Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Crystal Requiem: The Rise of King Sombra

EcstaticWind

@@Windbreaker,@@Gloomfury, Selune followed the rest of the group making camp herself. She overheard Captain Aegis' words and felt like she should do something about it... afterall there was quite a fight between him and Mr Gloomfury or something... On the other hoof the earth pony didn't seem like he was that tough at all to her. Too much talk... and too much "show" but not enough... being tough. He was either sensitive and he didn't want to show it... or he was just hiding behind a mask.

"I'll be right back..." he said at Kine and the Captain. He went to see the griffon... he was setting up camp, and like she though...

"You're trying too hard. Don't push the strings so much... they might break." It seemed he was trying to sub-consiously throw his anger at setting the tent. Or perhaps so it seemed to her...

"Perhaps you need a smile or two... or some help. One or the other... so... can i talk to you a bit? I was trying to get to know the members of this expedition."

She hoped she didn;t sound too intrusive. She wanted to be friendly... maybe learn how griffons talk.

Edited by nioniosbbbb

(edited)

@@Icy Void,

Bright Eyes smiled at Midnight. “Yes, please. I’m completely hopeless when it comes to camping. Haha,” He laughed nervously. He thought some more about what happened, but nothing seemed to add up. “Captain Aegis has never once raised his voice, let alone hooves, against another pony before.”

Within a few short moments, Kinetic had a fire going and was boiling some water in a beat up kettle that he had purchased some time before this mission. He inspected the food stores, and breathed a sigh of relief. Aegis, who had been staring into the fire, took notice and asked, “Something we remembered to pack?”

“Yes. I was worried that we wouldn’t have enough tea, but it seems we have enough for everypony here. It should last two weeks, if I’m correct,” Kinetic said. “Shall we offer some to the others? After all, they may need it as much as you do.”

Aegis stretched out and nodded. “Doesn’t sound like a bad idea. But you don’t have to fix my mistake for me.”

“Captain, he was asking for it since the beginning. And I’d find no pleasure in listening to you beat yourself up over something that was inevitable,” Kinetic said. He checked the water in the kettle.

“Maybe you’re right. I’m gonna go see the ice queen,” Aegis said, gesturing in Poppy’s direction.

“Careful around her. She might cut your wings off with harsh words,” Kinetic joked.

“That one I believe,” Aegis said.

Kinetic decided that if everypony was going to have tea, they needed to be somewhere in the middle. With barely a moment’s hesitation, he picked up the whole fire and moved it to the central point of the camp. He then proceeded to fish out a few bags of vegetables and a large cooking pot, which he filled with snow and magically created a second fire. “If only I knew how to cook…”

Aegis approached Poppy’s tent, which was now set up, and knocked on a wood block outside.

“What is it?” She asked from inside her tent.

“I’d like to request your assistance, milady,” Aegis replied.

“’Milady’? Is that how you pick up mares?” Poppy asked, peeking her head out through the tent flaps.

“It worked on my last marefriend. But that’s not why I’m here. Can you cook?” Aegis asked.

“Why do you want to know? Can’t you cook your own meals?” Poppy asked.

“It’s a communal meal, and Kine can’t cook. I don’t know about Silver Heart or Bright Eyes, though.”

“So why not get them to do it?” Poppy asked.

“Because I said you, missy. You haven’t done anything all day except boss everypony else around. Time to earn your keep,” Aegis said, dropping the usual care-free tones from his voice, leaving a deadly serious tone behind.

“You’re serious. Ok, just let me get my coat,” She said.

@,

Kinetic had everything ready, except for the actual cooking. “Miss Darkeye?” Kinetic called out, trying to get Selune’s attention.

Edited by Windbreaker

"Yeah, he didn't seem the type of pony to do something like that. But then I don't blame him, that Gloomfury fellow was practically begging for it." Midnight said as he began using his telekinesis to set up Bright Eyes's tent. "And you're quite welcome, I've never actually set up a tent myself, but I figure is I can build a house from a few trees and a big rock then I can set up a tent." Midnight said to Bright Eyes, the tent quickly taking shape. 'I wonder what Kinetic is up to.' Midnight thought as he saw the hyperactive pony move a fire pit to the middle of the campsite.

