Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The mane 6 seem pretty good with ALL of the elements

silvadel

While they are each supposed to represent their own element, it seems to me that for the most part they epitomize most of the six.

I mean:

Twilight is definitely a straight shooter(10).  You do not see her lie even as much as AJ.  She is quite loyal(8), She seems fairly kind(7) and generous(7) even if she isn't the standard barer for either of them.  The only thing she kind of lacks is a sense of humor(5).

Pinkie Pie is another very honest pony, not as pathologically as Twi or AJ tho(9).  She is intensely loyal(10), has the magic of friendship in such abundance that she is friends with the whole town(10), is generous almost to a fault (9) and is mostly kind (8).

Rainbow Dash is bluntly honest but I could easily see her cheating at cards(6).  While she can be quite kind (8), she is hardly generous (5) unless you talk about giving a performance.  She has laughter pretty down(9) even if it is a bit on the practical joke side.  She does have magic flowing through her though with her rainbooms, force of personality, and likability (9).

Fluttershy is another pony who I do not see as devious like ever (9), is almost as generous as she is kind (9), and has the stare as well as a strong strong talent with animals.  As for the friendship of magic, who could turn her away? (9).  She is pretty loyal(8), but laughter is not her forte (5).

AJ could be the element of loyalty (10), but she isn't exactly the most generous pony (5).  She is fairly kind but doesn't relate well outside her species (6).  She has a fairly decent sense of humor (7), but isn't exactly the best at the magic of friendship, her stubbornness and predjudices competing against her initial farmer friendly reaction if no perceived slight is seen (6).

Rarity is pretty good with the social lie but doesn't go out her way to be dishonest (7), and she is moderately loyal (7),  Generosity is definitely not always kind (6).  As for friendships she seems to use ponies more than any of the others, using her wiles to get ponies to do things for her (6).  Her sense of humor is cultured but not absent (7).

• Brohoof 5

While they are each supposed to represent their own element, it seems to me that for the most part they epitomize most of the six.

I mean:

Twilight is definitely a straight shooter(10).  You do not see her lie even as much as AJ.  She is quite loyal(8), She seems fairly kind(7) and generous(7) even if she isn't the standard barer for either of them.  The only thing she kind of lacks is a sense of humor(5).

Pinkie Pie is another very honest pony, not as pathologically as Twi or AJ tho(9).  She is intensely loyal(10), has the magic of friendship in such abundance that she is friends with the whole town(10), is generous almost to a fault (9) and is mostly kind (8).

Rainbow Dash is bluntly honest but I could easily see her cheating at cards(6).  While she can be quite kind (8), she is hardly generous (5) unless you talk about giving a performance.  She has laughter pretty down(9) even if it is a bit on the practical joke side.  She does have magic flowing through her though with her rainbooms, force of personality, and likability (9).

Fluttershy is another pony who I do not see as devious like ever (9), is almost as generous as she is kind (9), and has the stare as well as a strong strong talent with animals.  As for the friendship of magic, who could turn her away? (9).  She is pretty loyal(8), but laughter is not her forte (5).

AJ could be the element of loyalty (10), but she isn't exactly the most generous pony (5).  She is fairly kind but doesn't relate well outside her species (6).  She has a fairly decent sense of humor (7), but isn't exactly the best at the magic of friendship, her stubbornness and predjudices competing against her initial farmer friendly reaction if no perceived slight is seen (6).

Rarity is pretty good with the social lie but doesn't go out her way to be dishonest (7), and she is moderately loyal (7),  Generosity is definitely not always kind (6).  As for friendships she seems to use ponies more than any of the others, using her wiles to get ponies to do things for her (6).  Her sense of humor is cultured but not absent (7).

Good post, i don't know if each one exemplifies the 6 qualities perfectly... 

The two mane ones that exemplify more than 1 are obviously Rarity and fluttershy.

Fluttershy being the one who (i believe) exemplifies the most (4).

While RainbowDash, does lie, however, is honest and loyal, (2) 

Pinkie, Honest, loyalty hasn't been explored, no magic, laughter, generous (3)

Applejack, Honest, loyal, no magic, laughter hasn't been explored, but is generous (3)

Rarity, Lies, not always loyal, magic, and generous (2)

Twilight, Honest, loyal, magic, laughter... not so much, generous , kindness... again i dunno, she isn't always THAT nice to spike.. (3)

So those are mine, sorry for the cluttered way they were written...

I hope this picture of small derpy will help! 

post-14701-0-77443500-1366749364_thumb.jpg

• Brohoof 1

Just because they each bear a specific Element of Harmony doesn't mean that that Element is their sole character trait. The word "harmony" implies that each one only works when in unison with the others. It's both symbolically and literally meaningful.

• Brohoof 2

They can be pretty good without the elements but, when they are all aligned & united together they can use their combined elements to take down any enemy as long as they are in sync.

