Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why I dislike My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Flamegeyser

You...... Sir...... is one of the rare kind of MLP haters who have real reasons why you dislike the show.

Instead of just calling bronies "gay" or "autistic", you actually break down the show, and tell what parts you don't like.

Even if you hate MLPFIM, you earn my respect and one brohoof.

• Brohoof 2

I wish all the people who didn't like MLP where more like you :/. 

The way I see it MLP is a show, not everyone in the world likes 1 show, we all have our preferences, differences and what not as humans, therefore we're made differently and like different things, and thats what makes us interesting and not just boring robots.

If you don't like MLP, fine by me, long as you don't torment me for liking it(Not that I won't watch it even if you did anyways)

Atleast compared to most you gave it a chance and an analysis, then judged it. If you still don't like it we can't magically make you.

I do thank you for atleast being different then most and trying it before saying you don't like it, and even more so for not being so hateful towards the subject or us in general.

Again its all your opinions as mine are mine, obviously they won't be the same and thats cool, you watch what you wanna watch I watch what I wanna watch :).

• Brohoof 4

Why? Why join the forum just to say this? Why? I mean sure you make a good argument and what not and aren't the atypical "hater". But why? What did you gain from this? Why do you think people sit and laugh at the show all the time? I know I don't, the show is more than just jokes. I guess all I have to say is that sometimes simple is better. The ponies can have character flaws because they reflect our society and it's issues. Anyway, I still respect your opinion because of how well thought out it was. I just don't know why you felt you had to come onto our forum and say it. Was it to try to show us the other side? I know I don't hate people who dislike the show. I know I don't force my opinion onto others either. Oh well, It took some guts to make this post so I'll give you that.

• Brohoof 1

This thread has done A LOT for my faith in humanity, related to pretty much everything that the bronies here have repeated over and over. (Reasonable critique, gave it a shot, etc.) The level of respect and tolerance being shown here is why I joined this fandom, enthusiastically, about a year ago.

But the OP's last paragraph was what really struck a perfect tone, and by itself makes the thread worth creating.

More of the discussion about this show needs to be on the level seen in this thread. I keep saying that us bronies can make that happen, but we need to be patient and willing to make it happen one non-brony at a time. Not every non-fan is a hater or a troll; we can win them over to the point where even if they don't join us, they respect us. Just as we respect them.

Folks, we've now interacted with one of those people. The importance of that cannot be overstated. No hyperbole there, it's a fact.

Forget everything negative the OP might have said about MLP. Forget about any inclination you might have to say that this post and thread is a waste of time. It isn't. It's proof that we are one person closer to making this a world where our fandom isn't mocked and shamed merely for existing, and many of our members feel the need to hide their brony status from their friends/family/etc. We are one person closer to a world where no one needs a brony documentary to explain why we AREN'T how others want to portray us.

That is a win.

For the show... for the fandom... for everything we must be willing to fight for... that is a win.

• Brohoof 6

Dude, because of this, I don't care if you downright hate the show, hate the fandom, hate the world, You are now officially my favorite non-brony. 

No I will not hug! Hugging is for the soft! angry.png  No offense to anyone....by the way.

Yes, I do agree Luna should be around more often. But unfortunately...it's unlikely. mellow.png 

No I will not hug! Hugging is for the soft! angry.png  No offense to anyone....by the way.

Yes, I do agree Luna should be around more often. But unfortunately...it's unlikely. mellow.png

No one said anything about hugging, potra tonta. You are a silly filly, and should feel ashamed. Go to your room. Stay there until supper.

• Brohoof 2

Oh no you found the flaws!

But the question remains: Did you catch the references? img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png 

I would love to contest some points you make here, alas I'm too lazy! yay.png

PM me and I'll give you philosophical derivation of MLP:FiM.

Avatar? Wise choice. Toph is the best right? RIGHT!angry.png

(edited)

I don't understand why so many of you are getting all "faith in humanity restored" style and praising the OP for his/her maturity. They're just giving their opinion and you're all acting as if they are the only mature disliker you've met.

