Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why does Pinkie need a second voice for singing when she can sing already?

Never2muchpinkie

It's just a curious thing to me. Several times Andrea Libman has done singing for Pinkie Pie, and she sings for Fluttershy all the time, so I'm wondering why they need a second voice for her. Don't get me wrong. The smile song is one of my all time favorites from the series and Shannon Chan-kent nails it hard.

• Brohoof 1

I think  Shannon Chan-kent was singing for Pinkie Pie early on in demos, and they liked the job she did so she got the singing part, eg here is a demo version of the theme song 

And maybe she's a professional singer where as Andrea Libman isn't: or prehaps SCK can't actually talk like Pinkie only can sing like her. But I can't honestly say that I know........

Edited by Asherdangerdash
  • Brohoof 1

I think I remember reading somewhere that Andrea Libman has trouble keeping Pinkie's distinctive high-pitched voice when singing, so they had to get Shannon Chan-Kent for those parts. Andrea doesn't have the same problem singing with Fluttershy's voice.

• Brohoof 3

Fluttermena has it right.  Andrea did say in an interview with Everfree Radio that while she could sing (listen to her sing as Fluttershy) and she's obviously great at Pinkie's speaking voice, *singing* in Pinkie's high pitched voice could be rather difficult. 

• Brohoof 1

I think I remember reading somewhere that Andrea Libman has trouble keeping Pinkie's distinctive high-pitched voice when singing, so they had to get Shannon Chan-Kent for those parts. Andrea doesn't have the same problem singing with Fluttershy's voice.

Pretty much what I was gonna say. lol.

Yea, she doesn't have any problem singing as Fluttershy because Fluttershy's soft voice never hits any high notes for singing. The one exception could be "So many wonders" where she's singing as a filly.

It looks like everyone here pretty much as the reason down. But just to sum it up - it can be difficult to maintain a character's voice while singing if there's a difference to your real voice (e.g. if it's too fast, high-pitched, or even has a accent) and Andrea finds it difficult to sing as Pinkie. Shannon Chan-Kent actually performed the demos for all the songs (I think), not just Pinkie Pie's, but they liked her Pinkie voice so much they had her cover for Andrea.