graphite is extremely soft and it'll break the moment you drop the pencil, and that's why they smudge so easily too, but they're extremely dark, you'll be able to colour in the fills in no time with a 9B pencil.

Most pencils will indicate what grade they are on the body (this includes mechanical pencil lead, it's indicated on the plastic case):

310px-Pencils_hb.jpg

You should be able to find a wide selection of pencils and lead from any respectable stationery store :)

Hope that helped ;)

• Brohoof 1

Thanks so much! It makes much more sense now. I just have to wait till I get some money before I go pencil shopping. Poor college and all.

Thanks so much! It makes much more sense now. I just have to wait till I get some money before I go pencil shopping. Poor college and all.

You probably won't have to wait long, pencils are cheap, like 25 cents kind of cheap :P You could probably buy a bundle of pencils with lunch money  :lol:

(edited)

You probably won't have to wait long, pencils are cheap, like 25 cents kind of cheap :P You could probably buy a bundle of pencils with lunch money :lol:

Yeah, but I'm at a conservative state right now. Since my money is low, I only want to spend it on what I need. Pencils can wait. Bills cannot for to long. Plus I need to find a place to get them. I'm still new to my college city and don't know where much is around here.

Edited by Mr. Dash

• 2 weeks later...
Having them colored would be pretty neat but you already filled in.

Personally for the face sketches, I just want to stick with filling them in with pencil. I will eventually get to making sketches and coloring them in. Just have to decide what I want to use to color them when I get to that point.

I really love them man! the finest drawing on paper I've seen so far and I've seen quiet a lot I especially like how you made those eyes the drawings are really adorable

Edited by Sensuna

My gosh the drawings are just amazing! For just sketches I love them :wub:
I really love them man! the finest drawing on paper I've seen so far and I've seen quiet a lot I especially like how you made those eyes the drawings are really adorable

Thank you very much! I appreciate it a lot!

Next up I'm going to do Twilight. I can't guarantee when she will be done though. Which will be the same for any sketch I do.

These are brilliant! I love the style, really neat and smooth lines. Mechanical pencils are best but I agree they are hard to rub out. Strangely enough I can never find any rubbers for my drawings so I end up restarting completely. Oh well it's good practise for me...

Anyway, good drawings, keep it up! No bad comments from me!