Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

private Crystal Requiem: The Rise of King Sombra

EcstaticWind

@@SilverHeart,

Eyes narrowing, Eclipse glanced about and similarly dropped his voice.

"I do not know: all I can say is that L... the princess never informed me of this transfer. Never spoke anything of this problem at all to the best of my knowledge."

"That, and I doubt the integrity of more than one of our party. There's something foul in the air: dark magic so strong I can taste it - it's either greater, or closer than I would like... I am not certain which answer is more unnerving."

Coughing theatrically for the benefit of any would-be eavesdroppers, he stretched, allowed the fire to return to its previous state and loudly added.

"You are more welcome, a fire is the least I can do for one who works such a fine purpose. Should you require anything at all, you have but to ask."

@@Windbreaker, Just another job? With many ponies accompanying them, higher-than-ever security and all that stuff? "I doubt Captain Aegis would be present right here if it was just another job. Call me paranoid but... i believe that he's here to ensure we're not over our heads. Really what brings you here Captain? I doubt it's just the intrigue of discovery." 

@@Icy Void

Bright Eyes looked amazed. Somepony had actually responded to him. He gave a half-hearted smile. “Nice to meet you, Midnight. I, um, I’m sorry for my awkwardness. Do you visit Ponyville much?” 

@,

Kinetic laughed. “Are you suggesting that the Captain stays behind at the office all the time? No, no, madam. He’s the ‘lead from the front lines’ type of pony. He never passes up the opportunity to travel. As for the security, I have no idea. Princess Celestia has been increasingly troubled as of late. Perhaps it has something to do with Princess Luna. She’s been acting strangely as well.”

“One should not put too much stock into rumours. Especially you of all ponies, Kine.” Aegis said.

“Of course, you’re quite right, Captain.” Kinetic said. He returned his attention to Selune. “Surely you read the Captain’s file before you signed up?”

@@Windbreaker"Apparently not so much as you read mine... i know the purpose of this organisation. But in truth i trust my own experiences with the ponies i meet. Maybe this might seem wrong to you... but unless i know a person myself i can't judge them solely from what i've heard. That and the fact that ponies change... don't get me wrong Captain i don't mean to be disrespectfull or anything but... i don't trust papers to tell me how good or not you are. As the writers of books say "Show, don't tell.""

"Well, I'm sorry for my awkwardness too. I don't exactly spend a lot of time with other ponies, as you can probably tell. And I do visit Ponyville on occasion, usually for supplies I can't gather in the Everfree Forest, but also to get some interaction with other ponies besides my sister. But for the most part I stay in the Everfree Forest." Midnight said to Bright, though he hadn't meant to say so much. It just felt good to talk casually with another pony, normally when he talks with another pony they treat him as some sort of outsider, granted that is exactly what Midnight is.

Edited by Icy Void

(edited)

@,

“What can you trust if not your own eyes? Still, I would say you’re lucky that you haven’t read my file. You may not have liked me so much if you saw what was in there,” Aegis said, noticing Kinetic about to open his mouth to speak. “Don’t you say a word, Kine. Seriously. I’d rather that stay in the past for now.”

“Party pooper…” Kinetic mock pouted. He turned back to Selune. “I don’t think you’ll get anything else out of him right now. Suffice it to say that he has his reasons for going into the field. And the fact that if you haven’t read his file, he won’t talk about it. As for myself, I enjoy making gadgets that make our lives easier. But I do it for the inventing and innovation. Leave the rest to the ponies who end up using such devices,” Kinetic said, his normally cold eyes lighting up at the thought of a gadget to toy with.

@@Icy Void

“Haha, me neither. I’m only a new recruit to the Research Division, and…well… I grew up in Ponyville. I didn’t have many friends, only one pony. Until he moved away, that is. But I remember that beautiful sunset.” Bright Eyes said, feeling at ease knowing that he wasn’t the only one who felt like an outcast. Most of all, he had a good feeling about this pony.

@@Th3 Chaos Theory,

“Hey,” Aegis said as he walked up to Bolt Action. “You’re, uh... Sorry, I didn’t get your name before.” He said, giving a sheepish grin.