Edited by Sirwest299
  • Brohoof 1

You know, I have a lot of respect for you. Coming into the 'Belly of the Beast', and giving your points. Although I disagree with you, I show a lot of respect to you. You have shown us that there are 'haters' that are able to give reasons, and can write in proper English. <_<

So, I thank you for coming here, and expressing your opinions. =)

• Brohoof 2

Even though you may not be staying long, welcome to the forum Flamegeyser. I personally am a huge Fluttershy fan even though many others strongly dislike her. A lot of those objections are based on knee jerk reactions and poor first impressions and they don't give Fluttershy a fair and thorough overview. I wrote a lengthy blog about it here: http://mlpforums.com/blog/587/entry-3467-a-message-to-fluttershys-detractorsand-supporters/ What does this have to do with the discussion at hand? The same basic principle applies. I don't like it when people trash MLP:FiM without giving it a fair shake. But I respect those who take the time to watch the program and, after a thoughtful evaluation, offer sound reasons for not enjoying it.

While I like MLP:FiM very much, I'm not blind to its faults. At times I think the fandom overrates the series. All of the grievances you give are things that are despised by one person or another here. Unfortunately, you dislike almost ALL of the unlikable things about the cartoon. I know I can't change your mind, and I'm not going to waste my time trying.

With all of this said, what cartoons DO you like? You mentioned Avatar the Airbender and Spongebob. MLP:FiM is often compared to Fairly Oddparents, Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home, and other cartoons that have garnered a substantial audience much older than the target demographic. This forum does have a general discussion section where non MLP programs are talked about. And I'm glad you think the community here is fine. A new member who writes thoughtful opinions on TV shows is always welcome, even if you never write another thing about MLP itself. You took the time to set up an account and I'd hate to see it languish after just one post. :)

• Brohoof 1

Thanks for sharing your opinion, it's a shame you don't like it but I can respect your decision. I guess the show isn't exactly for everyone, but it's still nice of you to share what you feel. 

It's actually nice to see a person who has given the show a chance and have a different opinion without hating people who like it. 

• Brohoof 1

Well, I'm glad you plucked up the courage to write this on a brony webpage. Most of the haters just write things like OMG MLP SUX BALLS U ALL DIX AND LEWZURS, but not from you.

(edited)

To answer the FAQ, I made this account to get somewhat of an inside look at the show and its fans. So far, you guys are pretty awesome,and I expected nothing less.

Also, when I want to do or write something down, I go and do it. Normally I do not finish it(Devil Jin guide on SCV) but this time I did. I am quite whimsical this way.

Thanks for taking the time to read this, y'all, you guys are such good sports.

Maybe I need to indeed see them in order as Jble has said, and maybe I will eventually warm up about this.

Have a good day.

With all of this said, what cartoons DO you like? You mentioned Avatar the Airbender and Spongebob. MLP:FiM is often compared to Fairly Oddparents, Powerpuff Girls, Foster's Home, and other cartoons that have garnered a substantial audience much older than the target demographic. This forum does have a general discussion section where non MLP programs are talked about. And I'm glad you think the community here is fine. A new member who writes thoughtful opinions on TV shows is always welcome, even if you never write another thing about MLP itself. You took the time to set up an account and I'd hate to see it languish after just one post. smile.png

Well, yes I do like the Last Airbender(not the movie, I am going to write a review about that later) as well as Boondocks, South Park, Futrama, etc.

I used to like the Fairly Oddparents, but I think they had somewhat of a spongebob director shift which made their jokes less suitable and have songs in every episode. I hate new SpongeBob, love old Spongebob. The Legend of Korra is a good show, not as good as the original, and I like most animes, like One Piece or Naruto. My favorite anime is Death Note. I also find Gravity Falls and Phineas and Ferb quite funny.

Sorry for double post.

Oh, looks like thats not how it works, nvm.

Edited by Flamegeyser
  • Brohoof 6

I can see what you mean. I applaud you for coming here and stating your opinion with constructive criticism rather than incessant trolling.

Furthermore I thank you for giving it a chance. 
 I don't mind being trolled by people who at least give it a chance. Especially if they are good trolls instead of "ponies are for fags" etc.
Again Congrats on coming here to be constructive rather than some short lived retarded troll

I personally like the show for many reasons one of which is all the references in it. References to Pokémon, Mortal Kombat, Hidden Jokes,  Homer, Dostoyevsky, and more. 

Perfectly reasonable opinions you have there and I respect that :)

Everyone has different opinions and I prefer constructive opinions rather than the trolling ones. 

Thank you for sharing your opinion :)

(edited)

I don't understand why so many of you are getting all "faith in humanity restored" style and praising the OP for his/her maturity. They're just giving their opinion and you're all acting as if they are the only mature disliker you've met.

Well, I suppose this isn't the ONLY one. This would be the second one I've met, to be exact.

In my experience, this sort of interaction just doesn't happen very often. Or, at least, not yet. I've met far more trolls than people who actually have something worthwhile to say. I suspect the same is true for many others on these forums. For us, seeing maturity and constructive criticism is a refreshing and long, LONG overdue change.