@, (Uh, he's a pony not a griffin. He's just from the griffin kingdom and was raised by on and he was in the griffin military. But he's a earth pony.)

Gloomfury looked up from setting up his tent to the mare. "They ain't my strings I'm pulling. And I only smile when I feel like it, and I don't

And sure, you can talk to me, but you might not like what you hear. Just like the head bastard and Mr. self-restraint." He says sarcastically.

@@Windbreaker"I'll be there in a minute!" She said... this wasn't the right time to stop this conversation. Especially when it had just started.

She turned back to the Earth pony. Rough language... another sign of what she thought apparently was a "tough behavior" that or he was too grumpy. 

"You don't have to call him "bastard". He's doing his job... although i guess he could piss of someone like you mister Gloomfury. Don't worry... i don't force anyone to smile... i was just wondering if you'd like to talk about it... how you got here and all. Wait... you did catch my name before right? If not let me introduce myself again... i am Selune Darkeye and i hail from Manehatten." 

• Brohoof 1

@,

Gloomfury looks over the mare and sees that she's being sincere. He nods. "Alright Darkeye. I don't mind a talk. But just be aware that I won't talk about everything. I'm from the Griffin kingdom. I came here to look for some work. Then I got an offer for a very dangerous jog with good pay. And that's why I'm here. So what's your story?"

@@Gloomfury"Wanted adventure... to get to know the world, to make friends... and possible wreck some havoc with my magic. Don't worry... i haven't gotten rusty. I may not look like it... but even if i am a mare i do enjoy some friendly sparring with my comrades. Not that i allow myself to lose... but you know." 

@,

Gloomfury smirks. "A real wiled child ain't ya?  Maybe we could have a quick spar so I can see your moves one day. I ain't had a one in a while." He finishes setting up his tent and checked to see if it were secure. "And if you wanted adventure, why didn't you become a pirate?"

@@Gloomfury, She laughed "My friend Terra would kill me if he had to go after me... he's an Earth pony like you. A real knight you could say... he works for Celestia's royal guard. Made his own armor too! Lion-style. We were good friends back in my hometown in Manehatten. And before you ask... no i didn't live like a rich filly pampered and over-protected by my parents. In fact i was looking for the right opportunity to leave... and well... here i am. So tell me... what are the Griffin kingdoms like? To be honest i haven't met many of them on my travels."

@

Gloomfury thinks it over before he gave an answer. "Well, it;s a big place. Lots of mountains, some towns and cities are set up there. And it's quiet a view from that high up. As for the griffins, they're a strong race. I was raised by one. She was a good being, the first one to ever show me kindness.She was the one who trained me and she taught me what true strength was." He says with pride. 

@@Gloomfury, Selune heard well... and by the story she could only assume that Gloomfury didn't grow up with his parents. He was lucky enough however to be close to a griffon that cared enough to take him in. He was lucky yo know what strength is as he said... there was more into this pony. More than just a tough-looking Earth pony... and the conversation was really interesting for her.

"Aye strength... a peculiar thing it is. It lies in the "us" not the "i"... and no matter how strong one is... well... you know the saying "Divide and Conquer"? It's an effective strategy. Strength lies in numbers, community, friends. Even in the jungle animals form packs to survive. You can count on me to have your back out there..."

@

Gloomfury gives a half smile. He's starting to like this mare. She was the first one to show him equality in this group of pony loyalist. And the first to have his respect as well. He holds out a hoof. "And you can count on me to have yours Darkeye. Unlike the rest of the bunch you seem to know the meaning of respect." He says as he gives the evil eye to the pony who attacked him. @@Windbreaker,  

Edited by Gloomfury

@@Icy Void,

Bright Eyes began working on the tent as well. “A big rock? Did you hollow out a piece of a mountain?” He asked, quickly establishing one reason he was called ‘Bright Eyes’. He then caught a glimpse of Kinetic setting up what looked like a cooking station. “What’s he doing with the cooking pot? Shall we check it out once we’re done here?”