Edited by Windbreaker

"Yeah, I know what you mean. At my house in the Everfree Forest the only company I ever really have is my sister, though I do have one friend who comes around sometimes. And even though I've never actually seen the sunset from Ponyville, I can say that it has a unique feel to it when seen from the Everfree." Midnight said, getting more comfortable, at least with this pony. "Anyway, what do you think of our mission? I get the feeling that the princesses feel more threatened by this surge of dark magic than they're letting on, otherwise they wouldn't send such a diverse and combat ready group of ponies for guard detail, and clearly they fear some serious magical conflict otherwise I don't see the reason for going through the trouble of contacting me." Midnight asked, curious as to how Bright Eyes will respond.

Edited by Icy Void

@@Windbreaker"I see..." she said thinking. Kine was indeed a pony she would be interested in talking with and someone who she would enjoy sharing her scientific interest with... wanting to get to know him a bit more she continued.

"Unfortunately the team has been keeping me real busy during my employment here... but i am willing to change that... starting with you Kine. So if you're willing to elaborate... how come you're here? There could be many positions that you would find interesting... but why choose this one? Or perhaps you didn't have a choice? Was it adventure that brought you here, or scientific interest? Or maybe both?" 

(OOC: Oh good God. I can't believe I never responded. I am so sorry.)

@@SilverHeart,

Eyes narrowing, Eclipse glanced about and similarly dropped his voice.

"I do not know: all I can say is that L... the princess never informed me of this transfer. Never spoke anything of this problem at all to the best of my knowledge."

"That, and I doubt the integrity of more than one of our party. There's something foul in the air: dark magic so strong I can taste it - it's either greater, or closer than I would like... I am not certain which answer is more unnerving."

Coughing theatrically for the benefit of any would-be eavesdroppers, he stretched, allowed the fire to return to its previous state and loudly added.

"You are more welcome, a fire is the least I can do for one who works such a fine purpose. Should you require anything at all, you have but to ask."

Silver Heart smiled and moved a bit closer to Eclipse, ignoring the reinvigorated flame, "Oh, thank you. You're such a gentlecolt." she said in a slightly louder volume. 

Silver Heart then lowered her voice to a whisper, hoping she was loud enough that only he could hear clearly. "I think I heard somepony mention an expedition to some old tomb the other night. I'm not sure if this is the expedition they were talking about but I...uh...asked around and as far as anypony knew this was the only one for quite awhile. And for what it is worth the destination is beyond the Crystal Empire's territory...which means it's most likely stronger..."

@@Icy Void,

“Um… well, I don’t get asked for my opinion very often, but the Captain is taking this mission far too lightly. As you said, the guard detail is a diverse range of combat ready ponies, and all of you good at your jobs. Well, according to the files I’ve read, anyway,” Bright Eyes said. “Then there’s the fact that Princess Celestia chose Captain Aegis specifically, rather than him volunteering like he usually does. Something doesn’t add up here. And I heard some of the Royal Guard talking about how Princess Celestia sent Princess Luna out of the throne room before seeing you guys. Why would she do that? Uh, sorry… I probably shouldn’t ask stuff like that, especially about the Princesses.”

@,

“Neither, actually. It is out of a desire to control my fate,” Kinetic said. He began absent-mindedly tapping the side of his box once again. “For most of my life growing up, everypony made decisions for me, so I spent my teenage years being angry and rebellious, then quieted down once I learned a harsh lesson. That my actions will always have consequences. Then there’s the travelling. No other Research Division job allows one to see such beautiful sights as we do.”

Poppy stood at a good spot where she could hear everypony. She couldn’t shake the feeling that she and Agent Fields were the only ones taking this seriously. She had read and re-read Captain Aegis’ file several times. If they haven’t figured it out by now, then they’re all idiots. Or if they haven’t read his file by now, they’re still idiots. They can’t see that it’s all just an act? Whatever. Mind on the mission, Poppy. If this goes smoothly, you’ll prove to everyone that you’re not worthless. She trudged forward, right alongside Agent Fields.

