Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

open Who Murdered Mary Sue Grafton? (RP Thread)

Stancet

Who Murdered Mary Sue Grafton?

Everypony is a detective... and everypony is a suspect. Nopony knows who did it but you are given the clues and it’s possible you might not survive the murderer or the haunted house trapping you till it’s over! Highly experimental type of RP!

OOC Thread

It was supposed to be dinner and a mystery at Big Manor House with the famous mystery writer, Mary Sue Grafton. But things quickly go wrong. After waking up in the dinning room after a lapse in time everypony finds the legendary novelist dead in her study behind a locked door. Even worse, the murderer's attempt to make everypony loose their memory seems to have gone wrong and no pony can remember which of them did it. However, they seem to remember a lot about everypony else, and the guests start accusing each other of the crime. Could it get any worse? The house is a haunted maze filled with secret passages and the undead ghost of Mary Sue herself threatens to destroy anypony who leaves her house. Lost and confused, you must know who to trust and who to suspect. Follow the clues and figure out which of you is the one who did it.

Evidence Rules:
In this roleplay, all ten players must single out one character who has the Means, Motive and Opportunity to commit the murder in question. One player will be predetermined and picked randomly to be the real murderer. However, everypony has amnesia and nobody knows the truth. So, before the roleplay, every player will be given a personal message. Each player will receive two things. You might want a piece of paper to keep track of the things you know.

1) Players will be given a clue. They will be told the exact Means, the exact Motive, or the exact Opportunity behind the crime. You are told ONLY ONE, so figuring out the other two clues for yourself is essential. IMPORTANT: This clue is Concrete Proof! You must talk and you must question other players if you’re going to have all three clues and pin the blame on somepony.
2) Players will also be given the complete profile of another character (the truth behind your own character is going to be a mystery from even yourself). You will be told the Means, Motive and Opportunity behind another player’s character, giving you reason to suspect them of this crime. IMPORTANT: This profile is NOT Evidence! This profile is only circumstantial, so the character you are suspecting is not guilty unless you prove their Means, Motive and Opportunity match the clues you have discovered.

Before the start of the game, a murderer will be predetermined among the playable characters. Clues specifying the Means, Motive and Opportunity are scattered among the players. Only ONE character will have a profile that matches the Means, Motive and Opportunity specified by the clues given to everypony as Concrete Proof. This one pony is the true murderer and everypony else is innocent.

To solve this case, you must talk and you must share your clues with other players. After you’ve determined the Means, Motive and Opportunity behind the murder, find a character profile that matches these clues. Remember, you must be suspicious, because you can’t tell if you’re talking to somepony innocent, or a cold blooded murderer.

In the end, the murderer must be exposed and all the players must pool their evidence. If evidence supports the theory, the pony being framed must give up or be captured. But remember, the murderer can strike back too. Any player can freely attack another person’s character for any reason (remember, no God modding).

Player Rules:

1) OMNISCIENCE: IMPORTANT! Players are free to read each other’s posts, but your character does NOT have an all-seeing eye. Your character doesn’t know anything, unless they’re in the same room and listening to the words being spoken. You CAN’T steal evidence by just reading it from another person’s post. Having a piece of paper to keep track of stuff you know might be useful.
2) CONSIDERATION: This RP Thread is meant to be fun, but I would encourage people not to be accusing everypony of murder with every other post you’re making. Please don’t go making your character mean spirited and accusing when people are trying to have a good time. For that matter, don’t take it too personally when it starts happening either.
3) RELIABILITY: This is EXTREMELY important! Don’t sign on unless you want to join in. At the start of the roleplay there will be a predetermined murderer. You could likely be that murderer and if you stop responding players will get confused if the evidence doesn’t single one of them out. For that reason, your character will quickly be killed off if you don’t post AT LEAST once a week and their role will be given to somepony else. If you have to leave, please specify how long we can expect you to be gone in the OOC Thread.
4) INTERACTIONS: If your character is afraid of the evidence being stalked up against them, or you believe somepony dangerous is maybe the murderer, you are free to attack. However, you are NOT allowed to God mod and decree the victim dead without the player’s consent. Also, solving this other crime is not necessary to completing this roleplay.