@

“Take your time,” Kinetic called back. “I’ll just have Aegis gather everypony once he gets back,” He added quietly.

Aegis swiftly returned with Poppy in tow. She looked over the supplies they had, and quickly decided the night’s meal. “You’ve got everything I need to make vegetable stew.”

“If that’s what you want to cook, go for it. We’re in no position to complain,” Aegis said. “What I wouldn’t give for a glass of cider, though…” He added under his breath.

“Indeed. Oh, Captain, I need you to do something for me,” Kinetic said.

“Sure. What do you need?” Aegis asked. His tone was almost too casual to be just friends and co-workers.

“Could you inform everypony that the tea is ready and dinner will be along in…” Kinetic paused, trying to figure out how long the stew would take to cook. Scientific genius, but hopeless at cooking.

“20 minutes,” Poppy said, adding different vegetables to the mix. “This is a really basic recipe. I honestly don’t understand how you can’t cook this.”

Aegis grinned. “Last time he did, it nearly ate through the bowls.”

“Perhaps I could take a lesson in cooking. That is one thing my parents never taught me. Well, actually, they didn’t teach me anything. It was the tutors and servants who would teach me things,” Kinetic said, with a dark look on his face.

Aegis took his leave. “This is a good one. You might get a kick out of it, Miss Seed, but I have to make the rounds, let everypony know that we’ve got real food for once, and that there’s hot tea for anypony who wants it.” With that he trotted off, making his first stop at Eclipse’s tent.

Poppy turned her attention to Kinetic. “You’re a noblepony? Funny, you act more like a clown.”

“I care very little for whatever title I possess. I am happy to be a scientist and in the company of one whom I treasure most in the world.” Kinetic said.

“A special somepony?” Poppy asked, not noticing her mood lighten as she spoke to Kinetic.

“Very special,” Kinetic said, staring longingly into the fire.

“Who’s the lucky mare?” Poppy asked. Kinetic gave her a puzzled look.

“My special somepony isn’t a mare. He’s a stallion who is... broken... somewhere inside himself.” Kinetic replied.

Poppy seemed confused. "Inside? Is he sick?"

"In a way...he has a sickness of the soul." Kinetic said

@,@@SilverHeart,  

Aegis approached Eclipse and Silver. “Am I interrupting anything?”

@@Windbreaker,

"Nothing which can not wait." Eclipse said truthfully, eyes snapping to Aegis. Much as he appreciated the chance for discussion with the healer, the topic of importance had passed.

The slur from Aegis hung heavily on his mind: weighing down his thoughts. Still, infighting achieved nothing - not least in an environment as dangerous as this.

"Do you require something? How can I be of assistance?" He asked.

Edited by Cinderscribe

@@Gloomfury, She gives his hoof smiling back. The earth pony was perhaps a bit crude in his behavior but he was still mature enough to understand that not everyone is so offensive against him.

"Relaax... some ponies are just... too "up-tight" in their values. Perhaps they are too serious in this... then again... this is a serious matter. I can tell you this... i can "smell" the evil magic in the air... and it is strong, one that would need our combined strength to face. There is a reason why you and i are here... and i guess the rest of the crew is caught up in the seriousness of it. I think you talked with Eclipse before right? What did you think of him?"

"Oh no, nothing so dramatic as a mountain, though now that I think about it I probably could if I was given a year or two. But anyway, it's actually a meteor that managed to remain mostly intact, and now I live in it and use the surrounding crater as a sort of yard." Midnight said to Bright Eyes, remembering all the days of work he had spent making that meteor into a livable home. "I don't know, but if I had to guess I would say that dinner is on the way. So I guess we probably should check it out once we're done." Midnight said with another glance at the fire pit, seeing Poppy join Kinetic next to it.

