Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Help Making a PMV

SparkBrony

Hellooo there bronies,

So, I'm interested in making a PMV, and I was wondering what's the best (free) program to make it on? Also, could anypony give me some tips and pointers on making one in general? Thanks! Oh, and if this is in the wrong place, please move it. :)

~SparkBrony

• Brohoof 1

Free program, huh? That's a hard one. I'd imagine Windows Movie Maker, then edit it with Adobe After Affects (If that's free). Other than that, you'd need to spend at least a little of your hard earned cash to do anything else. I think. Good luck to you on your PMV, though.

• Brohoof 1

You could try a free trial of Sony Vegas if you'd like, it will only last for 30 days so you'd have to work fast, even though making PMVs can be fun and easy but if you don't know what scenes you want then it can be tedious work.

But if you want a free program that you'll have forever than go for Windows Movie Maker

• Brohoof 1

Free program, huh? That's a hard one. I'd imagine Windows Movie Maker, then edit it with Adobe After Affects (If that's free). Other than that, you'd need to spend at least a little of your hard earned cash to do anything else. I think. Good luck to you on your PMV, though.

Unfortunately, nay on the After Effects. If it were free, I'd download it in a heartbeat. laugh.png

Movie Maker always seems to mess with the quality, though. I've tried making videos with it and using every available option to make it come out without artifacts, but no luck. Lightworks is an extremely powerful free program, but it crashes often and the interface breaks my head.

There are options out there though in the $20-$50 dollar range, and a lot of them have free trials. Sony Vegas has a few different scaled-down versions of the expensive "pro" version in that price range, one of which I own and happily use. 

• Brohoof 1

Yeah not much you can do with free software I'm afraid although i think there's SOME open source software for aspiring filmakers that may kinda work. You'll have to search for the names. Those aren't often very user friendly.

I use Vegas now for all my pmv's and it works amazingly well (but it is not free) and is quite resourceful and keeps the quality high in hi-def res (which is very important). I used to use XP's movie maker and it was good but didnt have the hi-def options and often crashed if i really added a lto to it. Windows 7 movie maker was BIG disappointment as it barely gives you any individual frame control or long transitions. I would say avoid both unless you really need something extremely basic.

• Brohoof 1

Unfortunately, nay on the After Effects. If it were free, I'd download it in a heartbeat. img-1432965-1-laugh.png

Movie Maker always seems to mess with the quality, though. I've tried making videos with it and using every available option to make it come out without artifacts, but no luck. Lightworks is an extremely powerful free program, but it crashes often and the interface breaks my head.

There are options out there though in the $20-$50 dollar range, and a lot of them have free trials. Sony Vegas has a few different scaled-down versions of the expensive "pro" version in that price range, one of which I own and happily use. 

@@Stellafera Would you mind telling me what the exact name of the one you use is? I noticed you make pretty awesome PMVs with it and if it's in the $20-$50 price range I think I could afford that :) Thanks!

• Brohoof 1

@@Stellafera Would you mind telling me what the exact name of the one you use is? I noticed you make pretty awesome PMVs with it and if it's in the $20-$50 price range I think I could afford that smile.png Thanks!

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12 (LOOK FOR IT ON AMAZON, NOT THE SONY SITE, IT'S LIKE 50x CHEAPER), but remember; it's not the software that counts, it's the video editor. wink.png

• Brohoof 2

Windows Movie Maker would be the best if you wanted a free program.

For Windows: I recommend Sony Vegas Pro for video editing, but it costs over $500. I would pick up Sony Vegas Movie Studio HD. It's tons cheaper, and it costs $45. I would use Adobe After Effects for a sweet intro.

For Mac:  I recommend Final Cut Pro. Adobe After Effects for the sweet intro.

Unfortunately, nay on the After Effects. If it were free, I'd download it in a heartbeat. img-1432965-1-laugh.png

Why would you even use the worst movie editing software in the universe?

All Adobe products cost money. Adobe products will range you from $350-$640, depending what edition it is, like Photoshop CS6 Extended Edition, or something like that.

Sony Vegas Movie Studio Platinum 12 (LOOK FOR IT ON AMAZON, NOT THE SONY SITE, IT'S LIKE 50x CHEAPER), but remember; it's not the software that counts, it's the video editor. img-1454398-2-wink.png

I know this isn't my thread, but out of random curiosity as maybe sometime I will try the sony vegas trial and make a PMV, maybe for the heck of it. I'd like to ask if you could recommend any places particularly you get good quality clips from.

Just wondering, I may do a PMV someday, not totally sure but I figured I might as well ask so i'll know if I do.

• Brohoof 1

Why would you even use the worst movie editing software in the universe?

Referring to what? Lightworks?

I know this isn't my thread, but out of random curiosity as maybe sometime I will try the sony vegas trial and make a PMV, maybe for the heck of it. I'd like to ask if you could recommend any places particularly you get good quality clips from.

Just wondering, I may do a PMV someday, not totally sure but I figured I might as well ask so i'll know if I do.

I don't download clips. I download episodes. Lets you be FAR more creative. Ponyship has some really great color corrected ones. Just try to find stuff in HD with no watermarks.

• Brohoof 1

I don't download clips. I download episodes. Lets you be FAR more creative. Ponyship has some really great color corrected ones. Just try to find stuff in HD with no watermarks.

No, I was referring to Windows Movie Maker.

Their effects are very laughable. I used to upload videos with Windows Movie Maker, by advertising Club Penguin Private Servers.

After WMM, I used Camtasia Studio.

Then, I progressed to Sony Vegas. Worth the upgrade.

No, I was referring to Windows Movie Maker.

It was when I was trying to use free stuff. I also tried AVS or something too. Realized it wasn't worth the heartbreak and quality loss. laugh.png

(edited)

Oh, ok nevermind I think I was being stupid thinking that downloading clips made any sense really, sorry about that.

I'll have to check ponyship, also excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the difference between the regular and color corrected stuff? I don't really know what color correction totally is since everything always seems fine when I watch stuff on youtube or whatever.

And thank you btw smile.png. You are a great PMV maker who deserves the recognition you get.

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

Ooooohhh, that's where you get the clips from! Umm, where can you download them from? I'm gonna have to do better than recording parts of episodes from youtube videos :P

• Brohoof 1

I'll have to check ponyship, also excuse my ignorance but what exactly is the difference between the regular and color corrected stuff? I don't really know what color correction totally is since everything always seems fine when I watch stuff on youtube or whatever.

Itunes tends to originally have washed out color. Most of the episodes that you've seen on Youtube HAVE been color corrected so that they look more saturated and colorful. I particularly enjoy Ponyship's color correction AND they have all the episodes in 1080p, so I get my episodes from them for consistency. 

(As far as finding them... just search around a bit.)

• Brohoof 1