Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Your thoughts on organized My Little Pony CCG online play via video chat

skylights

So as many of you know (and are probably greatly excited about - I know I am), about a month from now the MLP CCG game will be released. I was thinking, many users here at mlpforums will likely have a hard time finding anypony to play with in real life.

Because of this, I thought I would try to gauge interest in organizing some kind of play-online league utilizing a free online video call service such as Skype or Google Hangouts. This is of course just the very earliest planning phase, and it very possibly may never happen at all if nopony is really interested., but my thoughts are that organized league play and for-fun pickup games would be a great project. There would definitely be some wrinkles to iron out (potential privacy issues with this sort of face-to-face interaction for example), but I think it would be a lot of fun and rewarding for all involved.

So what does everypony think about it?

This is kind of a derp derpy_emoticon2.png  moment for me but what exactly is CCG online play via video chat? Sorry if I'm straying too far from the topic heh sad.png

CCG = collectible card game, like Magic or Pokemon or Yugioh. Playing online I mean like the players using the video chat service to see each other while playing, a virtual way to sit at opposite ends of the same table. I used to do a similar thing when I played magic forever ago.

Edited by skylights
  • Brohoof 1

I would be up for that, I would never be able to find people to play with I'm too much of a loner at my college, I know there are bronies there but I don't know any of them personally.

• Brohoof 1

I think if you can get it to work, the more power to you! I would totally support something like that. There are going to be some pretty big hurtles to overcome. I know that when playing these sorts of games, if there is a card that I am not familiar with, I need to read it over and asking the other player to hold that card up to the camera would be a bit cumbersome. Also, as cards interact with other cards, put counters/buffs on opponent cards, or steal opponent cards it is going to be tricky to keep track of if you don't have identical decks.

If you could get somebody to make something like the magic:the gathering on-line system, that would be ideal. Otherwise it is going to be hard to determine if this game will work via web cam until we know all the mechanics.

• Brohoof 1

I think if you can get it to work, the more power to you! I would totally support something like that. There are going to be some pretty big hurtles to overcome. I know that when playing these sorts of games, if there is a card that I am not familiar with, I need to read it over and asking the other player to hold that card up to the camera would be a bit cumbersome. Also, as cards interact with other cards, put counters/buffs on opponent cards, or steal opponent cards it is going to be tricky to keep track of if you don't have identical decks.

If you could get somebody to make something like the magic:the gathering on-line system, that would be ideal. Otherwise it is going to be hard to determine if this game will work via web cam until we know all the mechanics.

As for the card rules, I'm going off the assumption that there will be a searchable card database online somewhere so you could read the rules on your opponent's card without having to maneuver it in front of a camera. As for the rest, you're right. From what I've seen about the game there won't be any cards that have to be positioned in the opponent's play area, so hopefully it can all be managed without that. Or at the very least, an easy alternative solution can be used.

But yeah, I agree it's largely going to depend on the mechanics.

From what I've seen about the game there won't be any cards that have to be positioned in the opponent's play area, so hopefully it can all be managed without that. Or at the very least, an easy alternative solution can be used.

From the demo that we've seen there is a card in the Twilight deck that has you move your card onto one of your opponent's friends. I'm sure this could be solved with a marker of some sort. 

I'd be down to try this out if enough people are interested. It probably depends on how the game actually plays though. Hopefully it's not confusing to play through a video chat. 

• Brohoof 1

• 3 weeks later...

I've done this already works well if both players know how to play. Because if you don't know the card you need to ask to bring the card closer to the camera to read the effects. I thought of the idea thinking it would be very sucessful but honestly it was bad at times due to the limitation of the vision we get even with the webcam, if we were able to stream at 720p+ and have a very good view of the opponent whole board then yes it would do fine.
But it really is a lot better to attempt to organize a MLPCCG around your area there is a lot of shy people that really would love to play this game. Just try to advertise at some Highschool/College about MLPCCG its your best chance to get some private messages about playing together.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 weeks later...

Let me in on this! I haven't played a CCG in ages, so don't expect a challenge... Still need to learn the game too...

heh.. so much for the concept of MLP being strictly for "little" girls.. Most kids the age range people assume its for wouldn't be able to get half of this stuff I'm seeing here...

, if we were able to stream at 720p+ and have a very good view of the opponent whole board then yes it would do fine.

I know my camera does up to 1080 through skype..  just a matter of connection after that... :P

Edited by GrimCW

Sounds like there's enough interest to at least get a small game going. Aside from my starter decks my cards are still en route unfortunately, but those of you interested in trialing it, I was thinking I'd like to test out remote play using Skype and/or Hangouts this Saturday. Who's up for a test run to see if this can work?

Edited by skylights

Maybe we can get someone in here to program a simple MMO game version, like has been done for Yu-Gi-Oh?

The problem with that is it would be a reasonable substitute for the physical cards, which means people will be less inclined to give Enterplay money. This only works with Yugioh because it's actively sponsored by Konami.

The problem with that is it would be a reasonable substitute for the physical cards, which means people will be less inclined to give Enterplay money. This only works with Yugioh because it's actively sponsored by Konami.

That does post a problem. 

I'd be up for it, assuming I'm ever able to get my hands on the cards over here! 

Also, I reckon it may be a good idea to build a little database of the currently available cards to help you when you're unsure of what your opponent's just played. Search for the card name, check out the values and abilities, boom - you're sorted!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I say it should be on google hangouts more people at once for free. I will volenteer to organize it. I really want to actually be able to play with people!