"Oh, no harm could come from innocent talk. To be honest I was also baffled as to why Princess Luna had not been present, and now to know that it was her sister that sent her away..., well, it is all quite intriguing. And that fact that the captain was hand picked by Celestia, well that just adds to the mystery and intrigue. But if this discussion makes you uncomfortable, we can change the subject. I know how it feels to discuss something that you'd rather not discuss." Midnight said to Bright Eyes, wondering once more over the rumors that a rift was forming between the sun and moon sisters. He did not say it, but Midnight was also immensely curious as to what his 'file' had said about him. How much did the princesses know about him or his past?

Edited by Icy Void

@@Windbreaker, Selune smiled. There was no question about it... she and Kine had something in common in terms of personality. She understood perfectly the need for independence...

"Destiny, Prophecies, and all that stuff... i hate them too. I too share the opinion that none should chain us from our wishes. You followed your dreams... i admire your conviction. I think we're gonna get along well... what can you tell me about the others besides Captain Aegis? I am really interested to know who i work with." 

Synergy, co-operation, and solidarity... they surely would need every bit of each in order to survive. She knew that this journey wouldn't be easy, but she was not the one to pessimistically fall down and curse her fate. She was determined to persevere... to be able to tell the tale to ther grandchildren. That was a nice thought... and it warmed her despite the snow and wind. 

@@SilverHeart,

"If there are traces - however faint - from a source as far as that... Luna have mercy should whatever radiates it still be alive." Eclipse muttered with a concerned frown: something so dangerous should have brought the attention of the entire Luna guard, perhaps the Solar guard too. Why were there so few of them, and only a hoof full of those actual trained combatants? "Thank you, Miss Heart. I shall do all in my power to protect us from harm - even if I suspect I was brought under ulterior motive."

Nodding at the healer respectfully, he did his best to listen into the others: one mentioned the Princess and the recent rumours he had seeming failed to stamp out - the poor monarch had enough problems without foals making up stories about her to alienate her further...

@,

"You're welcome, if you don't mind me asking why are you concerned with ulterior motives for this operation?" Silver Heart asked hoping she wasn't annoying him by continuing the conversation.

(OOC: If you dropped from the RP and I mentioned you I apologize, my memory isn't the best. Also we'll be doing a timeskip after all the OC's go to bed.)

@, @, @@Icy Void, @@Th3 Chaos Theory,@@Gloomfury,  

Snowy Fields used his magic to create another platform so that the entire expedition could see him. "This is where we will make camp for tonight. Poppy Seed and I will stand watch tonight. I suggest you start making camp."

@@SilverHeart, "Aye, head bastard." That was the first thing he said sens his dispute with Snowy. Gloomfury was pissed through out the hole walk. He now loathed him with every fiber his being. And when this mission s over, he might kill him one day. And he only kills others who have it coming, and Snowy really dose. But he dose what he was told  and gets his camp ready.

(edited)

@@Icy Void,

“No, it’s alright. I just thought somepony was going to yell at me for spreading rumors. Anyway, I keep wondering why Princess Celestia would send her sister away. Sure this mission affects Princess Luna as well, right?” Bright Eyes asked, with his curiosity in full swing now. 

@,

Kinetic smiled to himself. She starting to sound like me. How intriguing… He thought. “Perhaps one day, I shall tell you the story of how I came to learn that harsh lesson. Now, about our remaining two colleagues. Bright Eyes is a Pegasus with confidence issues and smaller than average wings which he hides under his coat. But he has a good head on his shoulders and his curiosity has served him well thus far. Miss Silver Heart, on the other hand, I know nothing about. Outside of Aegis shouting ‘We need a medic for this one’, I haven’t spent enough time with her to really find out too much,” Kinetic said. He chuckled to himself. “The interesting thing is, I’m a sociopath, or at least, that’s what I call myself, yet I make a point to know the ponies I’m dealing with.”

@@Gloomfury,

Aegis spun around fast as he shot Gloomfury a vicious glare, completely at odds with his former care-free demeanour. "Show some respect, gryphon boy. And don't even think of drawing that knife."

