Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

2D style 3D animation?

Dowlphin

(edited)

Some people might agree that 3D models of ponies just don't look as natural as 2D animated ones, in the original style of the show. This has also been a problem when computer game sequels changed to 3D models.

Now I was wondering, because I haven't seen it anywhere yet: Did nopony get the idea to make 3D models that look like 2D? Realistic shadows on the ground might be no problem, although show accurate would probably be even better.

- Remove all gradient shading from the 3D models. Only leave environment light level shading across the whole model.

- Give them outlines, which can be done with a Direct3D shader effect I think.

- Make their proportions as show-accurate as possible.

- Reduce the framerate of their animation or make it less smooth. (Preferrably the latter, because once everything looks 2D style, a high framerate will actually look awesome. When animating 3D models, because of their flexible nature, it is tempting to oversmooth movements.)

You then have the familiar look of the show with more animated flexibility, especially once things move 3D. It also avoids things in pony animation going through the same evolution as it did back then with 3D animation in general where it went though a long process that ended up with insanely complex animated models in order to make things look natural. 3D ponies can look as natural and familiar as the show today. No need to evolve when perfection has been reached.

Sometimes less is more.

Edited by Dowlphin
  • Brohoof 2

I know what your saying! Personally I was kinda disappointed with the ponies in the My little pony app. Sure they sorta looked show accurate, but even the gmod style ponies looked better.

(edited)

Here two non-real 3D animations to demonstrate how 3D models COULD look:

download.gif?1366661185

BTW I think they attached the wings too high there, but never mind.

Tingle_Rotation.gif?1366661183

Imagine how much P(M)Vs could benefit from this style! Since in the show, all ponies are based off of a few basic models anyway, once you got some 3D models done, you could relatively easily create any kind of fully 3D-capable OC.

I might be thinking very far and big now, but I'm thinking "3D Pony Creator". img-1379355-5-xtWXQl1.png

And if you use some voice-modification software, you can give characters unique voices, too. But I have no idea how common those are currently.

Edited by Dowlphin