@

"I know what you mean, I can smell magic too. And there's enough dark magic here to raise the army of hell itself. And I hurnd that if you take every little thing seriously, you'll just end up a sad mess. That's why I stare in the face of death and laugh cause...Why not? You going to die anyway, might as well go down the way you want. And Eclipse, he's a loyalist prick but he ain't on my list."

@,

“I’m just here to tell you that dinner is being prepared, and there will be hot tea for anypony who wants it,” Aegis said. He noticed Eclipse’s gaze, stern and critical. “Something on your mind, sir?”

“So, Doctor, who is this special somepony?” Poppy asked, becoming quite comfortable around Kinetic.

Kinetic pointed to Aegis. Poppy looked from Kinetic to Aegis in shock.

“You and the Captain? That could raise some serious concerns.” She said.

“We weighed up the risks when we decided to pursue this relationship, Miss Seed. And we didn’t get to our respective positions by pulling favours for rank. My parents did, and I refuse to be anything like them,” Kinetic said.

“You don’t like your parents much?” Poppy asked. ‘I knew there had to more to him, since his file didn’t mention any of this. Perhaps I should stop using those things as the ultimate authority on everypony I work with.

“You might say that. When one hears nothing but the greatness of the Unicorns to the detriment of all other races, it’s hard to like them. Especially given how the servants were Earth Ponies, and they were some of the nicest ponies I knew,” Kinetic said, fond memories flowing back into his mind.

Poppy stirred the stew, thinking about Aegis’ words to Gloomfury. “What about the Captain? How do you tolerate his racism?”

“He’s not racist, but he used to be a lot like Gloomy,” Kinetic replied.

“Explains why you barely flinched when he pulled that knife,” Poppy said.

“You get used to it when there’s a Pegasus whose grim and depressing outlook on life is matched by a temper that burns as hot as the Sun itself.”

“What changed? How did he become his own polar opposite?” Poppy asked.

“It should be in his file,” Kinetic said, purely to see Poppy’s reaction.

“It is, but I’d like to hear it from you, Doctor,” Poppy replied.

“Please, call me ‘Kine’. Aegis usually kept to himself and blew off everypony who came near him, and was rude and disrespectful to everypony else. This one day, he was in a worse mood than usual. One pony we worked with had a ‘brilliant’ idea to try and set him off,” Kinetic said, rolling his eyes as he said ‘brilliant’.

Poppy shook her head. “Yes, what could possibly go wrong with an idea like that?” She deadpanned.

“Aegis flipped out, and put three ponies in the hospital. Then our Captain at the time stepped in. The result: Aegis was left bruised and bloodied. It was months before he recovered, and not once did anypony else show any concern,” Kinetic said.

“But you did. Why?” Poppy asked.

“Because if I didn’t, he’d never know happiness again,” Kinetic replied.

“So, what about Gloomfury? If he’s similar to how the Captain used to be, why don’t you try to help him, too?” Poppy asked.

“I have to help my partner first. And by the looks of it, Miss Darkeye has already taken care of Gloomy,” Kinetic said.

@@Icy Void,

“A meteor? How did you convert it into a house?” Bright Eyes asked. His new friend was even more interesting than he originally thought.

@@Windbreaker,

"I do." Answered the guard formally. "I find you're disregard for the race whom serve as the keystone of the kingdom to be offensive. Regardless of opinion or emotion, such a statement should not be uttered by a pony of your rank, nor any servant of Equestria."

He contained the bulk of his resentment: it was not proper to allow personal feelings to influence words or actions when on duty: his own included. Better to deal with it professionally and move on.

"I would have expected petty comments like that from the traitor but not one of our own." He concluded.

