Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Cello sonata

Antismurf9001

Well, after finishing the semester-long composition seminar, I have this cello sonata to show for it.  I wouldn't say that it's anything too special, but I've put my last two pieces up here, so I might as well put this one up as well.  A lot of credit for this goes to my really awesome professor, who guided me through pretty much the entire thing.  Well, except for the ending, which is likely why it's the weakest part...

The piece was created using Sibelius 7.3.1 and Sibelius Sounds.  Sorry that it's not a live recording...  I might get one eventually, but that won't be for several months.  Even so, the sound library that Sibelius uses is really quite good.

I'm open to any and all comments that you may have! :)  Hopefully, you get some measure of enjoyment out of it.

• Brohoof 4

• 4 weeks later...

I just listened to it twice. Im a sucker for this kinda music. I Love it.

Thanks!  Glad to hear that you enjoyed it.  Anything that you think could be improved?  Personally, I don't really care for the ending; I feel that it comes very suddenly and doesn't really wrap up well.  I also think that there should have been more space; as it is, it just ends up as five and a half minutes of constant noise.  I suppose that I am my own worst critic though, so if you didn't find those to be a problem, then awesome!

Once again, thank you!

Well I agree with what you said on the ending. But there was one tiny thing that got to me. A part where is sounds like the piano over takes the cello for a little bit. It sounded great to me either way. Oh one more tiny thing...when going to another..im not sure what to call it..uh..hm. well when you switch it up a bit from one thing to another it is very sudden, to smoothly transition from one piece to a different one would help. I know i didnt explain that well, Hopefully you get what I mean.

• Brohoof 1

All I have to say is: Amazing!  :lol:  I absolutely loved it.  I sounded like it was made from Pachelbel himself.  Did you actually write the piano accompaniment yourself?  That's some serious musical skill you got there.

The ending though could use some improvements.  I don't know much about composition, but I think it sounds like it belongs in the middle of the song instead of the end.  But that's just my opinion.

I would've preferred an actual live recording.  I just don't really like computerized and robotic sounds.

I'm actually interested in composition as well, but I'm only 16.  The only experience I have is some random piece for trumpet for a homework assignment in 8th grade that wasn't really that good, and a 6 measure bass solo I had made for jazz band, which people said was amazing, but it was in 6/8 when the song was 4/4.  hope to take a couple music classes once I'm in college, especially composition and private lessons.

Anyway, this piece is pretty awesome.  There's some great potential in you.

• Brohoof 1

Oh one more tiny thing...when going to another..im not sure what to call it..uh..hm. well when you switch it up a bit from one thing to another it is very sudden, to smoothly transition from one piece to a different one would help. I know i didnt explain that well, Hopefully you get what I mean.

I think that I get what you mean; the transition between different themes, right?  Yeah, I agree, that could probably use some work.  Once again, thank you for the comments!

Did you actually write the piano accompaniment yourself?  That's some serious musical skill you got there.

And thank you as well!  I did do the piano accompaniment, but it's really not as difficult as you might think, especially when you have a program that lets you just punch the notes onto a staff line and play them back perfectly.  All that I really have to worry about is whether or not a pianist can physically play what I write.

The ending though could use some improvements.  I don't know much about composition, but I think it sounds like it belongs in the middle of the song instead of the end.  But that's just my opinion.

I agree with you 100%.  I'm not very good at writing endings yet...  I think that the only piece I've done that had a halfway decent ending is this really bizarre electroacoustic work that I'm not even sure if I understand.

I would've preferred an actual live recording.  I just don't really like computerized and robotic sounds.

Again, I agree completely.  Unfortunately, I can't make a live recording myself, and I don't know anyone else who could either...

I'm actually interested in composition as well, but I'm only 16.  The only experience I have is some random piece for trumpet for a homework assignment in 8th grade that wasn't really that good, and a 6 measure bass solo I had made for jazz band, which people said was amazing, but it was in 6/8 when the song was 4/4.  hope to take a couple music classes once I'm in college, especially composition and private lessons.

Oh cool!  Don't get discouraged just because you're young; it's never too early to start!  There's actually a pretty decent free music notation program out there called MuseScore, so I'd definitely recommend playing around with that.  It's got a few bugs and its sound library is pretty lousy, but it's free, and that's the most important thing.  Also, if your high school offers any music theory courses, go for it.  Music theory is the root of composition, and while it's not technically necessary (I know a few people who can't even read sheet music, but still create really beautiful works) it is helpful (and interesting).

Anyways, I appreciate the comments, and thanks again!

• Brohoof 1