Edited by Windbreaker

"It has too, there is no way a burst of dark magic that potentially threatens the safety of all of Equestria should'nt concern both princesses. Although I must admit, I have been hearing rumors that the sisters aren't getting along as well as they used to, which could explain why Luna was sent away. And if those rumors are true, I don't want to imagine what a schism between the princesses could cause." Midnight said to Bright Eyes. While he waited for Bright's response, Midnight began making his shelter. While he was sure that somepony had a spare tent, Midnight always opted to build his shelters with the available resources since it was a skill he already had and meant he didn't need to carry a tent. In this case Midnight began using his magic to dig a hole in the snow, which he planned to make into a little cave-like structure with a raised platform for a bed.

• Brohoof 1

@@Windbreaker, Gloomfury looks at  Aegis with eyes full with pure anger and hate. "Respect is earned not given. And I would not wast my knife on someone who is not worthy of respect. I will do what I am told and I will not raise my blade against  anyone here. But I will not show respect, do you get me shit-stain?"

(edited)

@@Gloomfury,

Aegis seethed with rage. He calmly walked up to Gloomfury…and slugged him three times across the face, and followed up with two swift kicks to the stomach. While he was down, Aegis put his hoof down on Gloomfury’s throat  “You’re right. You will do what you’re told. And I told you to show some respect. Disobey that order, and you won’t have to worry about Agent Fields killing you. I will send you back to that shithole they dragged you from IN PIECES! I don’t care where you were trained, but in the Equestrian Royal Guard, we show respect for our superiors and those superiors respect their troops in return. I have no such respect for you when you will not reciprocate. And I wouldn’t even think about fighting back; I’m far too much for you to handle. Now stay down where you belong, you worthless mudpony!” Aegis said, moving his hoof and letting Gloomfury up. The aura around him seemed to calm down again, almost as quickly as he had flared up. He was like a storm personified.

Poppy wasn’t sure how to react. Part of her wanted to scream at Aegis, to scold him for his excessive force and racist slur. But another part of her wanted to run, to hide from this pony. “That’s enough. I will not have further violence. Captain Aegis, you will control your temper and swearing henceforth. Am I clear?” She ordered, silently bracing herself.

“Yes, ma'am. Sorry for the trouble.” Aegis said quietly.

((OOC: Sorry for the godmodding, but no military force would tolerate Gloomfury's behaviour. And this was the only thing we could think of without killing anypony.)

Edited by Windbreaker

(I'm angry.) @@Windbreaker,  Through that Gloomfury didn't show any pain whatsoever, He stands up and dusts himself off and wipes the blood off his face with his cloak. And his glazed over with pure fury. 'Another for my list.' He thought. "I don't know what they teach you in the royal guard, but they sure don't show you how to punch. Just pathetic." Then he went back to setting up his tent.

@@SilverHeart,

Eclipse shook his head slightly with a frown.

"I do not know... The Princess was not present when we departed. There has been ample opportunity for her to inform me of this... a d why would she not? Yet not a word has been said.

He grunted, eyes locking on Aegis for a brief moment with a look of pure loathing as he chastised the traitor: the violence was very much what he deserved, but a hatred of a race in general?

He quickly reset his emotions before his distaste could be seen.

"Also, with the malicious rumours that have been spread about her... I do not know. Best to not think about it: the truth will come to light when it does."

@@Icy Void,

Bright Eyes could barely believe it. Captain Aegis, the one pony who never got angry at anything, had just flipped out and attacked a member of the security team. ‘Um, maybe I’ll hang around my new friend for a while and help him out until the Captain cools off. That’s probably the best course of action for now. Besides, he’s got Kine with him.’ He thought. “Would that be a good example?” he asked, gesturing at Captain Aegis attacking the moody mercenary.

Aegis sighed. He messed up by losing his temper and starting a fight. It brought back unpleasant memories. Memories he’d rather forget. A tear ran down his cheek. “Dammit!” he said, punching the side of the box. The panel flipped down and spilled camping equipment on top of him, almost burying him under a pile of sticks and cloth.