Oh, and the OP's avatar is awesome. XD

Edited by Bhending the Rules
  • Brohoof 1

Maybe I need to indeed see them in order as Jble has said, and maybe I will eventually warm up about this.

That may help as certain things do tend to make a bit more sense but I admit I kind of cheated and started out by watching the Return of Harmony two parter which is the season 2 premier which introduced Discord who is one of the most interest villains I have seen in a while. It was my curiosity about Discord that convinced me to try to the show which until then I was a bit on the fence about, but I did watch the others in order.

Flamegeyser, I understand why you may dislike aspects of the show, but really what I like about it is the innocence and lack of adult themes. It may sound naive, but the whole of point of me watching it is to escape from the real world.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

I have to agree with you that the songs are very annoying and I skip them every chance I get, with the exception of the intro which is very well done and catchy. Some of the plot seems rather contrived at times, BUT seeing as how this is a show about learning imporant lessons it DOES make sense that any and all of the characters would behave oddly during some point.

For example: Twily losing her shit when she doesn't have anything to write to Cel about which is absolutely absurd. Applejack not wanting any help from her friends which is equally absurd seeing as how friendly and humble applejack is. Rarity's constant lies about this and that when it would be much less hassle for her to just tell the truth, and of course who could forget Dashie not wanting to admit he liked The Adventures of Daring Doo.

And then of course there was Pinkie Pie, who couldn't see past her need for attention and just decided to right to assuming that all her friends had abandon her, even though the evidence for such a thing was circumstantial at best! And don't even get me started on Fluttershy who is a complete wimp and has no confidence in herself, allowing herself to be pushed around by everyone, pretty much the exact opposite of rainbow dash.

Oh yeah, and the freaking cutie mark crusaders, you know I love them to death but I just facepalm everytime they try a new method to discover their special talents: hey morons, why don't you just try sticking to what you know instead of trying everything else? What kind of sense does that make? And of course, nobody tells them this, they just keep insisting it's something that'll happen eventually and you shouldn't rush it, but what kind of advice is that? If I were to give them advice I would tell them to stick to what they know how to do best, then keeping doing it a volia, you got your cutie mark.

Even with all those faults though I still love the series, after all what great series is not without fault.

Edited by Guest

I get the feeling that OP wanted to write a blog but decided to post it on a MLP forum instead for some reason. IMO OP should have just bloged it on a different site as it would have lasted longer and gotten more people to read it.

As for his opinion all I have to say is, okay.

(edited)

I get the feeling that OP wanted to write a blog but decided to post it on a MLP forum instead for some reason. IMO OP should have just bloged it on a different site as it would have lasted longer and gotten more people to read it.

As for his opinion all I have to say is, okay.

Honestly I have to disagree with you there, he clearly posted it here because he knew it would raise some eyebrows and generate some discussion, and this being a discussion forum, I think it's perfectly fine he decided to discuss his dislike for the show here. After all how boring would the world be if everyone always agreed on everything?

Edited by Guest

Honestly I have to disagree with you there, he clearly posted it here because he knew it would raise some eyebrows and generate some discussion, and this being a discussion forum, I think it's perfectly fine he decided to discuss his dislike for the show here. After all how boring would the world be if everyone always agreed on everything?

Well you got me there it did bring up some interest in the forum and some interesting insight into how people in the fandom view the show. Also I like that nobody here got overly upset I was assuming someone would (as I've seen on other sites). But still it just felt like I was reading a blog but whatever it's all good.

Eh, based on the criticisms that you gave, I'm not sure that that would change your overall opinion.  The music is generally the same, as well as the humor.  The characters get some episodes of major character development, though it can be hard to see how it affects them later.  Also, the show's creators even admit that the episodes aren't necessarily in order.  Continuity is actually pretty rare throughout the series, and it oftentimes not very obvious.  Then again, who am I to stop you from giving the series a second chance?  I suppose that I'm saying, that if you do want to try watching it again, to not expect your opinion to change in some sort of pony-loving epiphany.

Thanks for the opinions though!  It's nice to see a person who dislikes the show, yet respects the fans.  They tend to be exceptionally rare, especially with the curtain of the internet to hide behind.

I support you showing your opinion. If you don't like the show that's cool I guess. But why did you need to make an account on a forum made for Bronies just to post this? Why didnt you just... Say you didn't like the show? Making an account on a brony forum just to post this wasn't really necessary.