Other Rules:

1) GENERAL: Follow MLP Forums’ usual rules, like no God Modding, no Mary Sues and such.
2) NARRATIVE: For simplicity sake, write all your posts with a Third Person Narrative. Don’t tell the story from the viewpoint of your character (that just makes things confusing).
3) GRAMMAR: Give each post at least one spell check. Use proper spelling, divide paragraphs, use proper punctuation, etc etc. Just please make it easy for others to read what you write.
4) CENSORSHIP: Keep all content to a PG-13 rating. You may mention flirting and kissing but NO sexually content. Be mindful how many times you swear. You may write about blood but NO gore please. Though this is a murder mystery, any violence (as well as killing) should be handled in a tasteful manner.
5) CANON: This is a haunted murder mystery that’s otherwise like a novel by Agatha Christie. Don’t introduce plot elements or devices that don’t fit the setting, and no using time machines to change that.

Suspects:
1) Marina Emerald
2) Distance Traveler
3) Masquerade
4) Royroger/Cherry Cola
5) Deluded Mind
6) Aréte
7) Chain Mail
8) Blue Belle
9)
10)

Edited by Stancet

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Traveller wandered the building, dazed and lost. He remembered his notebook, which told him that he was at a party for a novelist. That was all he knew though, besides his name, Distance Traveller, scrawled on the front. The grey Pegasus searched for anything that might help him.

@@Stancet

Traveller looked around. He turned his he'd to the left and spotted an open door. He bumped into a blue mare. 'Sorry...' He mumbled quietly as he moved towards the door.

Edited by Delernil

It was the dinning room. Marina Emerald did not recall how she ended up here; only that she woke up moments ago to find herself in this mysterious manor house. When Distance Traveler bumped into her she backed away and took no offense. "Never you mind," she said. "Truthfully, I'm glad to see somepony else who's not unconscious."

At that, she turned and showed him the rest of the house guests scattered across the dinning room floor. Some were just starting to wake up as she was looking down upon them. Even though they seemed dead it was a relief it wasn't actually true of any of them. Even so, Marina Emerald couldn't shake the funny feeling she had inside. The loss of some crucial memories seemed partly to blame.

She turned to the grey pegasus with a curious look. "Forgive me for asking honey, but who exactly are you?"

Traveller watched along curiously. 'I...I'm Distance Traveller. I think.' He said with a sheepish grin. 'I don't remember anything besides that. And even that was only because I kept it on the cover of my blue notebook. I don't even know.' He added with a shrug. He walked along the guests and surveyed them. He felt he knew them, but he couldn't remember their names or anything.

Deluded Mind awoke suddenly. He was sprawled on the floor of what seemed like a dining hall.  As he rose, he brought his hoof to his head, trying to calm the throbbing within. 

'Ugh, wha- what the heck?...' he mumbled when his consciousness finally came back completely. 'What in the world is going on?...'

His back limbs felt numb, so he refrained from rising. And he saw an unconscious body lay next to him.

'Uh, hello?' he began stating loudly, 'Is anypony else around here?'

With a sharp intake of breath, the earth pony known as Royroger stood up in a single fluid motion and looked around frantically. "Don't panic! Nobody panic! Stay under... Oh dear. I haven't the faintest idea where I am... Why was I yelling? No matter..." Royroger looked around the room slowly, glancing at the unconscious ponies but gazing fully at the upright ones. "Can someone give me any clue as to where I am?"

Masquerade awoke on the cold, unforgiving floor. He rose from the floor. "W-What has happened?" He questioned, looking around. He really couldn't remember much. He remembered who he was, and not many other details beside such. He was pleased, however, to find his cloak and mask were still with him. "Hmm, where am I?" He asked himself.

Traveller dug out his notebook and flipped it open.

