Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Proof that MLP:FIM is not a show for "toddler girls"

Champion RD92

So one of my friends tried to argue with me one time that MLP:FIM is for "toddler girls"

Well, here's proof that the show is NOT for toddler girls.

Would a show for toddler girls have heavy friggin' metal in it?!?!?! Huh??? Would it??? I don't think so!!!

• Brohoof 20

Anybody who claims the show is for toddlers has clearly never seen the show, and characters such as Chrysalis, King Sombra and episodes like "Lesson Zero" in particular.

• Brohoof 16

Well, my 6 year old brother has trouble following the stories of the episodes c:

He asks "wait, what's going on?" every 3 minutes ; ____ ;

He likes Dashie, Pinkie is his second favorite. Damn right Pinkie better be in his top 3 >:L

He likes Rarity too ; v ;

• Brohoof 8

If anything I think the show is kind of for all ages like Pixar movies. There's something for everypony in MLP FiM. Remember all those pop culture references they include that little girls couldn't possibly be familiar with?

Edited by Tollhouse
  • Brohoof 6

I think the reason that the show is well received by older audiences is because every cartoon currently made is absolutely horrible and FiM goes right back to the style of cartoons that was popular in the 90s (AKA the best cartoons). Also, the Crystal Empire episode was about slavery, which would be a bit heavy in a show for little girls.

• Brohoof 9

I don;t know that toddler girls would appreciate Big Lebowski cameos or references to the ending of Star Wars Episode IV. 

But the best way to argue back is to simply say, "Who the hell CARES?  It's a good show!"  Michael Bay openly admits that his films are for 12 year old boys, but does that prevent other people from enjoying them?

• Brohoof 6

This show enjoyable for all ages. In fact they do have adult references, like the fact that in "best night ever" there's a doughnut place that's obviously a bar reference.

• Brohoof 4

Wow I never thought of that.  MLP is pretty close to the 90's cartoons, especially humor wise even with the lack of sexual innuendos and drug references.   Actually scratch the drug references.  I remembered the spike in the bowl pun and that scene with the donut extra sprinkles.  XD

• Brohoof 3

Nobody's arguing with you on that! First of all, I present exhibit A:

Second of all, I present to you Big Lebowski Ponies.

mylittleponybiglebowski.png

Blank flanks dude...

And finally, I present to you what is probably my favorite reference.

vector__twilight_sparkle_by_theimortalis

Rainbow even asks if Twilight learned to run from "The Egghead's Guide to Running". :D

Edited by Circadian
  • Brohoof 10

Also the A-Team reference in that episode with Babs.  I can't think of much dirty jokes in MLP.  I find it funny whenever somepony says "What the hay?"   Little things like that make the show that much more enjoyable and appealing.

• Brohoof 4

Well, we also have James Bond references, Samurai Jack, Lasers, Big Lebrowski, Phoenix Wright, and a bar reference (Best Night ever? Another donut, extra sprinkles?).

We do have a Star Wars reference in there somewhere, so, this show is for all ages, like the pixar movies.

• Brohoof 5

I  remember reading on wiki that Spike does a dance from a 70's musical in one episode.  Some of the references in the show can be very obscure.

Plus on occasion they'll have ponies of real life celebrites like Frank Sinatra and stuff.  XD

• Brohoof 1

I  remember reading on wiki that Spike does a dance from a 70's musical in one episode.  Some of the references in the show can be very obscure.

Plus on occasion they'll have ponies of real life celebrites like Frank Sinatra and stuff.  XD

I vaguely remember Spike doing that dance. Oh, and at one point Spike did Party Rock Anthem Shuffling and Gangnam Style. 

We also have pony curses. "Princess Mi Amore Cadenza. Who in the hoof is that?!"

"What the hay is that supposed to mean?"

We also came up with...

"What the buck?!"

This also reflects 90's cartoons, which are obviously best cartoons.

• Brohoof 7

What the buck?  lmao   Seriously, that is what I'd call crossing the line as far as what's appropriate for cartoons these days.  I'm surprised they got away with that. 

Well, I've seen in a lot of cases in the episodes that the writers are not afraid to cross that imaginary TV rating boundary line. Just like the shows that I've been watching when I was growing up, they all started at first appealing to children then later on when adults and teenagers started watching them, they started to appeal to older audiences. So, when people say this show is only for girls, they should look at the other audiences that watch the show too.

• Brohoof 1

What the buck?  lmao   Seriously, that is what I'd call crossing the line as far as what's appropriate for cartoons these days.  I'm surprised they got away with that. 

They didn't make 'What the buck?'. We came up with that ourselves since us fans have gotten...creative...nowadays. mlp-twut.png

However, 'Hay' and 'Hoof' are sort-of swears. We also have beavers swearing in their own funny language in 'Keep Calm and Flutter On'.