“Captain!” Kinetic rushed to help Aegis, and swiftly moved the tents from on top of him. Thankfully, he wasn’t hurt, but the look on his face was sad. “Captain, are you alright?” Kinetic asked.

“No, Kine, I’m not. But thanks for asking…” Aegis said, getting up and brushing snow off his coat. “We should get the tents set up.”

“Agreed. The sooner we get it up, the sooner I can make some tea,” Kinetic said, grabbing one of the unassembled tents and setting up the basic frame.

“What’s the tea for?” Aegis asked, setting up some of the basic framework himself.

“As a young colt, the servant ponies would bring me tea when I was sad. They also brought cake, but I’m not sure if we have the ingredients for it,” Kinetic said, reinforcing the frame with magic and laying down a wooden floor inside, also reinforced with magic. “I believe it’s meant to cheer ponies up, but I’ve never had the chance to try it myself.”

“I don’t think it works like that, Kine,” Aegis said, flying up with the tent cloth and draping it over the frame.

Kinetic fastened the cloth to the wood floor, double checking to make sure that it’s secure. “Didn’t you get tea and cake when you were upset?” Kine asked. This was one of those times when he seemed to be like a large foal. If he was hiding something, he hid it well.

Aegis shook his head. “Either I got told off for being an idiot then Dad would give me a heart-to-heart later, or I’d try not to bother Dad with it, and he’d tell me to let it out. Then I’d cry.”

Kinetic smiled innocently. “A sign of a sensitive soul.”

“You’re a strange one, Kine. But I guess that’s what I like about you,” Aegis said.

“Of course. You wouldn’t want me any other way, would you?” Kinetic asked, grinning mischievously.

"You oddball. Hey, remind me to explain things to the team, ok? They at least have a right to know, especially now," Aegis said.

Poppy watched the two from a distance. Aegis seemed to be more relaxed and easy-going around Kinetic, who in turn seemed less crazy around Aegis. She felt a pang of jealousy as she went to set up her own tent. ‘Who needs friends, anyway? Friends won’t help me get where I need to go. And they’ll just slow me down anyway. I’ll prove myself to everypony on my own.’ She thought, determined to complete the mission, but she had to ask herself, was she willing to sacrifice lives for the sake of the mission? 

"Just add some godly alicorn royalty powers, then I guess so." Midnight said with a laugh. Secretly though, he was worried about Aegis's outburst. The captain sure didn't seem the type to lash out like that, even if that Gloomfury fellow had practically been asking for it with his rebellious behavior, granted Midnight had only just met him that day. "So, since you're on the research team I guess you got a tent? If you want, I guess I could help you set it up." Midnight offered Bright Eyes as he finished his own snow cave shelter.

@,

@@SilverHeart,

Eclipse shook his head slightly with a frown.

"I do not know... The Princess was not present when we departed. There has been ample opportunity for her to inform me of this... a d why would she not? Yet not a word has been said.

He grunted, eyes locking on Aegis for a brief moment with a look of pure loathing as he chastised the traitor: the violence was very much what he deserved, but a hatred of a race in general?

He quickly reset his emotions before his distaste could be seen.

"Also, with the malicious rumours that have been spread about her... I do not know. Best to not think about it: the truth will come to light when it does."

"Oh, that would be rather odd...." Silver Heart stated as she watched Aegis assault one of the mercenaries for his boorish behavior. Deciding that she didn't want to watch that scene too much longer she turned back to the Lunar Guard. "Um, judging by how you phrased that it sounds like you and the princess are quite close?"

@@SilverHeart,

"In a way, I suppose. It is more a matter of trust built from familiarity. I was assigned as a personal guard some time ago and was never reassigned." Answered Eclipse stiffly. "When they finally tried, I argued against it but they told me that nothing short of her direct intervention would change matters."

The researcher up ahead, Kinetic, was babbling some nonsense about tea and cakes: while loath to admit it, Eclipse considered how much a hot drink would indeed have been appreciated out there in the wastes.

"I know, I'm hardly a fantastic teller of tales. What of yourself? How does a valuable healer find themselves assigned to a place like this?"