Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

BronyMate

Iridescent Quill

Hello all, I swear I'm not a rep for this or affiliated at all with it, but just curious what you guys think of bronymate, a dating site for bronies? Is anyone here on it besides me? I think it's too much money but I did the three day trial just to read my messages.

• Brohoof 1

Seems like a cool site, I'm not on it myself but you know it's a cool idea to find a partner with similar interests I guess. Guess many could argue that because of the gender ratio it wouldn't work but you never know unless you try. So yeah, I think it's cool but it's not something I'd go into myself.

Seems like a cool site, I'm not on it myself but you know it's a cool idea to find a partner with similar interests I guess. Guess many could argue that because of the gender ratio it wouldn't work but you never know unless you try. So yeah, I think it's cool but it's not something I'd go into myself.

Yeah, the gender ratio might be an issue, because there are definitely more males on the finding your special some pony thread on here. I thought, being female though, I'd give it a shot. Couldn't hurt, right?

• Brohoof 2

Might as well post my thoughts here, as a former user of the site. This is copypasted from my blog on FimFiction.

Let's start from the beginning. About two-three months ago, Bronymate popped up on the internet as the first brony dating site (as far as I know). It recieved mixed reactions, from rejoice to disgust. I myself thought it was just going to be a hotbed for neckbeards, so in my usual fashion, I made an account and prepared to troll the everlasting shit out of the men who would inevitably pretend to be women.

I was shocked to find that the site wasn't populated by neckbeards. In fact, the site had quite a few normal looking people. I felt like I did when I went to Equestria LA in 2013. Sure, there were neckbeards and shit, but that isn't what matters. So, I halted my trolling, and actually put some efforts into trying to meet some new people, at least try to get some new readers and maybe get some new friends out of it.

Overall, things seemed pretty good.

But that changed. This change started with the censoring of external links, such as emails, Facebook accounts, FimFiction, and even numbers. This effectively prevented people from communicating outside of Bronymate unless you were clever about it. This was rather annoying, but at the time, I just thought it was some stupid thing to prevent getting sued, but now I'm sure it was the first attempt to start forcing people to pay for the site.

This didn't get to me, though. I continued talking to people. Me and the people I talked to were clever enough to bypass the bullshit and get into contact with each other.

Then, the owners of the site basically removed all the features from a so called "free to use" site necessary to talk with people. All you could do was send messages that most people couldn't read anyways since you had to pay to read messages. Effectively, me and everyone else was fucked.

Enraged by this show of greed, I made my way to the Facebook page and made my voice heard. I didn't act rudely or cuss. Nothing like that. The most I did was claim they were trying to scam people out of their money. Any legitimate business or site owner would actual respond to my criticisms and try to sort it out so they could look good and please their userbase. But they didn't. Instead, they deleted my post as well as the dozens of posts I saw like mine and blocked me from commenting on their page.

Shortly after, I started receiving messages from "people" on Bronymate. I sent those people messages about how I couldn't read their messages and where they could find me, then I noticed something that each of those accounts had in common. First, they all had the same grammar and spelling skill, so their descriptions were all written in the same way. Second, they were all women looking for men, and they were all above sevens when it came to looks. It was pretty obvious to me then that Bronymate was making false accounts and sending messages to accounts that people couldn't read in an attempt to get people to pay for the ability to read and respond to these messages.

It's quite clear what the whole point of Bronymate is. It's not to help people among the fandom socialize and make new friends, possibly more. The whole purpose of the site is to make money off those who fall for their bullshit. You can't tell me that you need to force people to pay to keep the site running. They had advertisements, and there are plenty of sites that can run off ads, and even if that wasn't enough, anyone who's been in this fandom knows if you ask bronies to donate to something, especially something like this, they will donate to it.

Those of you who read this, avoid Bronymate at all costs. Try to prevents others from using it as well. Help me get the word out so people don't fall for this scam.

Edited by MarineMarksman
  • Brohoof 12

I don't exactly get the point of dating websites, but hey, it's nice to have a brony one. I guess.

I honestly don't care or get the point of this, I've never exactly gotten the point of romance.

• Brohoof 1

As for those of you looking for romance, trust me when I say this, the internet isn't the best way to find your special someone.

Sure, I've had a few good long distance relationships (in fact, I had one that lasted three whole years), but the best way to meet someone is off the computer. It's more difficult, but it pays off. Besides, from my trolling days and from what I hear from my mom, there's way too many creeps and crazy people out there to deal with on dating sites.

• Brohoof 1

Might as well post my thoughts here, as a former user of the site. This is copypasted from my blog on FimFiction.

Let's start from the beginning. About two-three months ago, Bronymate popped up on the internet as the first brony dating site (as far as I know). It recieved mixed reactions, from rejoice to disgust. I myself thought it was just going to be a hotbed for neckbeards, so in my usual fashion, I made an account and prepared to troll the everlasting shit out of the men who would inevitably pretend to be women.

I was shocked to find that the site wasn't populated by neckbeards. In fact, the site had quite a few normal looking people. I felt like I did when I went to Equestria LA in 2013. Sure, there were neckbeards and shit, but that isn't what matters. So, I halted my trolling, and actually put some efforts into trying to meet some new people, at least try to get some new readers and maybe get some new friends out of it.

But that changed. This change started with the censoring of external links, such as emails, Facebook accounts, FimFiction, and even numbers. This effectively prevented people from communicating outside of Bronymate unless you were clever about it. This was rather annoying, but at the time, I just thought it was some stupid thing to prevent getting sued, but now I'm sure it was the first attempt to start forcing people to pay for the site.