• Brohoof 4

They didn't make 'What the buck?'. We came up with that ourselves since us fans have gotten...creative...nowadays. mlp-twut.png

However, 'Hay' and 'Hoof' are sort-of swears. We also have beavers swearing in their own funny language in 'Keep Calm and Flutter On'.

But my point was they said "what the buck" on the show.  It's highly suggestive enough to the point that it's innapropriate for the target audience.  That's what I'm saying.

• Brohoof 1

But my point was they said "what the buck" on the show.  It's highly suggestive enough to the point that it's innapropriate for the target audience.  That's what I'm saying.

I don't think they said 'what the buck' on the show. We came up with it ourselves, and they never picked up on it. Unless I missed them saying it.

I don't think they said 'what the buck' on the show. We came up with it ourselves, and they never picked up on it. Unless I missed them saying it.

Oh... I could've sworn I've heard them say it before.   I might've just misread your first post.  Well anyway, "What the hay" is pretty suggestive as well too.

If you attempt to target a specific demographic with your product, you are setting a standard of mediocrity.

Let's go back to the basics. Faust may not have intended for a fandom as big as bronies to erupt within a few months of its conception. However, she certainly did not want to her new series to be fawned upon by just little girls. By consensus, she wanted to make something that was universal and enjoyable for everyone regardless of their age or gender.

It is true that FIM has feminine aspects to it that set the tone lay the building blocks for its progression, but never to the point where it dominates characterization and envelopes the series in a stereotype. One of the points of that was to make the "target audience" (little girls) appear just as capable and strong as their gender counterparts -- young males, who are of course portrayed to be confident and capable protagonists. This is why the Mane Six are set apart from other female leads because they're shown to be independent and intelligent; not (often) as the "damsel in distress" like the age-old custom outlines. I'll go as far as to say that, in regards to some of the male audience, it's another reason why they're damn attractive. At heart, they're shown to be almost like real people with real emotions -- there's no wonder as to why there's a ton of fan material out there, and why many are attached to them.

Themes recurrent in Friendship is Magic are varying of nature. Season three had a broader scope to it, with many of its episodes focusing on fear being a propriety. This diversity is another reason why many of its episodes are admirable in their own way. Like Harmonic Revelations said, for example, slavery was something of note in the season three premiere -- it is a bit heavy on the little girls front, but the right people can enjoy it and, for what it's worth, to have the confidence to believe that little girls can enjoy that sort of storyline is gutsy and respectable. Who says that they have to be stuck in a land filled with tea parties and dress up? Not I! Little kids are the future, and it'd be terrible to see an entire gender be filled with uninteresting, unimaginative, and certainly dreary shells.

You will find that no two little girls are ever the same, and in recent memory, the "anti-bronies" have given that demographic a stereotype to chew on. Perhaps it does hold true to a certain extent, but understand that every human being no matter the age is dynamic. That, I think, is the best mindset to combat the still-established "girly" nature of MLP.

• Brohoof 5

Oh... I could've sworn I've heard them say it before.   I might've just misread your first post.  Well anyway, "What the hay" is pretty suggestive as well too.

Maybe Kyrospawn has the answer!

Anyway, what the hay is pretty suggestive, I can't argue there. However, toddlers can't possibly make the connection to hell, unless they are highly intelligent.

Maybe Kyrospawn has the answer!

Anyway, what the hay is pretty suggestive, I can't argue there. However, toddlers can't possibly make the connection to hell, unless they are highly intelligent.

But... if they start staying that in conversation, it could raise concern for the parents because it's so close to saying hell.  But yeah the parents would have to be the really strict type.

But... if they start staying that in conversation, it could raise concern for the parents because it's so close to saying hell.  But yeah the parents would have to be the really strict type.

I completely agree. However, if parents are going to complain now, then they're late. 'What the hay' has been used since episode two.mlp-cenotamused.png

Twilight Sparkle: ...then the spark will make the sixth element appear.

Applejack: What the hay is that supposed to mean?

Twilight Sparkle: I'm not sure, but stand back.

• Brohoof 1

I think the reason that the show is well received by older audiences is because every cartoon currently made is absolutely horrible and FiM goes right back to the style of cartoons that was popular in the 90s (AKA the best cartoons). Also, the Crystal Empire episode was about slavery, which would be a bit heavy in a show for little girls.

As a fan of Adventure Time, Gravity Falls, Regular Show, MLP, and Phineas And Ferb, I'm gonna have to disagree with the "today's cartoons are horrible" mindset.

I think it's understandable that people think this show is for toddlers if they haven't seen it. The friendship letters don't help the case.

• Brohoof 1