Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Breaking the Cycle: Chapter 4

DukeofCanterlot

No more distractions, thought Twilight to herself. She flew home, finally feeling some level of comfort using her wings. That brought a smile to Twilight's face. Flying was tough for her at the princess summit, but it did have some advantages. Hmmm.. Fluttershy is probably way up in the sky somewhere. Did she go back to Cloudsdale? No, she wouldn't do that.. or maybe that's the last place anypony would expect to look and that's where Fluttershy was right now. Fluttershy should have known that Twilight wouldn't be able to stop thinking about where Fluttershy would have gone.... was this considered a distraction? Twilight had to save her friends!

Twilight made it back home. Odd though, there were lights on in the house. Did Spike forget to turn them off three months ago? No, that seemed far too unlikely. She opened the door and couldn't believe what she was seeing. It was Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. And they were reading Twilight's books. Well.. Twilight could see at least they were still friends.

Apple Bloom squealed, "Twilight!! I missed you so much."
"Yea, me too, but what are you three doing in my library?"
"Earning our reading cutie mark", said Sweetie Belle.
"And Ponyville has become an awful mess.. Applejack is hating on Rarity."
"Yea, and Applejack didn't even want me and Apple Bloom to be friends anymore."
"I told her that Sweetie and I weren't friends anymore and Applejack stopped bothering me about it. But this has kinda been our clubhouse.."
"Well, I think it's great you three are reading books", said Twilight.

"Oh yea, Rainbow Dash told us that reading is super cool", said Scootaloo. 
"We reckon she's right, she assured us it was for more than eggheads", added Apple Bloom.

"Where's Spike", asked Sweetie Belle.
"Oh, right now.. he's on guard duty. We have Pinkie Pie and Rarity at Sugarcube Corner. It was the only way we could stop anypony from killing one another.. since Applejack and Rainbow Dash still are pals."
"Wait a sec, what about Fluttershy?", asked Scootaloo.

"Yea, don't forget Fluttershy", piped Apple Bloom.

"Well, girls.. our friend Fluttershy.. she has left Ponyville."
"Oh no!", the CMC said at the same time.
"Fluttershy also told me via mail that she didn't want anyone to look for her. She wants to be left alone.. I can only imagine how terrified Fluttershy is right now", said Twilight with sorrow.
"We'll help Fluttershy and get our saving Fluttershy Cutie Mark", said Scootaloo.
"I'm surprised you care, since you know, Rainbow Dash doesn't like Fluttershy anymore", said Sweetie Belle.

"Once Rainbow is cured of this curse, things will be a-ok."
"I'm sad Fluttershy is gone, it was actually her idea to let us use your library", said Apple Bloom.

"Well..uh..that's good to know", said Twilight awkwardly, "so have you found anything in my books about stopping what ever is afflicting our friends?"
"What's afflict?", asked Apple Bloom.

"To cause harm", answered Twilight.

"Nah, so far, we've just been reading Daring Do books."

"Well, I have to study. I think it's great you girls are reading. Here, take the whole Daring Do series, but I need peace and quiet to save Ponyville."
"But where will our clubhouse be?", asked Apple Bloom.

"Either inhabit Fluttershy's cottage or.... go back to your old one and stand up to AJ", said Twilight with a hopeful grin.

"Uh.. by the tone of your voice, I think you want us to take the second option", said Scootaloo.

"But we're gonna opt for the first one", said Apple Bloom.
"TO FLUTTERSHY'S COTTAGE!!", the three yelled in unison. 

"Ugh.. you know nobody likes it when children do that."
"Yea, except children", retorted Apple Bloom. 

"Thanks Twilight for having such a great library", said Sweetie Belle.
The three fillies took the Daring Do books with them and left.

Twilight thought to herself, "At least, they weren't hit with the curse...but let's see what my books tell me", "hmmmm...." Twilight began her research. 

*hours later*

Nothing seems to add up... what can I do? I was supposed to figure this out. But Star Swirl the Bearded never conjured up a spell remotely similar to what is occurring now.. but what can create such hate? The last time Twilight had heard of such emotions was 200 years ago in the Great Equestrian War, what caused that war anyway.. Twilight felt herself getting sleepy, no Twilight Sparkle..you must stay awake.. you must.. you must.. but she was too exhausted and succumbed.

Twilight opened her eyes, it was dark.

"It is adorable seeing you do all of that research, Twilight Sparkle. Things may seem dire now but believe me when I say this, you will prevail over those weak-minded ponies you befriended in Ponyville, hissssssssssss......"
"You're just a figment of my imagination. I don't need to listen to anything you say."
"If that's the case, Twilight, why are you imagining me? Perhaps I am your true feelings. Come on. They are all pathetic. They are all weak and petty. So easy to manipulate. You are destined for great things, they are not."

"That is irrelevant. They are still my friends."
"Why don't you be my friend instead?"
"How can I? I know nothing about you. I have not even seen your face.. I command you to show yourself as a Princess."
"Oooh.. I am so terribly intimidated. You probably don't even remember who I am.. but Twilight Sparkle.. you have made an incredible impact on my life...."
"Are you the one who hurt my friends?"
"I don't know, am I? Apparently, you have made me up, Twilight. So does that mean you are the one who hurt your friends?"
"This is ridiculous. You aren't real."
"Hisssssssss.....you will learn more about me soon enough... but I know where Fluttershy is hiding."

"Huh, you do. Tell me right now."
"If I know, that means you already know the answer."

"You are useless. Go away."
"How would you dare say that about the pony you once called your best friend?"
"What are you talking about?"
"I think you know, Twilight.. can you really trust other ponies?"
The light turned on. She saw a pony in a dark robe, but with wide eyes.

The robed pony said, "I lied to you about one thingssssss... one of your friendsssss is worthy of a future. Thisssss pony issss arguably better than you in many respectssssss....I should know...", the robed pony began to levitate into the air.

"You...you...oh my goodness... you know where Fluttershy is... but this is a dream, it cannot be real..."
"Ah, you are smart after all, Twilight Sparkle.  You will be useful...."
"Take off that stupid robe or I will do it for you."
"Fine fine..I shall do so..." 

Twilight squinted because she could barely recognize the pony, a dark blue stallion with a lanky frame, his wings were white. The last time she saw him, it was five years ago... "Brian?"
"Yesss... Twilight Sparkle... remember me from Canterlot Elementary..."
Yes, she did. Brian was her best friend when she was little. Brian was a timid yet brilliant pegasus, incredibly kind.. in many ways, like Fluttershy. She felt great guilt for neglecting their friendship after she became involved with magic school. Twilight would only contact Brian if she needed help figuring something out, this was something she later realized Brian probably resented. The two haven't spoken in five years.

"I am not really Brian...but you helped Brian when he wasss little... the same way you have helped Fluttershy...."
"What is Brian up to now?"
"Hell if I know... but I can accessss your memoriesssss..... some day, I will show you my real form..."

Twilight woke up. She was alone. What the hell was that dream? Brian? The friend she treated so poorly all of those years ago... she cried, "I am sorry, Brian, for failing you... but I won't fail Fluttershy. I am going to find her."