This didn't get to me, though. I continued talking to people. Me and the people I talked to were clever enough to bypass the bullshit and get into contact with each other.

Then, the owners of the site basically removed all the features from a so called "free to use" site necessary to talk with people. All you could do was send messages that most people couldn't read anyways since you had to pay to read messages. Effectively, me and everyone else was fucked.

Enraged by this show of greed, I made my way to the Facebook page and made my voice heard. I didn't act rudely or cuss. Nothing like that. The most I did was claim they were trying to scam people out of their money. Any legitimate business or site owner would actual respond to my criticisms and try to sort it out so they could look good and please their userbase. But they didn't. Instead, they deleted my post as well as the dozens of posts I saw like mine and blocked me from commenting on their page.

Shortly after, I started receiving messages from "people" on Bronymate. I sent those people messages about how I couldn't read their messages and where they could find me, then I noticed something that each of those accounts had in common. First, they all had the same grammar and spelling skill, so their descriptions were all written in the same way. Second, they were all women looking for men, and they were all above sevens when it came to looks. It was pretty obvious to me then that Bronymate was making false accounts and sending messages to accounts that people couldn't read in an attempt to get people to pay for the ability to read and respond to these messages.

It's quite clear what the whole point of Bronymate is. It's not to help people among the fandom socialize and make new friends, possibly more. The whole purpose of the site is to make money off those who fall for their bullshit. You can't tell me that you need to force people to pay to keep the site running. They had advertisements, and there are plenty of sites that can run off ads, and even if that wasn't enough, anyone who's been in this fandom knows if you ask bronies to donate to something, especially something like this, they will donate to it.

Those of you who read this, avoid Bronymate at all costs. Try to prevents others from using it as well. Help me get the word out so people don't fall for this scam.

Wow, kind of regretting spending three bucks on this. I just got so curious about my messages that I thought eh, it's three bucks, why not. Still not much money, but if they are scamming people, I regret it...

Wow, that sounds like a really dishonest site. I'll heed your advice and keep away from it.

Just another scam site if you ask me. Sure there are real people on there, but like most other pay date sites it also contains a lot of trolls and made up accounts. You'll get sent a message if you're a free account, and then you get suckered into buying a 3 day trial or whatever. You let it lapse and the cycle starts over in a month or so.

You either get out there in real life to find someone, or stick to the pure free sites like okcupid. The ones that want money, especially the ones that want money to even read messages, are just troll sites looking to exploit the lonely.

Once I found out they required cash just to read messages I just laughed my ass of and moved on. I feel really bad for the people that are desperate enough to fall for this crap, but I may want a girlfriend but I am nobodys chump.

Wow, kind of regretting spending three bucks on this. I just got so curious about my messages that I thought eh, it's three bucks, why not. Still not much money, but if they are scamming people, I regret it...

Honestly, if they hadn't reacted the way they did and didn't act so dishonestly, I would have no problem paying for it. While I stand by what I said about meeting people in real life, I did meet a few nice people on the site (who have also since left the site).

Speaking of those people I met, one of them is actually building a site like Bronymate that isn't in the interest of making a quick buck. So if you're interested in that, I can keep you posted.

Honestly, if they hadn't reacted the way they did and didn't act so dishonestly, I would have no problem paying for it. While I stand by what I said about meeting people in real life, I did meet a few nice people on the site (who have also since left the site).

Speaking of those people I met, one of them is actually building a site like Bronymate that isn't in the interest of making a quick buck. So if you're interested in that, I can keep you posted.

I would be interested in that. I mainly signed up on the site looking for like minded friends, with the possibility of something more. I mean you can't go into something knowing it will turn into a relationship. It just has to come naturally.

Ha, that's great.

And you're right, it's better to meet someone in real life, but some of us don't have that option. Social lives can sometimes be lacking, for any number of reasons.

I hear ya. I'm homeschooled, so I don't have a lot of opportunities to actually meet someone. I'm hoping I might get lucky at BABScon, as I'm in much better shape than I used to be, but I have my doubts.

Yes, that would indeed be appreciated.

I would be interested in that. I mainly signed up on the site looking for like minded friends, with the possibility of something more. I mean you can't go into something knowing it will turn into a relationship. It just has to come naturally.

I'll send you guys messages when it's up and running.

I agree with you on that. It would be too awkward just going straight into a relationship, and from my experience, it doesn't work out too well.

• Brohoof 3

@

mmm... I can see why people might have joined such a site... I might even had... until I heard you'd have to pay for messages that's just scamming. Anyhow good luck finding you special somepony!!!  ;)

@@MarineMarksman,

BTW if you would pm me too ^^ might be a cool thing that site! :)

Edited by Wayzer
  • Brohoof 1

@

mmm... I can see why people might have joined such a site... I might even had... until I heard you'd have to pay for messages that's just scamming. Anyhow good luck finding you special somepony!!!  ;)

@@MarineMarksman,

BTW if you would pm me too ^^ might be a cool thing that site! :)

No problem brother. It might be a bit before the site is ready, though.

• Brohoof 1

I hear ya. I'm homeschooled, so I don't have a lot of opportunities to actually meet someone. I'm hoping I might get lucky at BABScon, as I'm in much better shape than I used to be, but I have my doubts.

Homeschoolers to the max! :D I'm homeschooled as well so I can relate to that, That's one of the reasons I became a brony in the first place. I still am not a fan of online dating because half the time it's bullsh!t. Plain as that.

I'll send you guys messages when it's up and running.

I agree with you on that. It would be too awkward just going straight into a relationship, and from my experience, it doesn't work out too well.

Yeah it was oh so much easier meeting people when I was in school. Homeschooling is rather a different thing though.

• Brohoof 1