8 users have voted

1. 1. Do you want a comic section?

• Yeah, seperate from show discussion and SCC entirely.
    • Sure, a subforum in either Show Discussion or SCC would be splendid.
    • Nah. Just make it clear where comic discussion belongs.
    • Nope. Keep it as is.

Did a quick search, and to my knowledge, nopony has brought this up yet.

Discussing the comics is kind of a grey area. They're canon material, so they don't belong in Sugarcube Corner, but they aren't part of the show per se, so they don't exactly go in Show Discussion either.

On top of that, due to the higher pay wall, there are many users who have not read, or are not up to date with the comics, even when they keep up with the show.

Now, if Equestria Girls and Alicorn Twilight can get their own sections, I figured why not do the same with the comics?

I believe the reason behind the addition of the 'Equestria Girls' and 'Alicorn Twilight' subsections was due to the amount of controversy surrounding both of these topics and the high volume of discussion that would/did result from it.  I think it would also be safe to assume that this was to keep the forums as streamlined and organized as possible, guiding the influx of new discussion separate from the already-expansive 'Show Discussion' section and deterring any sort of confusion as a result.  However, I cannot say for certain as I was not a part of their implementation.

Now, keeping what I have said in mind, I cannot see a separate section exclusively for the comics justifiable.  As far as I know, the announcement of the comics' release was not met with the amount of controversy and heated debate that surrounded Twilicorn and EQG,  and thus would probably generate a marginal amount of discussion in comparison.  There is actually a thread in Sugarcube Corner dedicated the the comics here that demonstrates my point here: http://mlpforums.com/topic/40451-mlpfim-comic-book-series-discussion/.  Based on when this thread was first started and the amount of replies it has received thus far would show that a separate section would be of little benefit.

In regards to where the discussion of the comics belong, they seem to be just fine as it is now in Sugarcube, as I see the comics in the middle ground where they are not fully canon but cannot be considered fan made material.  In fact, there was a discussion about this very topic some time ago (I will provide a link if I am able to locate it) and I believe the general consensus was just as I said.  With no foreseeable impact upon the show itself, I think the comics cannot be fully taken in as canon and do not belong in 'Show Discussion.'  With this in mind, the comics would be more appropriate in Sugarcube, just as they are now, as it is a entity outside of the show itself but still quite relevant to the MLP franchise.

Keep in mind that these are solely my thoughts on the matter but I do hope that I was able to explain myself well enough to answer your question.

Edited by SkyBound
  • Brohoof 2

Did a quick search, and to my knowledge, nopony has brought this up yet.

Weeeelllllllll vsTALhM.png

> http://mlpforums.com/topic/53274-mlp-comic-subforum/

> http://mlpforums.com/topic/56103-comic-subforum/

> http://mlpforums.com/topic/42163-comic-thread/

If anything were to gain a subforum or something somewhere, the comics would probably be a decent candidate, but I'm afraid that the staff are very conservative with forum sections. The comics don't recieve nearly enough regularly posted topics to warrant them having their own section. As Sky pointed out above, the sole reason Twilicorn got her own section is because those topics were, quite literally drowning Show Discussion in a sea of drama and repeated debates. Equestria Girls was very much the same way, plus, being another animated pony entity published directly by Hasbro, had to have some kind of sectional presence, somewhere.

I, too, think comic topics are fine in Sugarcube. They're not 100% canon, they're just as close as can be due to working with the show's writers to keep maximum continuity, so they belong in Sugarcube a lot more than Show Discussion. I have however, as the second topic link above suggested a while back, batted the idea around the tennis table about merging any relevant overall comic threads and pinning that, seeing as I do think the comics are a huge deal, and should be given some kind of attention. I might look around Sugarcube today and see how feasible that'd be. I know a pinned topic isn't the same as a section, but it'd probably be the closest we're going to realistically get.

• Brohoof 1