Best friends list

Sunshower Raindrops

Hi, I think that there should be a best friends list. I think that there should be an option that friends you particularly talk to can get added to a certain list.it will make it easier to find these friends, comment back to them, collaborate (for people that do big project), ect. I find my idea a good one, and think it should get a chance

~~~ Sunshower rains

• Brohoof 1

Let's rephrase this into more developer/admin friendly talk:

We, the only surviving veterans of the thousand year holy war started over a slight against Fluttershy, in which many slaps were exchanged, humbly implore our overworked admins to consider adding the above feature.

• Brohoof 2

mlp___twilight_sparkle_icon_by_pokenomno

(edited)

There are several topics about best friends already, and those created a bit of an uproar because, apparently, they "promoted elitism." While I don't think that's the case in the slightest, what matters here is that people freaked out about them and what not, and topics usually die out over time. If those topics could create an uproar on a large enough scale that I and a few others got personally insulted several times because we were ones being mentioned frequently, imagine the uproar that would be spawned if it became a permanent feature -_-

While I like the idea, the reactions in the past that "favorite member" and "best friends" topics have garnered would lead me to believe that it's in the whole community's best interest if this weren't to become a feature, because I personally don't enjoy drama. If that weren't the case, I'd most likely support this feature being added :D

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

CpYKgl1.png

He who is Positively Obsessed With All Things Rarity!!!

"Not everyone who is pretty is necessarily beautiful. For those two to come together is truly a Rarity"

-Jacob G. Rosenberg

Signature by @FadedSkies

Well it sounds like a cool idea, most members I've seen just list their favorite members in their profile anyways. Not to mention, there have been several threads created for this idea, all causing drama due to supposedly promoting elitism. So yeah, good idea, but it might cause a forum uproar.

A lot of forums and games have this. It is useful, like lets say you're trying to see if someone responded to ur RP but you have so many friends ur notifications keeps jamming up. Have a separate one for best friends. Also make it so no1 can see who you chose as best friends so no feelings get hurt.

oh Idea maybe a notification disabler for certain members, but you could still see em if you go into the actual notification page, so you can only see the ones that you need to see at the moment.

• Brohoof 1

rLOxYQL.gif

And I won't allow you to blind those who are important to me!

Looking for some friends to chat with? Join The Party Pony Plaza! Click Here!

Show me who I am HERE.

OCs: Faron Trail Burning Ash Wendy Skies

Anyone who used MySpace back in the day knows this would never work, and is extremely counter productive. It also defeats the purpose of a friends list and creates unneeded drama.

• Brohoof 1

Meh I don't really see the point. Just remove the people you don't feel you're as close to from your friendlist and keep the ones you want. I think there's no need to feel bad about removing people, I mean if you barely even talk to them or know them very well, there's not really a point to have them on your friend list in the first place.

• Brohoof 1

img-2823101-1-UpBh15J.png

Or, you could only add people you really talk to as friends.

Where's the fun in that? I like to talk to more than a selected group of people, but apparently people want me to stay in one group. (Looking at you highschool >_> )

• Brohoof 2

rLOxYQL.gif

And I won't allow you to blind those who are important to me!

Looking for some friends to chat with? Join The Party Pony Plaza! Click Here!

Show me who I am HERE.

OCs: Faron Trail Burning Ash Wendy Skies

Where's the fun in that? I like to talk to more than a selected group of people, but apparently people want me to stay in one group. (Looking at you highschool >_> )

Exactly. It's not that I dont talk to my other friends, but there are a select group that I constantly talk too, and would like to have them in a separate group for easier finds.

Nah. Many users here simply keep their friendlists reduced to good friends so they don't have ten pages of "friends".

Besides, then I feel like I'd have to convince certain people to put me on their best friends list, like being their friend isn't enough :P.

img-18807-1-EVnkzff.png

Sig by Wolf, Handwriting by SparklingSwirls

While I can definitely see how this suggestion would be useful, I don't know whether or not it's possible with IP.Board software. I just poked through the IPS Marketplace a bit and I couldn't find any hooks for something like this, so the developers would have to custom-make one. If that is possible, this would have to be a low priority project due to how many other issues they have to contend with first. 

Additionally, we currently have some version of IP.Board 3. IP.Board 4 is currently under development, and one of its many alterations is the removal of the "friends" feature with a "followers" feature in its stead. It would essentially serve the same or a similar function as having someone on your friend's list, if I understand correctly. 

If we end up deciding to upgrade to IP.Board 4 once it is released, I could definitely see the use for something akin to a best friends feature: it could be useful to differentiate between those whose content you wanted to follow, and those who you truly considered friends. Just to clarify, however, I have no idea whether or not we will ever migrate to IP.Board 4, and if we do there is a possibility we would be able to retain features from IP.Board 3, such as the friends feature. However, that is purely hypothetical and may not be possible.

That being said, if a best friends feature is ever implemented people should not be able to at all view other people's best friends list, in order to avoid the issue in regard to potential drama.

In the meantime, a good solution is to only add people to your friends list who you truly consider friends if you wish to make a more selective utilization of the friends system.

• Brohoof 1

MLPFSignature.png.59d9585b08bc894da6c58dade70c9bab.png

• 2 weeks later...