'The best I know is that we are at a novelist's party. Why we don't have any idea what's going on, I can't tell. I'm Traveller. It's nice to meet the...conscious ones at least.'

He finished as he slipped the book back into his saddle bags.

@@Super Mario Brony,

"Could you all keep it down." Chain Mail said, still laying face down. "Apparently, I can still get hammered." He said, 'stupid injections, not working as well as they said' he muttered under his breath. "Also, no one seems to be able to remember anything from the last couple of hours at the least. Since none of us know why, we're a bit stuck until we can get our bearings." He said, only half aware of what all was going on around him.

Traveller dug out his notebook and flipped it open.

'The best I know is that we are at a novelist's party. Why we don't have any idea what's going on, I can't tell. I'm Traveller. It's nice to meet the...conscious ones at least.'

He finished as he slipped the book back into his saddle bags.

Masquerade awoke on the cold, unforgiving floor. He rose from the floor. "W-What has happened?" He questioned, looking around. He really couldn't remember much. He remembered who he was, and not many other details beside such. He was pleased, however, to find his cloak and mask were still with him. "Hmm, where am I?" He asked himself.

With a sharp intake of breath, the earth pony known as Royroger stood up in a single fluid motion and looked around frantically. "Don't panic! Nobody panic! Stay under... Oh dear. I haven't the faintest idea where I am... Why was I yelling? No matter..." Royroger looked around the room slowly, glancing at the unconscious ponies but gazing fully at the upright ones. "Can someone give me any clue as to where I am?"

@@Delernil,

Royroger nodded. "Thank you. Likewise, I suppose."

@@GameytheGeemer,

"And yes, you are correct... I think. By any deduction that could made at the moment, every attendant to this - party you said? - Has been incapacitated one way or another,  by means of.... Well I couldn't be sure really. I'd assume a drug in the tea but that could be a long shot. Is everyone alright? Nobody's been harmed?" 

@@GameytheGeemer,

'Oh, um, sorry about that. Heh heh.' Deluded chuckled nervously. He then got on all fours, feeling back in his hind legs, and made his way to the gray pony he saw holding a notebook earlier.

@@Delernil,

'It's nice to meet with you, Mr. Traveller.' Deluded stated to him. 'Um, I don't supposed you know anything else about what we're doing here, do you?'

'Actually, that might work. I had a bunch of empty glasses near me. Explains why my memory was pretty much wiped. I don't think anyone is harmed.' Traveller said. He wrote down what they had learned so far in his notebook and slipped it back. 'I could keep all out facts in the book. That seems or be our only link other than memories.'

'No, not really.'

Edited by Delernil

@@Ampharos

"Yeah, it would seem that way." He said, picking himself up. Again, it felt like his mind was trying to claw its way out of his skull.

"As for injuries, I can only attest that I've got the worst hangover in my life, and since I haven't had one in years, drugs are almost certainly in play." He added, using what reasoning powers he still had.

"I say we stick together, keep an eye out for the would be assailant that was out to get us." He added, "I'll take point."

@@Delernil,

Royroger took out a notebook himself, placing it on the table and writing with a pencil in mouth. Once he was done, he looked at Traveller and nodded. "Hm. quite. But I think I'll take my own information thank you. None of us remember who the culprit of this situation was, so I find it best not to trust anyone fully at the moment."

@@GameytheGeemer,

Roy nodded at the other pony. "Still, I wouldn't rest all your suspicions on drugs. Remember, we have no idea what happened. For all you know, you could have very well drank yourself silly, despite any possible issues with that conclusion. I'd leave it as a possibility in the back of your mind. Now are we positive nopony has been harmed? Check the bodies. All of them. They look unconscious but for all we know every single one of them could be dead." Roy quickly began milling around, checking the pulses of all the unconscious ponies. 

Traveller shrugged. It was understandable. He walked around, checking pulses. He saw that open door again. Curiosity got the better of him. He walked in and found a mare laying on the floor. He ran over and checked her pulse. Nothing. He checked again. Nothing.

'Uh, guys...I think I found the victim.'