I agree with you on Twilight. She's almost always honest, she's very loyal to her friends, and she's shown generosity with her books among other things. She's usually very kind, but she has her moments where she might not be the friendliest character, and initially she wasn't friendly at all. Her sense of humor needs work, but that's why she's a polar opposite to Pinkie Pie.

Pinkie Pie is definitely laughter, and she's rarely ever not kind to others. She's loyal, but not completely honest. She's not dishonest though, as she admitted to eating six corn cakes in The Cutie Pox. She seems to lack in generosity, as she's been known to be very gluttonous with her sweets. She also expressed a lot of disinterest in sharing her chocolate-filled cotton candy clouds in Return of Harmony.

Rainbow Dash is blunt, but like you said, she's dishonest in competition, using any means necessary to win. Dash definitely loves to pull pranks and have a good laugh. She isn't overly generous, but I wouldn't say she's completely selfish either. She's probably the least kind of the Mane Six, but she's certainly not mean. Loyalty of course, is her specialty.

Fluttershy is super kind, obviously, and I do believe she's very generous too. She has a mild sense of humor, but does enjoy laughing. She has some degree of loyalty, being that she is a forgiving pony. Honesty is probably her weakness. She's lied on numerous occasions to avoid discomfort or conflict.

Rarity is the most generous, and I think she's definitely pretty kind as a result. She's actually quite loyal. She was quick to forgive her friends when they humiliated her at the fashion show, and she chose her pony friends over the Canterlot snobs in Sweet and Elite, although it took her a while to do so. She's usually honest, but sometimes she bottles up her feelings, as seen in Green Isn't Your Color when she initially didn't tell Fluttershy she was jealous. Rarity struggles with laughter.

And finally, I don't think you're giving Applejack near enough credit. She's not always honest when it comes to telling the whole truth, but she is honest about not cheating (unless seriously provoked) and she's very true to herself as well. She's definitely loyal. She told Big Mac that's she was "The loyalest of friends and most dependable of ponies," and she has demonstrated this many times. Despite being a bit proud, stubborn, and even confrontational when challenged, she is almost always kind and understanding. She's shown on many occasions that she has a very good sense of humor. Griffon the Brush Off comes to mind. When Twilight and Rarity were pranked they just shook their heads. Applejack actually laughed and smiled when she got pranked. I'm not sure what evidence you have to support that she isn't generous, but given that's she's opposite to Rarity, I'll assume generosity is one of her weaker elements. She did give up her bed to Apple Bloom, and one of her main reasons for wanting to make money at the Gala was to replace her Granny's hip. At that said Gala, she gave two apple fritters to Rarity without even charging her. We've seen that AJ's a bit of a hearty eater, but I have yet to see her actually be stingy with anything.

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

The short answer is these ARE the Elements of Harmony after all, and they can all be seen in each of the main ponies without too much effort. Unfortunately, I don't have time to bang out a long wall of text explaining my take on how each of the five virtue elements are reflected in each pony. So I just wanna say I enjoyed Silvadel's OP and Sugar Cube's lengthy reply just now. Well done, both of you. :)

• Brohoof 1

Someone pure enough to be -an- Element of Harmony at all is going to display lots of good traits. It's about what they demonstrate the most, or what their personality is based around.

Of course they're pretty good with each Element of Harmony, they're all good ponies! I do believe, however, that they most exemplify the Element of Harmony they represent.

Regardless, if they did ONLY represent their Element, then we would see Pinkie abandoning her friends all the time because she has no loyalty at all or Rainbow Dash being a stone-faced stick-in-the-mud because she can't laugh at anything. Each of the Mane Six does show more than just their own Element, yes, but I think that they best represent their main Element.

Princess Celestia: "Since you've come to Ponyville, you've displayed the charity, compassion, devotion, integrity, optimism, and of course, the leadership of a true princess."

We all know who she's referring to and I think the statement speaks for itself. With respect to the Mane 5 I agree they are no different than anybody (anypony) and displayed all the elements in addition to their own. If I had to pick one pony I'd pick Rarity as an example of being the most well rounded followed by Fluttershy. The other three can't always escape who they are to be that well rounded I think.

Eeyup. This is what some people out there don't get: that they all represent each of the Elements of Harmony. This is pretty much one of the major plot points of the fic I'm working on: that Dash CAN represent all of the Elements at once and (in my fanon at least) by doing so, along with other requirements she has met, she unlocks the hidden power of the Elements of Harmony.

...I think you know what she becomes after that. wink.png

The fic is titled "Harmonic Spectrum" on FiMFiction if you want to read it. =P

Edited by Super Klonoa

I noticed that a while back as well.

All the characters don't jus represent one trait, they have a mix of other traits as well.

I couldn't have put it down better then what has already been said so ya

They're only PRETTY good with all the elements.

This is friendship!

This is what binds them together.

If they didn't ALL have the elements, they wouldn't be very good friends.

But the big important point is that they all represent one.

If they were all EXTREMELY good with all the elements, the show would be pretty boring.

But that's just my opinion.