What does this facial expression mean?

~Scootaloo

What does the facial expression usually mean?  

25 users have voted

1. 1. What does the facial expression usually mean?

• Lying
    • Holding in something (like breath/laughter)
    • Other? (please comment)

I've seen this face made by ponies in fan art, the show itself, and even some [fan] animations:

K2Iv6uZ.png
IvPViKf.png
yZaaJO1.png
Xx6T1pl.png

I'm not sure what it means. The one with Applejack is her liar face, but Derpy almost always has that same expression, and Derpy doesn't really lie or talk much at all. When I look at it, it almost looks like they are biting their lower lip, and holding it, which is something people do when they either are lying or holding something in (ie trying not to laugh).

I can't really make up my mind on what it is. Is it a face that the characters make before laughing, a face when they are lying, or what?
Edited by ~Scootaloo

It depends.

For applejack, of course it's lying because after lying, she makes a weird face hiding the truth of what she meant.

But for others like derpy, it's called a scruch face, a generally silly face with no real expression.

@: Well I noticed that Applejack whenever she does she almost always looks away which is another thing people usually do if they are lying. However Derpy doesn't do that, because as you said that is just her blank expression. I'm still on the fence.

I've only seen a few ponies in the show do it: Applejack, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight (once or twice). 

• Brohoof 1

I think of it as their a lying face, unknown expression, or at least a random scrunch facial expression. So, I really think that it's an expression that comes out of nowhere minus the lying Applejack face.

Looks like the face I make when I'm super mad at something but don't say anything.

On a side note, Applebloom made the same expression in "The Cutie Pox" when she broke her tooth. So all I can say it's not consistent.

It's a scrunch face.

It has different meanings depending on the context.  Sometimes it's lying, or sometimes it's pain, sometimes it may even be the expression they make when they are over-excited.

Simple answer to a simple question, it means Derp. Why does it mean this because she's Derpy and does not need explanation or because buck you thats why. lolz

With Applejack, she is in her discorded form. Basically, she is always lying and holding in the truth. She is known as Liarjack in this case. As for the others, I think it's just a silly face done for fun. Though I will say, the first Derpy pic seems to be like she is confused and about to say something, but doesn't know whether to say it or not.

The meaning I've seen it used with the most is an "Oops, my bad" type face. Like when Derpy realized she and the Mayor were wrestling:

derpy_and_mayor_screenshot_by_shadowhedg

Edit: And yes, when Applejack lies she also does the scrunch face too.

Edited by Slaigh