Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What Conststutes Grim Dark?

Argumedies

This is for all you Fanfiction writers.

I want to know what constitutes Grim Dark. It is a term that I have only seen when dealing with FIM material so I’m not completely clear on its use/misuse

I know basically what it means in dealing with violent acts or things that deal with a mature content (non clop) but I don’t know if there was a specific definition for it. How far can one get before a story crosses that line.

So I want to know what your opinions on what defines “Grim Dark” material when writing Fan Fiction

Edited by Argumedies
  • Brohoof 1

The definition of grim dark?

It's a story that, no matter how hard you try, is impossible to fap to.

In all seriousness though, I think of grimdark as a story that leaves you disturbed and unsettled after reading it, usually with gratuitous amounts of violence along the way.

p.s. I did a little research and there is no "absolute" definition of grimdark.

Edited by CamRad18

I have this lovely little tool called Google that I used to help myself answer this for you.

Knowyourmeme:

Grimdark is an adjective used to describe a setting or situation in a fictional work that is considered dark, depressive, violent or edgy, particularly in fanfic literature. The term can also be applied to an artistic style that uses shading and muted colors, if not black and white, often associated with mature themes.

Urban Dictionary:

An adjective taken from the root words of grim and darkness, both of which are featured in the tagline for Warhammer 40,000: "In the grim darkness of the far future there is only war." It is usually used to describe a setting that would equal poor living conditions and life expectancies for those actually living in it.

1d4chan:

Grimdark is an adjective derived from the tagline for Warhammer 40k, which states that "In the grim darkness of the far future, there is only war." It is generally used to describe a setting which it would really, REALLY suck to actually live in, exemplified by Warhammer 40k itself (in fairness, this is because the published material primarily focuses on war and cults and other horrible things; there are supposed to be many pleasant and peaceful worlds and sectors in the Imperium, but they are mostly ignored as they are boring from a game perspective -- and when they do appear in lore or stories, they're about to go from 0 to fucked very, very soon. Unless, of course, we're talking about planets in the Macragge system. Goddamned Ultramarines). It can also be used to describe artwork that has a grimdark feel, even if the setting itself would not normally be considered grim or dark.

I advise you get this "Google." It would help in situations like these.

[/passive aggression]

Anyway, yes. Grimdark is anything grim and dark; hence name. That's about it.

Edited by Plummy
  • Brohoof 1

Grimdark is not gorefests like Cupcakes. Those things are mere shockfics and are nowhere near grimdark.

A grimdark story revolves around mature themes, such as death or violence. It's not a happy and bright setting, and it's usually a tragedy.

• Brohoof 1

I have this lovely little tool called Google that I used to help myself answer this for you.

"An adjective taken from the root words of grim and darkness"

Yes yes, i see, uhum, it does sound very helpful. Please, tell me more about this "Google" of yours.

[/passive aggression]

If wanted a stock answer i would look one on google. As you can see i don't want a stock answer.

I know what "Grim" is, i know what "Dark" is, so if i put them together it will be "Grimdark", right? Yeah, that's fine and all but if that's the case then what the hell is the diference between that and just plain "Dark"? That's my main doubt, what is the limit, if there is one, between "Dark" and "Grimdark"?

It has to be one, right? They have to be diferent for some reason... right?

A grimdark story revolves around mature themes, such as death or violence. It's not a happy and bright setting, and it's usually a tragedy.

I quote this so I can correct it with my own opinion at the same time I answer the question.

From my point of view, grim-dark is something completely hopeless where there's no hero, and everyone is either a complete asshole or a victim that quickly gets killed off.

I define what he's talking about as plain old darkfic, it's kinda similar, but it can still have heroes and a happy ending if done right.    

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Idk I just always assumed that it was just a violent or dark themed fic with well dark themes, like big violence and everything just not being happy and cheery really, maybe even gruesome.

I'm not really an expert though :P, I don't read a whole lot of fanfics to be honest.

Ok it seems we have the basics covered on general discription.

Now lets ask it this way. When your writing out your vavorite pony fic and you want to include some mild mature reading aspects but you dont want to get over indulgent. Where do you draw the line?

I had one case where a character used a squirt gun and used the false image deemed zombie even though it wasnt in the end and it was instantly labled grimdark and tossed aside.

I do not believe that it should be labed so easy as such but i wanted to ask the question.

How mature can you make a story that has those propertys without crossing the line.

• Brohoof 1

I suppose its more of a matter of opinion but grimdark in my opinion is a story that has a dark and creepy tone without going to a point where its all about murder. In my opinion a grimdark should have A dark/creepy tone, mystery, and be somewhat Emotional. Those are the key components in a grimdark story in my opinion. Hope this helped (And again this is only my opinion you may think differently)

I've heard about Grim Dark and how it's in some of the fan fictions, talking about violence, blood and gore. I never got myself to read one of them, since I never read any fan-fictions to begin with and I don't plan on doing so since I heard most of them aren't that great.

As a reader and writer of grimdark, I consider it to be anything that involves tragedy, gore, death, or sadistic insanity, but from a more specific point of view I would describe it as a dark subject that comes out of left field for you. Such as a usually nice and happy character that turns out to be a serial killer or goes on a killing spree.

It also depends on the level; a light grimdark may mean simply mature gore and violence, while a more serious one can contain extreme sadism and torture, i.e. Cupcakes or Rocket to Insanity.

Edited by TheSteampunkNinja (TSN)