"With a lot of magic. I pretty much just hollowed the thing out and used the material that was inside of it to fill holes or add extra rooms or whatever. Of course, I also had to cut down a few trees for wood, a house made entirely of stone and metal isn't very cozy on it's own. And to be honest, the house is a continual work in progress. Heck, just a month ago I added an observatory tower and expanded my library." Midnight said, glad to have the opportunity to talk about his house with somepony who wasn't actually there. "But I must admit, the biggest reason my house is cozy and homelike is my little sister. She took it upon herself to decorate the place, and she did a much better job than I had been." Midnight added, showing one of his rare genuine smiles thanks to the good memories that went through his mind as Bright Eyes's tent was finished. "So what about you? Do you have any siblings?" Midnight asked Bright Eyes.

@@Gloomfury"There's nothing wrong with devotion... but as the saying goes... "Blood is thicker than water." In the end if you have to choose over duty or loyalty to the family and those who are connected to you by blood... you will choose your own blood. Anyways i have reason to believe Eclipse has just... not opened up yet. Oh well..." She says shrugging and smiling  "Can't have it all now can we? As for the other thing... i like your attitude of life. I am pretty optimistic regardless of situation myself... For example if we have a problem... i won't be the one to fall down on her hooves and curse her fate for the bad things it has brought to me. I despise fate-worshippers... in fact i despise any kind of "destiny", "prophecy", or any other type of manipulation. I like my free will thank you very much! I guess you could say that while i like the Princesses and am loyal to Equestria... i don't feel beholden to them and can work with authorities without being chained to them."

@

Gloomfury didn't know what to say. All his life he felt the same way about his fate. He never when looking for his cutie mark and he never wanted to, cause he felt like all ponies needed a mark on there ass to tell them what they are meant to do in life. And that really annoyed him. He turns to Darkeye and gives a real smile. "That is a very wise thing to say. I'm starting to like you more and more Miss Darkeye."

@@Gloomfury"Heh... watch out! I might just have to pay you back for your kindness!" She says winking and smiling. She might have just found a piece of his heart there... the beggining of a new friendship? Who could say? Trusting in the good will of others led her to discovering something about this pony that others didn't see. Sure he might seem a bit different to others... but perhaps the other didn't look close enough. "Well if you need me anything you only need to call my name! I'll appear out of the blue within a black sphere surrounded by two dark halos with a red glow. It's my signature teleport spell... did you like it?"

@[/

He gives a charming look. "I'm looking forward to it. It's not very often I have a lovely mare, such as yourself, showing me kindness. And that spell was something, the colors really complement your mane and coat. And especially your eyes. And if you need any help from me as well, don't hesitate to ask." He goes into his tent and checks to see if it's secured.

Edited by Gloomfury

@,

“What in Equestria are you talking about? Disregard for an entire race?” Aegis asked incredulously. He couldn’t believe he was being accused of racism from one ill-considered slur. “My previous marefriend, whom I had and still have strong feelings for, was an Earth Pony. So how can you get a disregard for an entire race because I flipped out at ONE Earth Pony? That idea is illogical and stupid.”

@@Icy Void,

“No siblings, but I did have a cousin. We…didn’t get along much,” Bright Eyes said. “He hated that I was shy and quiet, while he was loud and a jerk. Ever since my friend left, the only place anypony has really accepted me is the Captain’s team. Your house sound amazing, though. How long did it take you to make it?”

“Hey, Kinetic, you said that your parents were Unicorn supremacists. Why is that?” Poppy asked, still unaware that she was slowly opening up to others.

“Wealth, power, and delusions of further grandeur do not mix well, Miss Seed. They believed that one day, the Unicorns would rise up and conquer all other races and become the true masters of Equestria. Maybe if I were born in the appropriate era, I would agree with them, but in this day and age, I find such delusions to be antiquated,” Kinetic said.

“You can call me ‘Poppy’ if you like,” Poppy said.

“Oh, no. It’s alright. You’ve opened up quite a bit since we began conversing,” Kinetic said, pointing out Poppy’s change of personality. She couldn’t respond, being at a loss for words. Kinetic continued, “You see? Show some concern and kindness, and things can change.”