"Well," began Masquerade, "I guess now would be as good of a time as ever to find where I am and what has occurred." Said Masquerade. He walked around for a bit, clutching his cloak as if it was his only source of comfort. He walked into a room with a few other ponies. Some awake, some in a comatose state. "What is this?" He asked.

@@Ampharos,

"Fair enough." He said, 'from somepony who doesn't know about me anyway, not worth the effort it would take to explain' the thought to himself. "Still, if they were all dead than it would have to be a poison. The fact that some of you are alive is proof that there wasn't enough to kill all of them. Lack of blunt trauma and puncture wounds not present. They are all alive." He said, scanning over the room.

'Uh, guys...I think I found the victim.'

(Wow, one of the ten died before they got a chance. JK, though do check the murder scene again, it's in a locked study)

@@super2379,

Royroger swung his head around at the newcomer. He wouldn't say anything yet, but this pony was his prime suspect already. Why had he been away from the rest of the group? A simple explanation came to Roy's mind but he decided to keep it to himself for now. "Well what does it look like? We're having a slumber party of course! Oh dear me, my apologies. Little riled up over the situation and your idiocy doesn't help. From what I've found this is some sort of party for a novelist, nearly everyone is unconscious, and none of us remembered what happened. It's quite clear really." The fact that this pony was suspicious already and the fact that he had asked such a simple question (to Roy) had made him quite smart (as in smart arse). The stress of the situation didn't help. 

"I suggest we all look around now. There may be other ponies scattered around the house, as made apparent by this bloke here." Roy immediately bounded out of the room, searching around the house for any victims of a crime.

Edited by Ampharos

@@Ampharos

Masquerade wasn't amused at the slumber party remark. "I think it's quite obvious." Said Masquerade, after hearing the actual explanation. "You merely should have given me a second to fully awaken." Said Masquerade. He heard the idea of searching the house. He liked the idea. "Fine. I guess then we might as well search." Said Masquerade.

Traveller scribbled down what he saw and walked out. He wasn't exactly an expert at solving things. He looked around. A new comer had joined them. 'Hi.' He said flatly as he searched around. He just saw what he expected. Broken glasses. 'Hey, do you think there is a way to find out who drank what? I showed that the more you drank the less you remembered. Somebody might remember quite a lot.'

@@Delernil,

'Well, don't look at me! I don't remember drinking anything... scratch that, actually, I don't remember anything period!' Deluded started to talk, when something dawned on him. He can't recall why he is here, he can't recall where "here" is...

He can't even recall WHO he is.

'Oh no... c'mon, THINK! Who ARE you? You can't seriously have forgotten your own name!' Thoughts started racing through Deluded's head, and he became lost in his train of thought.

@Delernil,

"I remember that I had a few glasses of wine. Nothing too heavy all things considered anyway, and I can remember until around the time I arrived at this infernal building." He said. "I only remember the wine because men in my position drink to remember the liquor and forget the pain." He said, his voice returning to it's prior neutrality. 

@Delernil,

Edited by GameytheGeemer

'I drank quite a lot. That would mean more of the poison equals more memory loss.' Traveller mused as he looked around. 'Someone had to bring the stuff in. That means that it is still in this building. Finding it might help.' He suggested with a shrug. 'Even if the attacker left, he had to have a sign of him being here somewhere. Broken locks. Hoofprints. Something.'

Roy suddenly came back into the room and looked around at the rest of the group. He tugged at his collar a bit as he continued looking around. "As I said, drugs shouldn't be held highly just yet. I have no recollection of drinking very much, but I seem to have forgotten about as much as all of you. It's a possibility that the drug is strong, but we shouldn't keep at highest just yet."

@@Ampharos,

"While I'm in no place to speak for anypony else, if you drank a large enough dose of a poison, of which there are several in the world that could have this effect, probably, than how would you remember consuming it. Besides, as the primary drink choice seems to be tea, but I had wine, than the fact that the results are the same across the board that makes poison that much more likely now than before." He argued.