Hi. My name is Harvan, and I'm a Brony.

Pixel Stick

Hi everyone. I was told I should introduce myself, so here goes...

I'm your average, run-of-the-mill software developer. I'm 36 years old, and I live in the Seattle area with my wonderful wife, six cats, two snakes and no kids. (I'd joke that the snakes ate the kids, but...) And I recently discovered Friendship is Magic and, after resisting it for months, finally decided to embrace the Brony culture.

I'm definitely in the "Moderate" group. My wife started watching the show on Netflix about six months ago, and she encouraged me to watch an episode or two. At first, I thought it would just be embarrassing and girly, so it took me a while. But finally I begrudgingly agreed to sit down and suffer through a couple of episodes.

We started at the beginning, and at first it looked like I was going to be right about the kidsy, girly bit. But when Nightmare Moon made her grand entrance, I found myself saying, "Wow, there's a villain I can respect!". Later, my wife showed me the first half of the Super Cider episode, and I was actually blown away by how good the Flim-Flam Brothers song was.

Finally, the show won me over with my first genuine laugh-out-loud moment: when Pinkie Pie popped out in an apple cart to remind Twilight not to divulge Spike's secret, by menacingly biting into an apple. It just struck me as so totally random, I still chuckle about it.

I've really grown to like the show. It grew on me. And I'm happy to know there's a supportive community of folks just like me.

If you asked me which of the main characters is my favorite, well... I like them all, really. But I think Fluttershy is my favorite, partly because I can really empathize with the shy, quiet type, and partly because I find her the least annoying. I'd put Rarity and Pinkie Pie as close seconds - Pinkie in particular because I love randomness and tend to be quite random myself.

I'm an avid gamer and dabble a bit in writing, music, video editing and yarn spinning. I might try my hand at a little fan art or fiction at some point. Who knows?

Anyway, I've babbled on long enough. It's good to meet you all. :)

• Brohoof 7

If you wanna make the world a better place,
Take a look at yourself, then make a change.

-- Michael Jackson

Welcome to the forums Harv, it was quite refreshing to see that you put effort and thought into your post, also its nice to have an older member on here :) if you want to, feel free to chat with me, as I'm on here most of the time

Edited by Somerled FireMane

Thanks, Somerled. :). I'm definitely new to MLP, but been around in other fandoms for a while. It's pretty amazing to see how much impact a show targeted at little girls can have on adults like you and me, huh?

• Brohoof 1

-- Michael Jackson

Very much so, though I was raised and taught such principles, but it takes all kinds really. I have to admit that MLP really helps when teaching my step daughter the values and principles taught in this show. I admit that I struggle with a few of them ( due to my disability ), but then who doesn't eh?

Welcome, dude! I hope you do enjoy the show as it really gave me another thing to do when I'm bored and also it is a great hobby and way to interact with awesome people. Welcome to the whole community of the bronydom! :P I'm pretty sure you'll find someone here you can relate with.

I like your hobby of developing software! And probably a fanfic you say? I'll be looking forward to that. I'll be here to proofread your work if you want. My grammar is fine, and I can help you.You probably might need another person to proofread what I proofread since I'm not exactly your "English teacher" and also, I am Asian. However, I do speak fluent-ish English. I speak more English than my language. :P

Anyway, welcome to the forums! I hope you do enjoy (once again). Have fun and remember, new episode comes out this Saturday! 

DxWGINK.png

Thank you, Gone Airbourne, for the amazing signature!

hey harvan, happy welcome!

nice story, good that you gave the show a try though to your doubts, my respect for that. Hope you enjoy it here, lots of cool bronies to talk to/ discuss, chat and whatnot... not to mention everyone is super-nice and just friendly (because we can :P)

Would be cool to see some of your art around here, really looking forward to that :3

have a good time, see you around ;)

securedownload1_by_ofpastelcolours-d6rmbnx.jpg

Signature made by the amazing ~Harmonic Dreams~

I always pictured you as a cross between Demoman and Pinkie Pie for some reason.

Everyone in room: "Hi Harvan."

Anyways, welcome to the forums!

(Also, what breed(s) of snakes do you have? And what colors? :P)

• Brohoof 1

leafeon.gif

Eeveelutions:

@Vaporeon: N-Harmonia        : Ampharos      @Flareon: Descant/Bard

@Espeon:  Locked        @Umbreon: Lhee        @Leafeon:   Firebolt        @Glaceon: Mal        @Sylveon: Don'tDropThatDedenne

Hello and welcome to the forums!  So you've done work with music?  Curious, what sort of music?  Electronic, instrumental, vocal, etc?  I'm actually trying to do a little bit of music creation myself (preferably instrumental).

"Ceterum censeo background ponies delendas esse" - Stellafera

AS9001Sig_zps4d1010f8.png

Credit for the Octavia vector goes to the awesome Harmonic Revelations

Credit for the creation of my avatar and signature goes to the amazing Wubsie

Once again, thanks!

(Also, what breed(s) of snakes do you have? And what colors? :P)

They're my wife's, actually. :). One is a corn snake, about 3 feet long and a nice tan-and-brown pattern. The other is a rat snake (originally sold as a corn), solid orange, and he's grown to about 7 and a half feet. He's pretty old now - she's had him longer than I've known her. :)

I like your hobby of developing software!

Alas, I'm afraid it's more of a profession than a hobby. Which means deadlines and a boss keeping a close eye on my work. :P

So you've done work with music? Curious, what sort of music? Electronic, instrumental, vocal, etc? I'm actually trying to do a little bit of music creation myself (preferably instrumental).

Electronic stuff, mainly. A bit of techno/trance - if we're allowed to post non-MLP-related works, I can upload MP3s at some point. I let my domain lapse a while back, so I don't have links handy. Also have a piano piece I wrote for my wedding, and I'm just starting to learn to play the theremin.

Very cool on your own music! I heartily encourage this. :)

• Brohoof 1

-- Michael Jackson

if we're allowed to post non-MLP-related works, I can upload MP3s at some point.

There's a non-Pony art section of Octavia's Hall where those should fit nicely.  Please do upload some!  I'd be interested to listen to them.

"Ceterum censeo background ponies delendas esse" - Stellafera

AS9001Sig_zps4d1010f8.png

Credit for the Octavia vector goes to the awesome Harmonic Revelations

Credit for the creation of my avatar and signature goes to the amazing Wubsie

Once again, thanks!

There's a non-Pony art section of Octavia's Hall where those should fit nicely.  Please do upload some!  I'd be interested to listen to them.

Thanks - went ahead and uploaded one over there. :)  Please let me know what you think!

-- Michael Jackson

Just figured I'd show off my pony - used General Zoi's Pony Generator and Photoshopped my cutie mark (since I couldn't figure out how to get it to take an image with a transparency).  Colors are loosely based on my WoW character (a Night Elf) and my love of skunks. :)

post-12487-0-57694500-1360387715_thumb.png

-- Michael Jackson

Hello harvan, it's very nice to meet ya. I have to say I haven't been on here long but it's safe to say I knew what to expect once I came on here, and to let you know I was not disappointed. I wish you only the very best on here and if you feel like chatting, I'm here!

• Brohoof 1